Fordmods Logo

WHY NOT TO RUN HUB ADAPTORS.... this is proof! (pics) 

Page 6 of 9 [ 133 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:27 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Liberty MY04 4GEN Luxury

VIC, Australia

Dam I'm glad I got rid of my hub adapters after seeing that. The studs on them are weak.

www.lukehimself.net

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

tearlejc wrote:
not wanting to throw petrol on a fire thats already blazing away nicely, but I'm not sure why you'd wanna put Jap car wheels on an Aussie Ford anyway ...get some wheels made for the car - adapters are a bad idea fullstop. No one has mentioned the added strain on your wheel bearings from both the added width of the adapters and of the ginormous wheels with very low profile (compared to what the tyre placard in your car says). I know you're after a look but don't put it before your safety, mate. Nobody is trying to have a go at you, they're just saying you're lucky to be alive. The people who sold you the adapters should be charged - I wonder if they'd be summonsed at the inquiry if your car did crash on the freeway?

Do you know what you on about mate?

Firstly, hub adapters don't mean Jap wheels. There's plenty of Australian made wheels that are not in Pre-AU offset (actually there's 1/3rd of nothing that is in Pre-AU offset these days).
Secondly, running adapters does not necesarily mean larger wheels. You could run adapters and just put 16" or 17" wheels. Not much larger than factory at all.
Ever looked at the back of a wheel made for Pre-AU they have a long section on them already to go right back to were the hub is, so I highly doubt that any extra strain is therefore put on as the wheels are no further out.

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

lukey wrote:
Dam I'm glad I got rid of my hub adapters after seeing that. The studs on them are weak.

again in this case it was due to incorrect nuts. Twice I've seen adapters fail and twice due to wrong nuts. Not due to teh adapters or the studs.

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:31 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

tearlejc wrote:
Yep, I actually meant to say `Jap styled' wheels - I didn't want to get into a whole Fast and Furious comparison thing....but anyway, whatever the reason behind putting wheels on that aren't designed for your car (whether they are rice wheels or BA wheels or whatever), using adapters is still a pretty bad idea for the reasons I mentioned, besides being illegal according to fed rules.....if looks are all that counts to the owner, then go right ahead - just give the rest of us a warning while you're driving it around....

I'm not trying to put anyone down, and I'd be the last person to stop somebody doing their own thing, but doing plainly illegal things to a car which make it really dangerous even at low speeds, particularly when the whole topic started with graphic pictures of the results AND the guy only seems to be concerned with his fender and marker light damage, and then finally to be getting a moderator of the forum defending the whole thing is a bit weird. Lots of inexperienced people read this forum and if they go away from a discussion thinking that its ok to use these adapters it reflects badly on you and the forum. Lets not forget the topic of this thread - Why not to run hub adaptors - this is proof - The whole message originally was about `these are dangerous' and now the guy who came up with the heading and others who like big weird wheels for their looks, bugger what they do for (or to) the car, are defending adaptors!!

Yes, but it came about that it wasn't the hub adaptors themselves that caused the failure!

Just because there is an ambiguously worded ADR against them, doesn't make them "unsafe".

There have been two incidences on this forum of "hub adaptor failure" that I can recall, this being one of them, and neither were related to the hub adaptor itself.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Steady ED wrote:
Yes, but it came about that it wasn't the hub adaptors themselves that caused the failure!

Just because there is an ambiguously worded ADR against them, doesn't make them "unsafe".

There have been two incidences on this forum of "hub adaptor failure" that I can recall, this being one of them, and neither were related to the hub adaptor itself.

Exactly! There are many examples of rules and laws like this that don't necesarily relate to what they are ment to.
E.g. cat converters for straigh LPG cars is a funny one.

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:35 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I'd also like to add that Cebco use a hub adaptor to correct offset due to use of mustang rotors in their twin piston front caliper upgrade for E-Series.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:45 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Power: 120 rwkw

New Zealand

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what your personal opinon is, you are one that is responsible for making sure your vehicle is road worthy. Ignorance is no excuse. If your car is not in road worthy condition it should not be on the road.

The government made the law to protect you and the general public.

If your dumb enough to have illegal hub adapters fitted to your car - then you are accountable for the outcome.

If a tyre shop is dumb enough to fit illegal hub adapters to a road going vehicle - then they are also accountable for their actions.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

bottlejack15 wrote:

And this is based on what?
So many people say how dangerous they are and how the law is there to protect and that - but no ones shown any reasoning or proof...
Lot of hollow claims.

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: ELXR8 SERIES 2

SA, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
bottlejack15 wrote:

And this is based on what?
So many people say how dangerous they are and how the law is there to protect and that - but no ones shown any reasoning or proof...
Lot of hollow claims.

and here is the best bit, they are cams aproved. they are only unsafe if the person putting them on doesnt know what they are doing. ages ago a bloke said the same s**t, they unsafe cos he had one fall off but it turns out he used the wrong nuts. same as everything, its as safe as the bloke that is useing it.

EL XR8 SERIES 2, 5SPD, HOT CHILLI RED, 200 ODD RWKW OF V8 FUN AND GAMES

EF XR6, 5SPD, HERITAGE GREEN, AU XR6 VCT ENGINE

VL COMMODORE, 5SPD, WHITE

BA XT, AUTO, OFFSHORE BLUE

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:10 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: XW

WA, Australia

I think one of the issues here is that some of the brands of hub adapters sold for falcons actually have Holden thread spacing.

So when people fit them and try fit their ford wheel nuts to them, it doesnt work.

Places like Tempe, tech9 etc sell these brands.

I run these brands and have never had a problem. I just have to remember to use right nuts when refitting, or specify holden lock nuts when changing the lock nut.

Im gunna finger bang bang your mumma too

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:58 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Power: 120 rwkw

New Zealand

I never said they were unsafe or dangerous.

One of the reason aftermarket hub adapters are illegal is for the following:

They are not manufactured, certified or possibly even designed to meet OEM, ADR or NZS standards and there is no way the manufactuer of an aftermarket hub adapter can properly regulate that the hub, wheel stud / nut or rim/wheel attached to the hub adaptor is correctly fitted or meets OEM, ADR or NZS standards.

A OEM or vehicle manufacturer can garrantee that a certain, hub, hub adaptor, wheel stud / nut and rim/wheel combination meets ADR or NZS standards as they are designed specifically and tested to meet those standards. But that is null and void if any of the components are replaced with an item that does not meet the applicable ADR or NZS or OEM standards.

As for CAMS and Low Volume Engeering Certification each vehicle is acessed and has to meet the regulations set by the governing body before being approved or granted certification. If does not fit correctly or is not from an approved supplier or meet the standards (depending on the standards relating to that component) the vehicle will be rejected.

I don't want to argue about why the government deems hub adapters unsafe or what information their decision is/was based on.

My point is you are responsible for your vehicle and liable for your actions.

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Jase wrote:
I think one of the issues here is that some of the brands of hub adapters sold for falcons actually have Holden thread spacing.

So when people fit them and try fit their ford wheel nuts to them, it doesnt work.

Places like Tempe, tech9 etc sell these brands.

Again it comes down to the f**k idiot putting them on.
You are correct that tempe tyres use Holden studs in theres. They also supply the matching correct nuts for them - this is done for a reason.
You've really got to wonder about the capabilities of someone if they then go and start putting a different incorrect nut on and don't manage to notice that it's not threading on right!

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

bottlejack15 wrote:
I never said they were unsafe or dangerous.

You are correct you didn't. You stated that the reason they were illegal was to protect us. Which directly implies that they must in some way be dangerous - otherwise if they are not dangerous why would we need protecting...?

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

bottlejack15 wrote:
One of the reason aftermarket hub adapters are illegal is for the following:

They are not manufactured, certified or possibly even designed to meet OEM, ADR or NZS standards and there is no way the manufactuer of an aftermarket hub adapter can properly regulate that the hub, wheel stud / nut or rim/wheel attached to the hub adaptor is correctly fitted or meets OEM, ADR or NZS standards.

I don't understand what your saying here to be honest.

You are correct in that they are not certified with those standards - as state legislation makes them illegal therefore, I don't see how they would ever be able to then achieve those standards - regardless of who engineers/designs them.

Why should the manufacturer of an aftermarket hub adapter regulate that the hub, wheel stud / nut or rim/wheel attached to the hub adapter is correctly fitted?
When you buy a set of Monroe shockabsorbers (which are aftermarket), does the guy from Monroe the manufacturer come around and check that they are properly fitted?

For your third bit again there's no way they can meet the standards and no way the manufacturer can regulate that they do - see first point.

Clearly when designing these they can take into account what tehy are going onto (hub of a Falcoooon), and what is going onto them (AU onwards wheeeels).

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

Guys, go around and around with semantics as much as you like - maybe it was the studs, maybe not the adapter, the fact remains the dude's wheel fell off. This, I think, is why they have a rule about them. If they introduce a further risk of failure why use them?

Anyway I don't intend saying anything more on the topic. I've made my views clear, and if others want to use them, go ahead. Its not my car.

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Sort by  
 Page 6 of 9  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next