Fordmods Logo

Whiteline's shocks are KYBs?! 

Page 2 of 3 [ 32 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

South wrote:
If you want a plush sporty ride, keep the factory fitment on your FBT. As soon as you lower your car, the spring stiffness increases and the ride becomes firmer.

If you want quality, purchase Bilstein!

The FBT actualy has VERY stiff springs for a fairlane, they are firmer than xr springs even.
It constantly feels firm/solid as you feel every bump n hole in the road with the stock 4wd height. :roll:
I will still keep the stock susp. for future obviously, but for now i dont like how solid it feels for its ride height.

If I want quality purchase bilstein aye, will try.

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:39 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF Fairmont

WA, Australia

What tyre pressure are you running? If its too high you will feel every bump in the road no matter what suspension setup you have. Low profile tyres also increase the road surface feedback. Around town driving lower your pressures a bit and the ride will be cushioned...

KYB quality is cheap hey? So when asking several suspension shops what setup I should use, they recommend KYB and lovell. When asked if it were their car, only one said use Koni, and only for its rebuildability, otherwise would have used KYB.

Koni still have quality products, but they havent done much over the years to improve on the design, other manufacturers have now exceeded Konis build quality and application. Maybe 5yrs ago the best was Koni, but its not anymore, people are buying it for the name now...

Fulli Sik Re

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:53 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

Yes it's true, the shocks that Whiteline sell for the Falcon (EA-EL at least) are actually KYBs. I am also led to believe that for other cars they choose the most appropriate shock from all manufacturers. They have a forum somewhere if you're really interested.

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:39 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

NSW, Australia

I have KYBs and they are pretty good for the money. Like ok Bilsteins are up there but I lowered my car on a budget and for the money i put out for them they did the job very well.

However, if you arent on a budget then for sure go for what works best, and you dont have to stuff around with set ups as well.

But for an overall improvement on a budget, KYBs are the go and Whiteline suspension is heaps better than pedders as well so thats all i need to go with them.

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Holden VF Calais / NL FBT

VIC, Australia

i have kybs and i cant say im impressed but that could be sue to teh sprinsg also
its a very rough ride as youve experienced daniel but f**k it handles

Nicko

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Neo_nick wrote:
i have kybs and i cant say im impressed but that could be sue to teh sprinsg also
its a very rough ride as youve experienced daniel but f**k it handles

YES - it is rough!
YES - it does handle!

lol!!

Im thinking of going bilstiens; will see.

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Manual

VIC, Australia

If you have a closer look at the whiteline website it says that they order nearly all their parts from other suppliers. MOST of the time they order the shocks with valving that whiteline have specified. This is designed to work with the spring that whiteline have specified/designed. So that while the shock says KYB on the side the valving is not the same as other KYB's for falcons.
Also I'm not sure that KYB is as good as Koni becasue the Koni shocks I got were an upgrade 'Stage 2' option in the whiteline package I bought. Why offer an upgrade if performance wouldn't increase? Also the price difference was $200 all up between KYB's and Koni's so no big price diff really.

Manual EL Gli.
Mods: Crow Stg3, Chiptorque Dynotune. Lukey Exhaust. DBA slotted rotors, EBC Pads. Whiteline Low Susp. EL GT Swaybars, ROH Envy 17 x235 wheels. Vehicle Datalogger Display V2.0,

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR8, XD Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

i use and i would recommend koni.
i race a car off road. it is hard on the shockers . we use twin shocks up front and singles on the rear (all koni) we have tried other shockers but find they fade out quick. the konis size helps them disperse the heat better.after a race the shockers can be to hot to touch. they can also be adjusted aswell as being able to have the valving changed to suit different suspension packages.we have killed most shockers including the konis (we have snapped them in half) but for value for money in these extreme conditions i wouldnt use anything else.
unless bilstien want to throw some sponsorship my way :wink:

the whiteline package would be designed for the falcon so the shockers would be built to suit. this is ok for a 'all round' package.

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:58 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF Fairmont

WA, Australia

Your better off get a shock with a remote cannister, or having Koni engineer one into the shocks they provide you with. Im assuming they sponser your vehicle.

Im sure your well aware of the benefits the remote cannister will give you, and you certainly will have reduced fade and longevity of your shocks. Initial cost is expensive, but would end up being cheaper in the long run from reduced rebuild or replacements.

Fulli Sik Re

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR8, XD Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

i have tried remote canisters and yes they do work againt fading but the shockers we used were week in the mounting ect.
we arnt sponsored by Koni. if i was i would save a s**t load of money. i just sent the 4 fronts back today for rebuilding and re-valving. another grand down the drain.
i should find out if koni can do a remote canister :P

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

xr8 dismantler wrote:
i have tried remote canisters and yes they do work againt fading but the shockers we used were week in the mounting ect.
we arnt sponsored by Koni. if i was i would save a s**t load of money. i just sent the 4 fronts back today for rebuilding and re-valving. another grand down the drain.
i should find out if koni can do a remote canister :P

You should have sent an application of sponsorship along with those shockers - sounds bloody costly this racing business ur into darren, fun tho! :lol:

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EL XR6

WA, Australia

They cost $250 each to rebuild?

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

OK, its been confirmed, ive ordered the bilsteins, hope ur happy darren - making me spend more money lol, im sure ILL be happy with the result tho.
Prices are as follows for me:
Bilstein Front Shocks: $310.00 per shock.
Bilstein Rear Shocks: $210.00 per shock.

Cheers -

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:31 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Is that price including fitting?

I'm able to sell Bilsteins for:
Front: $250ea
Rear: $200ea

Koni Sports:
Front: $230ea
Rear: $190ea

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

no, quoted 1400 for shocks, whiteline springs and fitting, all done locally from hightek brakes, melb.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next