Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: work shocks = wasted tyres
Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:53 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

hey all

well went in for a wheel alignment on the weekend - was unhappy with the job my neighbour had been doing, so decided to go back to the place i used before.

front left was out 2.5 neg, front right 1.5. first problem.

2nd problem was worn shocks which was not picked up.

3rd problem is that, because of the 1st 2 issues, i now have to replace my front tyres! they've scalloped out the inside of the tyres, and they're both now f**k :(

so - end result is a new set of front shocks, new front tyres, and another wheel alignment. thinking about getting the same shocks (KYB's) for up front, and maybe a whiteline sway bar as well.

but p****d i'm having to replace stuff before their time, especially because it wasn't picked up by someone else! :x

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

how bad were the fronts worn ? did it happen quickly or haven't you been checking them??? :P

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:13 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

pretty bad - i hadn't been keeping an eye on them as much as i should have - i knew that much, but the problem was compounded by the poor workmanship of the alignment & worn suspension! :?

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:18 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

Ouch that gotta hurt dude!

What did you do to keep an eye on it?

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

uglybob wrote:
pretty bad - i hadn't been keeping an eye on them as much as i should have - i knew that much, but the problem was compounded by the poor workmanship of the alignment & worn suspension! :?

yes ... I check mine quite often ... just run your hand backwards against the tread - if you feel "feathering" of the type grooves you know something is wrong!!! Always nice to know they are wearing even before it gets too visual. You might be nice and straight tomorrow but unknowingly hit a pot hole or curb and bang - you are out!

FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Fairlane Ghia

WA, Australia

I discovered my fronts are scrubbed on inside, have got 40 000 outta them, so that not to bad, whats inside? camber?

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

I got about 30000 out of my fronts disappointingly. Still have almost 40% tread, apart from on the outside edge. Wheel alignment problems just destroyed them. Got 40000 out of the rear now, and theyre due for replacement... about last week. So i have to go get some more.

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:02 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

fraser just swap the fronts to the rears :)

and smoke em :P

KYB shocks are awesome got em in the front of my beast

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

you guys are quoting some pretty low figures for tyres... I'm on 80 thousand for mine and still got 40% tread!

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el faimont, dual fuel

VIC, Australia

what tyres are you running to get 80k?
and are you a grandpa driver by any chance, or just have a very kind allignment.

why do u write in here.

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

yes I am a grandpa driver lol ... just don't see the point of getting anywhere quickly!! haha Always checking the alignment - letting the car steering itself down a flat road (freeway) to check ... and keep your tyres nice and tight 36 to 40 psi!
Nangkang's - love em!

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF & VTR1000

NSW, Australia

you got the sp2's greg? thats what im using, hopefully i get the same, i gotta take my car for another alignment after the suspension wears in..

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:47 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EBII XR6 /ED XR6 /EF XR6

Power: 154 rwkw

QLD, Australia

got over 80'000 out of a set of kumho's on an xf ghia wagon with 3 deg - camber on both sides and high casters, gave it extra toe in to compensate for the camber, they wore evenly with no scolloping and replaced them while they still had legal tread on them. the tyres did another 10'000ks on my apprentices el before they were stuffed. as far as using kyb's go, don't do it, if you don't want to spend big dollars just get monroes or boges, have fitted kyb's in customers cars before only to replace them again due to the car taking longer to stop. shoks are the last thing you want to cheaply as if the shock is no good the best brakes wont work and neither will the best tyres.

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Happy wrote:
you guys are quoting some pretty low figures for tyres... I'm on 80 thousand for mine and still got 40% tread!

A tyre is not a tyre! Bob Jane will quote you a life of up to 100,000km out of their allrounders, but the drawback is they don't stick.

The old grand rally tryes used to wear the road out before the tread wore out, but again, no-one would touch them unless you wanted something only marginally better than bare rims or were the tightest a***hole in town.

Fact is that people who go sticky tyres get less life out of them for two reasons.

1. The tread is a softer compound and wears out quicker.
2. People who like sticky tyres are often giving the tyres a hard workout and using the extra grip they payed for, thereby wearing them out even quicker.

By comparison, people who buy hard, long life tyres are not interested in taking a corner hard and stepping the a** out. Nor do those people, in my opinion, have any regard for their safety, or other people's safety in an emergency.... especially at freeway speeds.

The other thing people don't consider is the age of the tyre, not just the distance it has travelled. I replace tyres when they're worn out, or every 3 years. Since I don't do many km per year, and a set of tyres probably lasts me 3 years, I don't see the point in saving $150 on a set of tyres to get cheap, long wearing ones and replace them when they're only 50% worn.

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

[self-deleted]

Last edited by blackjack_original on Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next