Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: wheel bearing possibly, maybe brake f**k up
Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF daily, xc project

NSW, Australia

again my car is riddled with issues,

so here goes
Noise coming from front left wheel, you all know how when discs wear they leave a lip or the edges, well the discs had that but now with this grinding noise the passenger side rotor is rubbing against something and i cant make out what, its only rubbing on the outside of the disc, so on the outside diameter on the wheel side of the disc,

Strange Aye,

So i jacked the car up took off the wheel and found there is an massive about of play so i took off the grease cap removed the outer bearing cleaned it up repacked it and tightened up, less play but still way too much.

can wheel bearings squash?
would replaceing the bearing reduce this play.

If not the bearing what else maybe caliper wise should i look for.

ef falcon daily driver
78 xc falcon 500 project
http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/bradley4567-s-xc-t83750.html

calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

Post subject: Re: wheel bearing possibly, maybe brake f**k up
Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:44 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

bradley4567 wrote:
again my car is riddled with issues,

so here goes
Noise coming from front left wheel, you all know how when discs wear they leave a lip or the edges, well the discs had that but now with this grinding noise the passenger side rotor is rubbing against something and i cant make out what, its only rubbing on the outside of the disc, so on the outside diameter on the wheel side of the disc,

Strange Aye,

So i jacked the car up took off the wheel and found there is an massive about of play so i took off the grease cap removed the outer bearing cleaned it up repacked it and tightened up, less play but still way too much.

can wheel bearings squash?
would replaceing the bearing reduce this play.

If not the bearing what else maybe caliper wise should i look for.

Bearings can break due to wear and tear or being overtightened. It could also be the cups in the disc hub which have worn out. Best to replace both bearings and cups, and on both sides if you can.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

ok, but does this sound like it could be the cause?

cups? will these come with a new bearing?
i can replace both bearings thats no problem
anyone got an idea of price?

ef falcon daily driver
78 xc falcon 500 project

calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:57 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

bradley4567 wrote:
ok, but does this sound like it could be the cause?

cups? will these come with a new bearing?
i can replace both bearings thats no problem
anyone got an idea of price?

You can go to Repco or Burson and buy a bearing kit. Comes with all bearings (4 in total) and the cups. The cups are pushed into the hub, to get them out you have to hammer them out. Not sure how to put them in though without damaging the contact surface :?. Someone else might have to help you out.

In regards to play, if there is excessive play in the vertical, most likely bearings or cups are not seated right, broken or just worn out. I think suspension/steering might play a bit in the vertical, so check for any play when you wiggle the disc.

Might also you might want to check your brake caliper to make sure it's on tight and hasn't become lose for some reason. If one or both caliper retaining bolts have come lose, remove the bolts, give the thread a clean, put some Loctite on it (medium strength should do it) and then do the bolt back up.

Can't think of anything else at this time of the night/day

EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.

Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

thanks for your help man i'll give it a shot tomorrow depending on what shops are open and i'll let you know but there was minimal play in steering and the disc have about 15mm vertical play,

ef falcon daily driver
78 xc falcon 500 project

Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:12 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

bradley4567 wrote:
thanks for your help man i'll give it a shot tomorrow depending on what shops are open and i'll let you know but there was minimal play in steering and the disc have about 15mm vertical play,

That's a lot of play, I suggest having a look at the bearings pronto.

Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

looks like i'll be busy tomorrow

ef falcon daily driver
78 xc falcon 500 project

Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Wheel bearings by the sounds of it Brad.
To put the bearing cups in to the rotor you will need a brass drift or a large socket.
If you go the large socket method you need sockets that are the diametre of the outer of the cup and use that to tap them in.
If you use the brass drift you sit the cup in place and work it in side to side very carefully.
Onlyuse a brass drift as they are softer then the cup so you wont damage it. If you use a steel drift you WILL f**k the cup very very quickly.
Bearing kits will generally contain the inner and outer bearing , cups and seals. You will be looking at around $40 a side.
Dont be a a*** and only do the stuffed side. If one side has flogged out the other side isnt too far behind it. Do them both and that is one job off the list for reliability.
Tensioning the bearings correctly and seating them.
Pack all the bearings (make sure the stub axle , rotor etc is clean! You dont want to contaminate the new grease with old s**t).
Fit it all up and as you are tightening the bearing to seat it spin the rotor around. Sometimes it is easier to fit the wheel for this bit. If you seat the bearings without spinning the rotor you can crush the bearing.
Back off the bearing once it is seated. Tension the bearing with the wheel fitted but the caliper not. This way you can check the movement in it correctly as the caliper wont be keeping pressure on the disc and making it appear there is no movement when there is.
I generally tighten mine up a smidge too tight to allow for the first bit of bed in.
Go for a little drive of around 15km's keeping an eye on wheel bearing temps. If they get too hot or you get any signs of smoke you have done them up too tight. If you have a little drive and no issues , when you get back home jack the car back up and quickly check the movement in the wheel. They may have loosened off a little bit.
Sounds like a lot of work but it is a pretty easy job.
If you need to talk through it a bit give me a ring.
Hope this is of some help to you.
Matt

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

make sure you buy good brand bearings-skf,timmken.there are bearings out there that are to soft in the hardening.you can use the old cups to fit the new ones.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Outter bearing was ok inner bearing was no where to be found, but i did manage to get the cup out though,

i replaced the front left inner and outter bearings, cups, and oil seal locknut and split pin,
noise gone drives nicely now i just need to fix the white smoke and surging at idle issue

later this afternoon im going to replace the other front wheel bearing just to be on the safe side.

ef falcon daily driver
78 xc falcon 500 project

Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:42 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

bradley4567 wrote:
Outter bearing was ok inner bearing was no where to be found, but i did manage to get the cup out though,

i replaced the front left inner and outter bearings, cups, and oil seal locknut and split pin,
noise gone drives nicely now i just need to fix the white smoke and surging at idle issue

later this afternoon im going to replace the other front wheel bearing just to be on the safe side.

Sounds like you crushed the inner bearing :shock:, that's a good effort. Yeah good idea to do the other bearing as well...good to hear one problem solved :D

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]