Fordmods Logo

WHY NOT TO RUN HUB ADAPTORS.... this is proof! (pics) 

Page 3 of 9 [ 133 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

I don't see how the hub adapters are being blamed. Maybe the wheel studs or nuts used were dodgy, but that's not really saying that hub adapters over all are dodgy now is it?

So is there any damage to the wheel studs or just the nuts are stuffed?

Secondly, how many people here are running hub adapters and how few incidents are there?
This is the second incident I've seen and the last time was due to the guy using steel wheel nuts for his mag wheels.

when I got my hub adapters the center lip was to big to fit into the wheel, my engineer machined them to perfectly fit into the center of the mags.

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL XR8, '08 Mondeo XR5t

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

They look like the hub adaptors I got from Tempe Tyres. Don't worry about defamation mate, there is nothing they can do by telling us where you got them from.

When I ordered my rims and adaptors they told me when I put them on to get them nice and tight, then after driving for a day, pull the rims off, and give the adaptors another nip up. Then Put the rims back on and after a bit of driving, nip them up again... They supplied the nuts and locknuts to suit

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

blackjack_original wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
did any one notice there is no centre spigot on the adapters. the wheel studs are not ment to carry the car. the centre spigot is meant to carry the car, the wheel studs are only meant to hold the wheel tight against the hub.

I'm sorry mate, but I think you're wrong.
The pressure of the wheel against the hub, is what holds the wheel.

you can think all you like. This is the second adapter failure i've seen on here, where the adapter had no centre spigot.

the spigot carries the weight, the studs hold the wheel on the spigot

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:41 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 50 images

Ride: MYSTERY EL's & Maverick LWB

Power: 198 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Tocchi , your very luckie it happened when & were it did ...
i also run adaptors no probs . the only other thing i can think of is that some has loosend your wheel nuts on you - seen studs do that before when they have been loosend , i have had it happened and i can tell you when i found out who had done it (carpark security camera) He didnt walk or talk to well for a few months after that .

Chance Favors The Prepared Mind !
For Sale : EL Fairmont 4L 5spd offers, AU Fairlane Ghia 4L vct Stock no mods $3.5k ono

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: FG XR8, F6 F6 ute, XR5T, Capri

WA, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
How are the rear hub adapters? Are they tight & all good?

yeh the rears are good.. i got those 2 (the rears) from Beaurepairs... i had not problem with those adaptors... the good ones were 25mm, the faulty one was a 36mm one (so was the left front)... due to 8.5" wide rims

ilovmel wrote:
stupid qeustion but are the wheels for sale now ?

haha nice try :lol: i can put the rims on the parents Phoon

Munch wrote:
dude, 1/4 panel is rear, fender is front lol!

can i claim that mistake under trauma from the crash? f**k lol!

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA

VIC, Australia

that's coolies mate, good to see your ok....

I tell you I'm lucky I didn't have adapters on my old ED XR. I blew out a tyre at 100km/h on a freeway, thank god there was a median grass where I spun off... cant imagine what woulda happened to the axle if I had 'em.

mmmmmmmmmunchy!

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:21 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 113 rwkw

NSW, Australia

MRE-50L wrote:
Tocchi , your very luckie it happened when & were it did ...
i also run adaptors no probs . the only other thing i can think of is that some has loosend your wheel nuts on you - seen studs do that before when they have been loosend , i have had it happened and i can tell you when i found out who had done it (carpark security camera) He didnt walk or talk to well for a few months after that .

same here had my wheel nuts undun on my old EJ ones was doing 60ks when the front wheel took off away from the car.

the way the wheel has come of that car you should have felt a small wobble/shutter/clicking in the steering.

BANNED

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
did any one notice there is no centre spigot on the adapters. the wheel studs are not ment to carry the car. the centre spigot is meant to carry the car, the wheel studs are only meant to hold the wheel tight against the hub.
i noticed a small step,may be 2 mm sq. but to small for a spigot in aluminium to centre wheel,appears the wheel nuts didnt fit threads and the wheel floated on the adaptor,working the nuts loose and bending the studs.threads seem to be ok.as efgt said its unlikily to do all 5 at once,only if loose.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:21 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: ED GHIA V8

NSW, Australia

mate, count your lucky stars the damage was minimal and you did not roll the car or hit another car cause insurance would have cancelled your policy once they seen the adapters.

Black ED Ghia
V8 with lpg
Full leather
waitng on sunroof..

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:37 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
you can think all you like. This is the second adapter failure i've seen on here, where the adapter had no centre spigot.

the spigot carries the weight, the studs hold the wheel on the spigot

Two out of how many?
And you can say, with absolute certainty, that the cause was the lack of a centre spigot on the adaptor?

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

lethal EA wrote:
mate, count your lucky stars the damage was minimal and you did not roll the car or hit another car cause insurance would have cancelled your policy once they seen the adapters.

Says who? A lot of companies are fine with them - especially if they are legal in your state!

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Tocchi wrote:
blackjack_original wrote:
That's interesting. What brand/type of adaptors are those? What metal did they use? How much did you pay for them, where did you get them?

The metal would have to be really weak for the strippage to occur just like that. Are you sure someone didn't try to steal your wheels but only managed to loosen the nuts.

im not sure what brand... but it seems the body is aluminium... i got them for $75 each... im not gonna say where i got them due to defamation laws.

By stating where you got a product your not defaming a company. Besides, do you really think anyone would go to the expense of a court case over a couple of hub adapters?

State were you got them from, if they are faulty, which I don't think they are to blame personally, it'll save someone else trouble in the future...

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: FG XR8, F6 F6 ute, XR5T, Capri

WA, Australia

i got the front 2 off a carclub forum... (they are the ones in question on the front).. and 36mm
i dont know the brand.

the rear ones i got from Beaurepairs... they are 25mm and on the rear... these ones WEREN'T faulty

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

There is a lip in the centre of the adaptor to centre the rim to keep balance. Depending on the rims fitted a certain size ring may be needed to suit the inner of the rim to centre correctly. This alone does not hold the rim in place. The studs are the main factor in this and thats why all OE studs are grade 8 which can be seen in pic where as the aftermarket studs appear to be mild steel. The adaptor its self also appears to be mild steel and not aluminium, if it was the lip in the centre would have alot more damage and would be damaged from the studs pulling. This is the reason that all suppliers to Ford must submit a PPAP which includes a PFMEA (Potential Failure Mode and Effects Analasis) This is to ensure that the part will not fail under normal working conditions. In this case i dont believe it was ever done as the manuafcturer didnt have to.

Attachments:
3108070949kq4cl0.jpg
3108070949kq4cl0.jpg [ 61.97 KiB | Viewed 208 times ]

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 23 images

Ride: XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

shhit There the same ones im running, think im gonna suss mine out a bit 2day

SS Inductions CAI, K&N Filters, M-spec FMC, Turbosmart BOV, 8psi capa tune, X-force cat.

Mods going on: Nizpro springs, bosch 040 pump + Walbro gss341, 600cc injectors, PWR transcooler, 20% Underdrives, 15psi Actuator, Kingspring SSL's, 15psi tune.....More coming

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 9  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next