Fordmods Logo

who has 3:9 diff gears in 4spd auto? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: who has 3:9 diff gears in 4spd auto?
Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

VIC, Australia

who has 3:9 diff gears in 4spd auto? if you do what disadvantages and advantages are there? i m thinking of putting them in but i want to find out more about them in 4speed autos, thanks

Post subject: Re: who has 3:9 diff gears in 4spd auto?
Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:56 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

NSW, Australia

You've already got 3.45's in it so the fairly costly job of changing to 3.9's is pointless and rather stupid. All you're going to do is ruin your fuel economy for a minimal performance gain (and more stress on driveline)

Spend the $$$ on a cam, or better yet start saving for a used BA turbo if you wanna go fast....

He was like a god walking amongst mere mortals. He had a voice that could
make a wolverine purr, and suits so fine
they made Sinatra look like a hobo.
In other words, Ron Burgundy was the balls.

Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

not dear $350 for 3.9 fitted, but fair point about drive line and fuel, thanks mate

Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:21 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

Me Me Me!
I run 3.9's in an EF Auto.
I have no real issues, it sits at 2200rpm at 100k's, I changed the speedo drive to the black ?23? tooth gear and my speedo reads 10k high. Makes it a bit hard to get a real economy reading but I usually get 480k's (by the odo) per tank of Premium, I drive like granny about 60% of the time and the rest is what I would call "very spirited" driving.
The main prob I have is the Auto shift points are a bit out of whack (due to speedo being out) and it tends to kick back when you are only at mid throttle (ie. half gas in 3rd and it will kick back to second at 5000rpm) but from what I have been told a electronic speedo corrector should fix that.

Apart from that - Go for it. It is one way of showing the dunnydore boys that Falcons aren't slow off the line.

Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

GT-01 wrote:
not dear $350 for 3.9 fitted, but fair point about drive line and fuel, thanks mate

Where are you getting it for those sorts of dollars?

you could sell your 3.45 diff for about that and put the 3.9's in a cheapie..

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

frankieh wrote:
GT-01 wrote:

Where are you getting it for those sorts of dollars?

you could sell your 3.45 diff for about that and put the 3.9's in a cheapie..

down in geelong mate, :D
izedso wrote:
Me Me Me!
I run 3.9's in an EF Auto.
I have no real issues, it sits at 2200rpm at 100k's, I changed the speedo drive to the black ?23? tooth gear and my speedo reads 10k high. Makes it a bit hard to get a real economy reading but I usually get 480k's (by the odo) per tank of Premium, I drive like granny about 60% of the time and the rest is what I would call "very spirited" driving.
The main prob I have is the Auto shift points are a bit out of whack (due to speedo being out) and it tends to kick back when you are only at mid throttle (ie. half gas in 3rd and it will kick back to second at 5000rpm) but from what I have been told a electronic speedo corrector should fix that.

Apart from that - Go for it. It is one way of showing the dunnydore boys that Falcons aren't slow off the line.

thanks mate, helped me out alot,

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

3.9s are great on a 4 speed, i reckon it should have been the xr ratio, and the 3.45's the standard ratio.

whoever said theres almost no difference from a set of 3.45's hasnt tried them. theres more of a ratio gap between 3.45-3.89 than there is between 3.08-3.45.

there is more high speed stress on the stock tailshaft at high speeds, ie 150kmh +, as it is spinning faster. other than, in lower speed situations (ie 99.99% of the time) that there is less stress on the system due to there being less torque required to turn the tailshaft.

I noticed almost no fuel difference going to 3.89's. I used a little more on the highways and a lot less around town. the difference being it also gets driven spiritedly every now and again. the only supporting mods are a set of 4480 extractors, and 2.5 mandrel pipe.

never got it down the strip, as the speedo is uncorrected, and would hit the 180 limit before the line (135kmh actual). but it did outdo a vt clubsport in a serious race to 100kmh by a fraction, and they did it in 6.6 when new, so a 6.6-6.8 sec 0-100 time is feasible.

it helps that 2nd tops out just over 100, so theres only one change, and maximum efficiency in getting to 100.

when gunning it off the line it doesnt dip below 4k rpm on the changes, so you might want/need a better cam that makes a bit more top end poke to suit where you will need it when overtaking/going for broke.

its just the best ratio for 4 speeds. you can overtake in top gear easily, and if space is tight 3rd is just a dream.

do it. do it. do it. for that price you would be nuts not to.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

thanks man, i think i will doing this mods now, thanks

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:26 pm 
VIC Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: ed

VIC, Australia

what would it be like behind a t5?

94 White ED Wagon
eaton M112 supercharger, lowered a tad, extractors, 2.5" exhaust, T5 , custom SureCam supercharger cam, 3.45 lokka, 2 piece tailshaft, poyair bags in the back, TSS front Skirt, Sprint skirts, XR wagon spoiler.
soon to get: AU diff, upc 330mm brakes, Vapor LPG injection.

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon XR8

WA, Australia

Okay im convinced, 3.9's or GTFO haha. So what exactly is involved with swapping the crown wheel and pinion over in say for example, my 3.08 open centre diff and what are the gears taken from? Is any sort of machining required? I have no interest in getting an LSD centre yet, but for now would love to get some better accelleration.

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ausedwagon wrote:
what would it be like behind a t5?

most likely rubbish im thinking.

t5 has a nice short first gear, and they have a shorter top gear meaning they rev higher on the highway. first gear will most likely be so short you wouldnt use it daily, you would probably use second for takeing off. first would be reserved for burnouts only lol.

Ill be able to tell you once i get the t5 conversion finished. Im 99.9% sure i will be changing my 3.89:1 ratio, maybe even back to the 3.08 until i can find a good set of 3.45's or 3.23's. got to wait and see what speed/gear ratio i get with the 3.89's first.

fordman351 wrote:
Okay im convinced, 3.9's or GTFO haha. So what exactly is involved with swapping the crown wheel and pinion over in say for example, my 3.08 open centre diff and what are the gears taken from? Is any sort of machining required? I have no interest in getting an LSD centre yet, but for now would love to get some better accelleration.

I didnt swap mine but I watched my mate do it. the gears that fit are from r31 skylines. automatics had 3.89's and manuals had 3.7's. the pintara's had the 4.11's. from memory of over a year ago you have to undo the tailshaft from the diffhousing. take off the back brakes, and remove the axel stubbs. this isolates your diff center from all connections. then the watts linkage, and handbrake cable line come off in order to get the diff housing cover off. undo the bottom bolts and crack open a drainage point before taking it all the way off. there are 4 bolts holding some U shaped brackets over the bearings on the sides of the diff center. they come off, and you should be able to remove the center. cant remember exactly how the pinion came out, i was off getting drinks from the fridge when that happened. the pinion from the pintaras will be slightly different and needs to be shimmed up with the propper bearing (not sure on exact details).the crown wheel is an exact fit on the center. there are some pop out seals on the pinion that go off/on in a specific order iirc. the tricky bit is shimming up the center properly as the 3.89 pinion head is a lot smaller than the 3.08 meaning the contect surface has mover slightly to the left when looking from the bum of the car. you need to shim the left side of the center to compensate. having spare shims of varying thicknesses helps when doing this. correct contact and lash are important so I hear :D instalation is basically reversing the dismantaling process.

its the sort of thing you might want someone experienced to do/help you do.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon XR8

WA, Australia

s**t! So it's not exactly a straight forward job. I can certainly get hold of R31 diff gears no worries, but i think i might leave the installation of them to someone qualified haha.

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 1999 AU futura

NSW, Australia

You will definently need a diff spreader.You will not get the carrier/crown assembly out.

COMING SOON,XD WITH A TURBO...CLEVO STYLE

Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i can tell you straight that you dont "need" a spreader. certainly not on an au (78 series housing).

my mate had no troubles at all getting the center out.

dont know what the e series is like, but we did just fine without a diff spreader.

enough isn't enough

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]