What shocks for comfort & handling compromise in BA 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: What shocks for comfort & handling compromise in BA
Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: BA mkII XR8

NSW, Australia

Has anyone played around with a few different types of rear shocks on a BA XR8 or GT?
I keep colapsing the RH rear factory shock absorber and have decided its time to upgrade em, but with so many choices available its hard to pick whats best for me. I need to retain some comfort, but when it comes to the crunch I need them to firm up before the guts hits the road (as it now does occasionally).
I have been recomended monroe GT sports by the local parts distributor, but am unsure if its just cos he makes more $$$$
He said they are multi stage valved, & not dependant on ride height, and are short enough so they dont bottom out before the rest of the suspension?
they sound too good to be true, but if someone else has tried & proven them to be this good, the choice is made
cheers kenny

IF YOU HAVE IT UNDER CONTROL
YOU SIMPLY DON'T HAVE ENOUGH POWER!!!
Detroit 8V71 for sale, taking offers

Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:28 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Fairmont

VIC, Australia

If you've already had issues with the rear shocks i'd stay away from Monroe shocks as they supply the majority of OEMs. Not sure who supplies the standard shocks for the BA's but if you're gonna do it, do it properly. I've used Pedders in the past and never had any issues besides the front shocks going soft (which you'd expect). The rears were in excellent condition after 100,000 or so kms. I currently use Koni Yellows and to date I can't fault them.. the car is an inch lower than before (total drop of about 75mm) but its more comfortable. If they're too expensive try the Koni Reds.

V8 Windsor here we come.....

Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: BA mkII XR8

NSW, Australia

yeah, I'm sure they are monroe, thats why I am a little weary of getting the GT sport shocks, I think the GT & XR8's were fitted with a sports type shock & its possible that they already are GT sports, just without the flash paint job & stickers.
I have also been recomended by another suspension repairer, ULTIMA multi staged short stroke with 45mm piston/bore, he feels this is possibly the best bolt on, non adjustable shock for the BA, and they are so confident in quality that they give a 3 year 100,000km warranty
BUT check out the price.... $140 a pair!
have you heard anything bad about em?

IF YOU HAVE IT UNDER CONTROL
YOU SIMPLY DON'T HAVE ENOUGH POWER!!!
Detroit 8V71 for sale, taking offers

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]