Fordmods Logo

Whiteline KSB510 Brace-upper control arm - INSTALLED WITH PI 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Whiteline KSB510 Brace-upper control arm - INSTALLED WITH PI
Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Anyone got or know anything about Whiteline KSB510 Brace-upper control arm for EF/L I6?

I foun d this small picture:

Last edited by twr7cx on Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Found this:

Quote:
Though not as noticeable or effective, shock tower braces on the cars mentioned above will make a difference. However the actual equivalent load point is usually an upper control arm and its locating points on the inner guard. Bracing these points is the preferred option and is what we have done with EF Falcons and our KSB510 kit. It braces the upper inner control arm mounts to the x-member via the engine mount points. We know it works well because we bent some 10mm bolts on the first prototype we fitted after taking 3 corners!

at http://www.whiteline.com.au/default.asp ... else01.htm

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

I finally finished installing these peices of poo!

Whiteline have really let themselves down in my opinion.
Firstly, a couple of points, there will only fit I6's. They'll found on a V8.
There is no reason why they should not fit EA to EL provided the engine mount still has that main bolt through the bottom holding it to the K-frame. I think XH's are the same aswell so should fit them too.
If you have a shim adjusted camber kit - DO NOT BOTHER WITH THESE. Who ever does your wheel alignment would probably kill you as these would have to be undone at the top inorder to get to the bolts holding the upper control arm mounts in place. The brackets also restrict what you can use to loosen and tighten the nuts. The solution is therefore to change to a ratchet adjusted camber kit, such as the Nolathane Evolution (I'm bloody lucky in that I had chosen to install one at the same time - not realising this issue existed!).

Ok, why am I disapointed with this kit?
It seems a good idea by Whiteline this kit, but it fails in practicality, design and there s**t workman ship.
Firstly all 4 of the brackets had the wrong spacing between the bolt holes - so I had to file them out. Whiteline either failed in quality control in manufacturer or stuffed there measurements up or soemthing.
Secondly, some of the places where these brakcets sit, is curved, so when you torque it, the brackets bend. 1 of the spots has a seam so the bracket is bent over this. This causes the wings of the bracket to close, resulting in a pain in the a*** to bend them open again. Poor design by Whiteline who failed to take into account the shape of the area the brackets sit.
Next on the passenger side, the one closest to the firewall, the gaurd indents and curves, the bracket fouls, resulting in the need to remove 5 to 10 mm from it - poor testing and design again by Whiteline.
Passenger side mounting the top brackets is frustracting, very little room to work - takes ages.
Next, the steering rack is in the way for doing the base bolt through the engine mount on the drivers side, it is do able, but very time consuming, frustrating and all right pain in the a*** - specially when you already annoiyed about the above.

Difference it makes?
I've got no idea, nor will I ever know as the car currently isn't drivable, and I've also replaced all the bushes in the vehicle with Nolathane, brand new shocks and lowered springs and replaced ball jounts and tie rods, so I don't know what difference these will make as I havn't driven the car after the other stuff to know teh difference.

Now for pictures:

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:21 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: el

VIC, Australia

how much did they cost

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:29 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Sounds like you had a whole lot of fun :shock:. Well at least it is in?

When you filed the bolt holes down...wouldn't that weaken the mounting plates?

Looks nice though :D

Good on you for finally getting it in lol.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

michael1045 wrote:
how much did they cost

Price is on the Whiteline website, $200 odd I think. Bit excessive, but what isn't for cars?
As for what I payed, that's a different stroy...

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:27 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

Very odd for something from Whiteline to be poorly designed (fitment wise, installation may be difficult because of other things in the way).

Sure your car hasn't been bent already? (not insinuating an acco, but some hard driving may have already bent the towers out of ideal shape)

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

data_mine wrote:
Very odd for something from Whiteline to be poorly designed (fitment wise, installation may be difficult because of other things in the way).

Sure your car hasn't been bent already? (not insinuating an acco, but some hard driving may have already bent the towers out of ideal shape)

I got Whiteline F&R swaybars, and the brackets were crap, made my own.

Attachments:
Front & rear sway bar outer links 001.jpg
Front & rear sway bar outer links 001.jpg [ 467.66 KiB | Viewed 161 times ]
My Brakes & New shockies Jul 07 002.jpg
My Brakes & New shockies Jul 07 002.jpg [ 449.96 KiB | Viewed 161 times ]

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

data_mine wrote:

Yeah, I'm sure it's not my car being stuffed.

It's actually the 2nd Whiteline product I've been disapointed with out of the 3 I've bought. The last was a rear swaybar kit for my wagon, it requires me to move the metal fuel lines in order to install the brackets - not going to happen, I'll eventually make my own up.

Yes, the installation was difficult due to the car - that's not there fault, but there still is a lot that they should have thought a bit more about.
The wheel alignment being a large one as most people run a shim adjusted camber kit.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]