Fordmods Logo

WHY NOT TO RUN HUB ADAPTORS.... this is proof! (pics) 

Page 5 of 9 [ 133 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

twr7cx wrote:

As for finding rules permiting them by the state on there website. Firstly I can't be f**k looking for them (because even if they are illegal I'm still going to run it - just like half of my exhaustthat's missing).
And secondly, rules generally tell you what you can't have/do. So I'm guessing it's unlikely I would find something expressly stating that hub adapters are welcome.

Your state rules are straight Federal rules, something all states should have adapted, when we could all complain the same in each state :lol:
NCOP11 Section LS Suspension and steering 3 Feb 2006 wrote:
WHEEL ATTACHMENT
Replacement wheels must be designed for the particular hub/axle and have the same bolt/stud
pitch circle diameter and the same centre location method. The wheel nuts or bolts must have
the same tapers as the wheel. Wheels with slotted bolt/stud holes are not allowed.
Replacement aluminium alloy rims must be located on the hub/axle by the same diameter
centre spigot as the original wheel, using metal adaptor rings where necessary.
Wheel nuts and bolts must have a thread engagement length at least equal to the thread
diameter, except where specified otherwise by the vehicle manufacturer.
Fitting of wheel spacers (or adaptors for dual wheel conversions) between the wheel mounting
face and the road wheel is not allowed unless fitted as original equipment by the vehicle
manufacturer.
Modifications to disc brake callipers, hubs and suspension and steering components to enable
the fitting of replacement wheels are not allowed.

http://www.dotars.gov.au/roads/safety/b ... eb2006.pdf

I would ask your insurance company to state in writing that those adaptors are OK with them, never take word of mouth from anyone (Including "Service TAS", our RTA Technical section can be morons too with answers) and as for the engineer, is he approved by Service TAS?

Anyway they are illegal in your state too, not that you care, I don't care either, you aren't in my state, I won't be ever going there either, but I would get everything in writing to protect yourself against anything that may go wrong and give your insurance company a chance to reject a claim etc.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

tearlejc wrote:
These adapters were definitely correct for your wheel? The way the studs are bent looks like they were very nearly the right size - but not quite... so when they were tightened it was putting a massive sideways strain on each stud - this sideways strain would have varied with corner load, probably sufficient to let the studs work loose - probably over a bit of time...so when you were on the freeway a few minutes before I'd bet some if not all of the studs were flexing and getting loose. Go buy the right wheels - and also buy yourself a lottery ticket because you are very very lucky. ps I thought adapters and spacers were completely illegal??

Read a couple of posts above - he's provided a reason for the wheel coming off.

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

Yeah, I know he posted `a' reason, doesn't mean its `the' reason....I'm just giving you an alternate possibility. Bottom line is that the feds don't like them and I know you don't care about the rules etc., but they are there for a reason....I'm not saying change away from adapters to wheels actually designed to fit your car because there is a rule about it, I'm saying do it cos for WHATEVER reson yer wheel fell off. I'm not trying to tell you what to do, I'm just saying if it was me, I'd rather the wheels stayed on my car.

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: F350

QLD, Australia

Hang on here, are you saying you knew that the threads were not compatible with the nuts you were running?

Ford Falcon wheel studs are 1/2 by 20, so if they supplied studs and nuts, you wound wrong nuts onto Ford studs to hold it on, and Ford nuts onto wrong studs.
Did it ever occur to you that it felt like something was up?

This is why hub adaptors are illegal, because moronic incidents like this can happen.

You're lucky to be alive mate, imagine what your a*** would feel like now had you killed some poor innocent kid on his bike. You would make a nice bed warmer for some guy called CHUCK in prison.

Think, then post, because admitting something like that just shows the authorities why we should not be allowed to modify cars.

Dont ever think they wont read what you post.

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Macca wrote:
I would ask your insurance company to state in writing that those adaptors are OK with them, never take word of mouth from anyone (Including "Service TAS", our RTA Technical section can be morons too with answers) and as for the engineer, is he approved by Service TAS?

Dunno if the engineer is certified, but it's writen on my insurance policy as one of the mods - hub adapters.

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: FG XR8, F6 F6 ute, XR5T, Capri

WA, Australia

ELGT wrote:
Hang on here, are you saying you knew that the threads were not compatible with the nuts you were running?

Ford Falcon wheel studs are 1/2 by 20, so if they supplied studs and nuts, you wound wrong nuts onto Ford studs to hold it on, and Ford nuts onto wrong studs.

This is why hub adaptors are illegal, because moronic incidents like this can happen.

You're lucky to be alive mate, imagine what your a*** would feel like now had you killed some poor innocent kid on his bike. You would make a nice bed warmer for some guy called CHUCK in prison.

Think, then post, because admitting something like that just shows the authorities why we should not be allowed to modify cars.

No.. i found that out afterwards... the correct sizes nuts were used on the ford studs... and i was given ford sized nuts to put on the adaptor studs.

what the f**k dude, whats with the semi personal attack on me... im trying to give advice to people that these adaptors can have problems.
i could stoop to your level with a response similar to your post, but i wont.

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Tocchi wrote:
ELGT wrote:

No.. i found that out afterwards... the correct sizes nuts were used on the ford studs... and i was given ford sized nuts to put on the adaptor studs.

what the f**k dude, whats with the semi personal attack on me... im trying to give advice to people that these adaptors can have problems.

I responded to what you wrote, which is not making sense. When you buy adaptors, they come with nuts. The nuts will fit the studs on the adaptors. Ford Falcons are 5 x 114.3, with a 1/2 x 20 tpi. If you had 12 x 1.75, or 12 x 1.5 like you said, they would not fit into the factory stud, and anyone with an ounce of mechanical ability would see that.
The fact you are blaming the adaptor shows that.
I am not atttacking you personally, I am making a statement of fact.
If you knew what you were doing, it would not have happened.

The consequences of what could have happened dont need explaining.
If you want to take risks like you did, and force the nuts on where they didnt belong, you have to live with the results.

Dont take it the wrong way, that little bit of extra time checking could save a life mate.
You are a long time dead.

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

ELGT wrote:
Tocchi wrote:
ELGT wrote:

I responded to what you wrote, which is not making sense. When you buy adaptors, they come with nuts. The nuts will fit the studs on the adaptors. Ford Falcons are 5 x 114.3, with a 1/2 x 20 tpi. If you had 12 x 1.75, or 12 x 1.5 like you said, they would not fit into the factory stud, and anyone with an ounce of mechanical ability would see that.
The fact you are blaming the adaptor shows that.
I am not atttacking you personally, I am making a statement of fact.
If you knew what you were doing, it would not have happened.

The consequences of what could have happened dont need explaining.
If you want to take risks like you did, and force the nuts on where they didnt belong, you have to live with the results.

Dont take it the wrong way, that little bit of extra time checking could save a life mate.
You are a long time dead.

Not to put down anyone here that works in the tire fitting industry, but many tire fitters do not have that mechanical ability either, it isn't a high paid job, so you pay peanuts you get monkeys and they would make the same mistake, but even better with a rattle gun.

Considering how many members here probably get their wheels fitted at the retailer including the adaptors just think if they sell illegal products do you think they have the ability to also fit it properly?

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Macca wrote:

Not to put down anyone here that works in the tire fitting industry, but many tire fitters do not have that mechanical ability either, it isn't a high paid job, so you pay peanuts you get monkeys and they would make the same mistake, but even better with a rattle gun.

Considering how many members here probably get their wheels fitted at the retailer including the adaptors just think if they sell illegal products do you think they have the ability to also fit it properly?

But if you have that recipt, you have no legal grounds on which you would be liable. You had them fitted by a professional.
I am not putting him down for what happened, just stating the facts.
It was not the adaptors fault at all, it was operator error.

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Spot on MACCA. I'm an ex tyre fitter with 15 years experiance and to be honest if you want the right advice and quality work then go to one of the indipendants not a chain store. An indipendant tyre store is managed by the owner not an idiot who probably knows less than the worker who started there 3 months earlier.

ef fairmont ghia 5.0L
classy cruiser

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

revhead wrote:
Spot on MACCA. I'm an ex tyre fitter with 15 years experiance and to be honest if you want the right advice and quality work then go to one of the indipendants not a chain store. An indipendant tyre store is managed by the owner not an idiot who probably knows less than the worker who started there 3 months earlier.

Yep walk into Ozzie or Tempe tyres and they won't blink an eyelid to selling you a set of rims which needs adaptors (And fit them while you wait), where as the local company will state they are illegal and won't sell you 300% mark up Taiwanese rims made originally for Jap vehicles.

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

not wanting to throw petrol on a fire thats already blazing away nicely, but I'm not sure why you'd wanna put Jap car wheels on an Aussie Ford anyway ...get some wheels made for the car - adapters are a bad idea fullstop. No one has mentioned the added strain on your wheel bearings from both the added width of the adapters and of the ginormous wheels with very low profile (compared to what the tyre placard in your car says). I know you're after a look but don't put it before your safety, mate. Nobody is trying to have a go at you, they're just saying you're lucky to be alive. The people who sold you the adapters should be charged - I wonder if they'd be summonsed at the inquiry if your car did crash on the freeway?

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 34 images

Ride: BF MK11 XR 6 TURBO ZF 6spd

Power: 225 rwkw

NSW, Australia

tearlejc wrote:
not wanting to throw petrol on a fire thats already blazing away nicely, but I'm not sure why you'd wanna put Jap car wheels on an Aussie Ford anyway ...get some wheels made for the car - adapters are a bad idea fullstop. No one has mentioned the added strain on your wheel bearings from both the added width of the adapters and of the ginormous wheels with very low profile (compared to what the tyre placard in your car says). I know you're after a look but don't put it before your safety, mate. Nobody is trying to have a go at you, they're just saying you're lucky to be alive. The people who sold you the adapters should be charged - I wonder if they'd be summonsed at the inquiry if your car did crash on the freeway?
just cos you run hub adapters doesnt mean you run jap wheels or aspire to... e-series falcons have a different offset to au-ba's and putting the au-ba'offset hub adapter onto your e-series sudenly opens up a whole new world of aftermarket mag wheel options...

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

OK, hub adaptors used correctly are very safe, and can handle enormous load, as seen in factory fitment on wide body porches, and F series fords like link here

http://www.rocketsportstrucks.com.au/Du ... rsions.htm

The one on the right is a factory front hub adaptor, that Ford use on front hubs on DRW F250/F350/F450 trucks.....so much for not carrying load.

Used correctly, they are fine in my opinion.

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Yep, I actually meant to say `Jap styled' wheels - I didn't want to get into a whole Fast and Furious comparison thing....but anyway, whatever the reason behind putting wheels on that aren't designed for your car (whether they are rice wheels or BA wheels or whatever), using adapters is still a pretty bad idea for the reasons I mentioned, besides being illegal according to fed rules.....if looks are all that counts to the owner, then go right ahead - just give the rest of us a warning while you're driving it around....

I'm not trying to put anyone down, and I'd be the last person to stop somebody doing their own thing, but doing plainly illegal things to a car which make it really dangerous even at low speeds, particularly when the whole topic started with graphic pictures of the results AND the guy only seems to be concerned with his fender and marker light damage, and then finally to be getting a moderator of the forum defending the whole thing is a bit weird. Lots of inexperienced people read this forum and if they go away from a discussion thinking that its ok to use these adapters it reflects badly on you and the forum. Lets not forget the topic of this thread - Why not to run hub adaptors - this is proof - The whole message originally was about `these are dangerous' and now the guy who came up with the heading and others who like big weird wheels for their looks, bugger what they do for (or to) the car, are defending adaptors!!

Sort by  
 Page 5 of 9  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next