Fordmods Logo

Which models of Falcon uses a steel or alloy tailshaft? 

 

Page 2 of 3 [ 32 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

 
 Post subject: Re: Which models of Falcon uses a steel or alloy tailshaft?
Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:46 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 4326

Joined: 30th Oct 2006

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

Location: Grafton
NSW, Australia

LWBs have an alloy shaft as you said due to the length.

 

_________________

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Which models of Falcon uses a steel or alloy tailshaft?
Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:17 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 1043

Joined: 7th Feb 2005

Location: Canberra
ACT, Australia

krisisdog wrote:
Speed limited = speed limited lol, pretty sure its self explanatory? Theyre limited to 180km/hr.
Sturmovik - nope, EF XR manuals will have them. Whats your ED?


In my sig, ED XR6 manual

 

_________________

1993 ED XR6 5speed Polynesian Green. Project car.

1998 EL XR8 Auto Hot Chilli Red. New daily and project

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Which models of Falcon uses a steel or alloy tailshaft?
Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:28 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 4326

Joined: 30th Oct 2006

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

Location: Grafton
NSW, Australia

Interesting... I would have thought itd have the alloy shaft then :|

 

_________________

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Which models of Falcon uses a steel or alloy tailshaft?
Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:43 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline

Age: 32

Posts: 251

Joined: 1st Jul 2006

Ride: EBII Fairmont 4.0 206rwkw

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

So a steel shaft is the way to go if for some reason you were going to do 180kmh+?

 

_________________

EBII Fairmont = 206rwkw
EL Fairmont = Daily

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Which models of Falcon uses a steel or alloy tailshaft?
Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 34

Posts: 1166

Joined: 31st Mar 2005

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef falcon, el fairmont ghia

Location: Christchurch
New Zealand

no alloy is the way to go
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Which models of Falcon uses a steel or alloy tailshaft?
Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 2563

Joined: 19th Feb 2007

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

Location: Lilydale
VIC, Australia

i dont understand why they would speed limit the cars to 180kmph when 180kmph is the sweet spot where they s**t them selfs.

 

_________________

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Which models of Falcon uses a steel or alloy tailshaft?
Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 2448

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 7 images

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

because after that speed the imbalances in the shaft start to get inertial weight that will overcome the tailshaft strength. The tailshaft will warp, or fold, or snap, and interesting things will/may happen - the car may stop, the tailshaft may whack the floor a good bit, or the car may be flicked into the air.

Its a safety thing - and the reason why cars at the strip require a safety loop on the shaft

Nigel
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Which models of Falcon uses a steel or alloy tailshaft?
Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 2563

Joined: 19th Feb 2007

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

Location: Lilydale
VIC, Australia

Nigel wrote:
because after that speed the imbalances in the shaft start to get inertial weight that will overcome the tailshaft strength. The tailshaft will warp, or fold, or snap, and interesting things will/may happen - the car may stop, the tailshaft may whack the floor a good bit, or the car may be flicked into the air.

Its a safety thing - and the reason why cars at the strip require a safety loop on the shaft

Nigel


I would of thought the steel tail shafts would of been better as its a strong metal

 

_________________

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Which models of Falcon uses a steel or alloy tailshaft?
Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 2448

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 7 images

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

Can be, but its also heavier, and so the alloy tailshafts have more resistance to that inertial weight.

The alloy shafts are also thicker usually
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Which models of Falcon uses a steel or alloy tailshaft?
Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 2515

Joined: 27th Mar 2006

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

Au falcon with IRS....alloy :D

 

_________________

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Which models of Falcon uses a steel or alloy tailshaft?
Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:01 pm 
Fordmods Addict
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 7958

Joined: 1st Jun 2005

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

if the stock steel tailshaft in speed limited falcons automatically disintegrated above "180km/h" there'd be alot of cars with 3.45 gears and shorter experiencing tailshaft failure.
stop thinking speed of the car, start thinking tailshaft rpm.

 

_________________

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Which models of Falcon uses a steel or alloy tailshaft?
Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 2563

Joined: 19th Feb 2007

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

Location: Lilydale
VIC, Australia

Steady ED wrote:
if the stock steel tailshaft in speed limited falcons automatically disintegrated above "180km/h" there'd be alot of cars with 3.45 gears and shorter experiencing tailshaft failure.
stop thinking speed of the car, start thinking tailshaft rpm.


I was down at Heathcote on Sunday, I have 3.9's in my car and was doing 210k's on the speedo when i backed off, at just after the line. Maybe i should be thinking about getting another tailshaft

 

_________________

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Which models of Falcon uses a steel or alloy tailshaft?
Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:31 pm 
Fordmods Addict
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 7958

Joined: 1st Jun 2005

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

because your speedo is still wrong it's telling you the "truth" in regards to tailshaft rpm.
even though you are only doing approx. 160km/h (actual), your tailshaft is spinning as fast at that speed with 3.9s, as it would have been at 210km/h with your original 3.08 diff gears.

whether you get an alloy tailshaft is up to you, i could go either way personally.
i'd rather have a well balanced, good condition, steel tailshaft with good unis then an alloy tailshaft i picked up at a wreckers and whacked straight in.

 

_________________

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Which models of Falcon uses a steel or alloy tailshaft?
Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 2563

Joined: 19th Feb 2007

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

Location: Lilydale
VIC, Australia

Steady ED wrote:
because your speedo is still wrong it's telling you the "truth" in regards to tailshaft rpm.
even though you are only doing approx. 160km/h (actual), your tailshaft is spinning as fast at that speed with 3.9s, as it would have been at 210km/h with your original 3.08 diff gears.

whether you get an alloy tailshaft is up to you, i could go either way personally.
i'd rather have a well balanced, good condition, steel tailshaft with good unis then an alloy tailshaft i picked up at a wreckers and whacked straight in.


ahk cool, maybe i should take it to a tailshaft joint, make sure it is balanced and do the uni's while im at it.

 

_________________

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Which models of Falcon uses a steel or alloy tailshaft?
Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:36 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline

Age: 32

Posts: 251

Joined: 1st Jul 2006

Ride: EBII Fairmont 4.0 206rwkw

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

GeZza200 wrote:
I was down at Heathcote on Sunday, I have 3.9's in my car and was doing 210k's on the speedo when i backed off, at just after the line. Maybe i should be thinking about getting another tailshaft


What time did you run at Heathcote?

 

_________________

EBII Fairmont = 206rwkw
EL Fairmont = Daily

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 17 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:25 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names