Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: BOXCAR (Not some sorry ass EF/EL

QLD, Australia

GTENVY wrote:
CHEF wrote:
what size are the GT rims? 8in? Is it law that rim width mush be only 1in wider than the widest avail on the car?

They are 17" x 8.5". they are meant to be fitted with 245 series but they are WAY too expensive. I went for 255 in the end and they fit the GT rims perfectly. Mind you I do have the EB GT kit, Flares on the wheel arch's make for a bit more room.
I dont see how thats possible. The GT flares are only an add on. To get more room in the wheel well youd need to modify the guards which Im certain wasnt done from factory.

The artist formerly known as seton005 (and allegedly The_Murph).

When I was growing up, we were so poor we could'nt even afford to pay attention.

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Blueprint EB II Fairmont 5L

WA, Australia

seton005 wrote:
GTENVY wrote:
CHEF wrote:
what size are the GT rims? 8in? Is it law that rim width mush be only 1in wider than the widest avail on the car?

They are 17" x 8.5". they are meant to be fitted with 245 series but they are WAY too expensive. I went for 255 in the end and they fit the GT rims perfectly. Mind you I do have the EB GT kit, Flares on the wheel arch's make for a bit more room.
I dont see how thats possible. The GT flares are only an add on. To get more room in the wheel well youd need to modify the guards which Im certain wasnt done from factory.

Thats wat i was thinking.... :?

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

partie wrote:
235 on the front of an EA-ED will rub during cornering on king super lows.

i know, coz mine does

Mine dont with king superlow, my tyres do rub on the swaybar though on full lock (I have a whiteline adjustable swaybar)

1993 ED XR6 5speed Polynesian Green. Project car.

1998 EL XR8 Auto Hot Chilli Red. New daily and project

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon EGas

WA, Australia

Interceptor wrote:
Smackdown wrote:
The other problem to take into consideration is that 18inch rims are illegal on an E series falcoon.
Just thought I'd warn you.

I'd be going for some 255s on the rears and some 235s up front.

afaik most registration authorities in australia allow for a 2" increase in wheel diameter, which makes 18"s legal for just about every E-series......

15 + 2 = 17

therefore 18s illegal

BA Falcon Futura on EGas. Stock as...

EF 5 speed manual; PH 4480 Pacemaker Headers; 2 1/2" Lukey Mandrel Bent System; Hi Flow Walker Cat; Stage 3 Crow Cam; ChipTorque Chip; 3" Mandrel Bent Intake; K&N Pod Filter; Low Pedders Suspension; 17" EL GT Champagne Rims; RPM Series Clutch

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:10 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

16's on tickfords etc + 2 = 18's

17's on certain models + 2 = 19's

i realise for models such as Gli's etc which didn't come with the bigger rims from stock that argument may be pushing it, but i've heard it *could* be used... :?

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:40 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

It depends what state you're in. I know for a fact that here in Vic, the word 'series' is used in the legistlation.
It depends on how you read it, but supposedly EA-ED are a series, as is EF-EL, bringing the fitment of 17" rims on both the EB and EL GT's into play. This means an increase of 25mm(don't quote me on that figure) in rolling diameter is allowed over these wheel tyre combos. Here in Vic.
I remember reading that NSW is a bit tricky, different wording, but the key word here is 'rolling diameter'.
Theoretically, as long as the rolling diameter doesn't change by huge amounts, you can use whatever size rim you want.
The plus 2" theory is really just a guide, using common tyre profiles.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

in WA officially you can do whatever you want to wheel diameter so long as the tyres rolling diam doesnt change more than +-5% or 2.5% or something like that.

for those saying that 15+2 means 17 is the max.. you're forgetting that FALCONS are fitted with 14" steel rims. so 16" is the max. hmm.

technically you can get 20s in 225/30R20 which is a close match to the 205/65R15 size on fairmonts, spacks n futuras n stuff.

as far as WIDTH goes, in WA you're not supposed to increase rim width at all. anything over stock is illegal.

that is an example where ADRs and laws controlling vehicle mods dont really make all that much sense. so, you're just gonna have to be a good boy n not piss off a cop..

ps this info is from my brother in law who works at the pits at one of the licencing centres.. he may be wrong, but personally i doubt it.

current ride: worn out chuck taylors

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

just get a tyre placard from a ebgt and say it is a gt with the kit removed coz it attracts theives.

current ride: worn out chuck taylors

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

jmartion wrote:
in WA officially you can do whatever you want to wheel diameter so long as the tyres rolling diam doesnt change more than +-5% or 2.5% or something like that.

for those saying that 15+2 means 17 is the max.. you're forgetting that FALCONS are fitted with 14" steel rims. so 16" is the max. hmm.

What e-series falcons came out with 14" rims?
My stock rims for my GLi are 15s
I've upgraded to 17s, legal or not, if I could've afforded 18s at the time, i would've bought them.

EF 5 speed manual; PH 4480 Pacemaker Headers; 2 1/2" Lukey Mandrel Bent System; Hi Flow Walker Cat; Stage 3 Crow Cam; ChipTorque Chip; 3" Mandrel Bent Intake; K&N Pod Filter; Low Pedders Suspension; 17" EL GT Champagne Rims; RPM Series Clutch

Last edited by Smackdown on Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:28 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

EA-EBI's had 14's from memory. i know my EA def had 14's!

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:35 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL XR6

Power: 141 rwkw

NSW, Australia

A general rule regarding rim width for legality purposes is that the rim width should not beexceeded by more than 25mm of the largest rim available, so leagally u can put on some 9.5's

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

So 18x9.5 are ok... excellent.

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

CHEF, now that the sidetracking is over...were you interested in legalities or just what will fit?

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Well due to the fact I spent alot of money getting this turbo thing engineered and legal, yes I want it all happy days for the Bill and my mates Shannons (tims words not mine...)

So, shannons tell me wheel hight can be 2inchs over the biggest available wheel for that model... was it possible to option GT rims on a ED GLi in 1994?? thats what they said to me, if so, then 18s are ok. And if these GT rims were 8.5 inches wide, and Shannons say 1inch wider than the widest available rim for that car from factory, therefor 9.5 must be ok... or is this all Bullocks?

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Blueprint EB II Fairmont 5L

WA, Australia

U guys do realize that an increase in a rim size by 2" (ie froom 15" to 17") doesnt mean that the rolling diameter will change by 2" (due to the larger rims having a lower profile tyre???

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next