Fordmods Logo

WIRING FOR MANUAL CONVERSION 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: WIRING FOR MANUAL CONVERSION
Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:56 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Well i got my box in and i'm at the point of starting to put my car back together.For all that helped me with my last thread i appreciate it greatly anyway i'm doing my wiring now.I've got a manual ECU and i've got the wiring loom that came with the gearbox so thats ok.What i'm wanting to know is on the auto loom the plug that goes to the coil runs into the round plug so do i just cut all the wires from the round plug except for the x2 purple wires that run to the coil plug?.I'm guessing that this is all i'll have to do as the loom from the box plug into the square plug under the hood and the coil loom will plug into the round plug under the hood i just wanted to double check that i'm on the right track

Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF Falcon

QLD, Australia

as far as i understand you simply disconnect the round plug and then plug in your new ecu.

the round plug doesnt go near the coil pack, if thats what you meant.

Nicco's M112 Blown, T-56 equipped EF
forums/viewtopic.php?t=68319

Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Boxcar Love

QLD, Australia

I just did this coversion not long ago, and with the manual ecu, i have NOTHING in the round plug. Its just taped up. :)

Commodore australia's favorite car??? What a load of s**t

Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:54 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

What i'm saying is the plug that plugs into my coil has to purple wires which go into the round plug.So what i was thinking is just cut off all wires and plugs from the round plug ect, except for the wire that runs down to the coil.That way i plug the square plug from my box into the square plug under the hood and then the round plug i plug that in and have only the coil wires hooked up still which i will run down and plug into the coil and the rest of the wires and plugs and the round plug i will have cut off and taped up.Because if i only have the loom from the box which has a square plug hooked up i cannot seee how my car will start as it will not have the wire that plugs into my coil.As the coil loom has x2 purple wires coming from it which go into the top round plug so i'm guessing that i just cut all wiring and plugs off the round plug tape them up and just leave the coil lead on it.That way the loom from my box will plug into the square plug and the coil wiring will plug into the round plug.If i do this will this work or do i have to hook the coil lead up to the wiring loom somewhere else.My car is an EBI F'MONT GHIA

Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:47 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

nicco wrote:
as far as i understand you simply disconnect the round plug and then plug in your new ecu.

the round plug doesnt go near the coil pack, if thats what you meant.
Yes but the plug that hooks up to the coil x2 of the wires from it run up into the round plug

Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

in that case i cant help you sorry, i have an EF, and it definitely doesnt have any coil pack wires coming from the round plug. i know this cause i cut them all off when i did my manual conversion.

i was under the impression that the e series were all the same except for ELs, but i was not 100%.

i also assumed you had an EF :? :lol:

Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

as far as i know once you have found and joined the wires for the reverse and neutral safety switch, un plug the other loom and as for ecu unplug auto ecu and plug in manual ecu...
no idea what is the go with the coil wires

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:26 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Ok sorry to waste a thread but i had an argument with a KNOW IT ALL MATE that was giving me a hand.Anyway the square blue plug that plugs into your coil.There is a plug exactly the same but it's black and plugs onto something on the Auto.Now the argument was that the black square plug has to plug into the coil which we all know that is as blue one anyway.This black square plug thats exactly the same as the one the plugs into the coil runs into the top round plug via x2 purple wire's.Anyway to cut along story short i hooked the wiring loom that came with the manual box up and and then run it up and plugged it into the square plug where it's ment to go i connected the coil up as the plug was'nt on it and tried to start my car but it would'nt start.So my mate thought he was it and a bit and thought he was right in what he was saying earlier about having to run the round plug down to the coil and plug it in.[I DONT KNOW HOW MY MATE LASTED WORKING AT FORD'S FOR 5YEARS]I then realized the gas gauge was disconnected i had to disconnect the gas gauge as the wire's for it where runing through where the clutch cable goes.Anyway i hooked the gas gauge back up and she started straite away so i've learn't one thing from this when doeing something like this do it in the order of what the instructions /manual say and dont listen to to many people as to many cooks spoil the broth.I should have stuck to the instructions i got from here from the start and only listened to those that i got info from off here.I started my manual conversion 2weeks ago 5 of those days i was in bed crook though. But what the problem has been was me not doing the job properly buy putting & hooking everything up in the right order which i should know this as i fix all mine and the family's cars

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

man that was a hell of a lot to read in one paragraph!! :lol:

good to hear you got it sorted anyway mate.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]