Fordmods Logo

XE Ute/Wagon leaf springs - difference? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: XE Ute/Wagon leaf springs - difference?
Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:22 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XE UTE

VIC, Australia

I am currently in the process of lowering the ute as it's way too high. I have front and rear pedders shocks as well as pedders front springs and rear lowering blocks.

Problem is i'm trying to avoid putting lowering blocks in and reseting the springs is way too costly at the moment, so i have been told about another alternative.

Apparently the leaf springs from a XD-XF wagon are identical to the ute ones, other than the fact they have less leaves, and will fit straight in. Because they have less leaves i have been told stock wagon springs will drop the height of the ute's a** end, they just wont be able to support any heavy loads as they are only designed for a wagon.

So the question is: a/ is it true the ute and wagon leaves are the same and will fit straight in? b/ is it true the wagon stock leaf springs will drop the rear of the ute and if so how much by? c/ is there any negatives to doing this other than not being able to carry heavy loads?

Post subject: Re: XE Ute/Wagon leaf springs - difference?
Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

You are better off with a set of springs made for the job.....better than lowering blocks.
You can add some extra leaves so if you have a load in the back, it will handle it.
I did this years ago with an XD sedan.....was $450 for new specially made springs to do this job.
I handled like a train on rails......had 27mm front bar and 24mm rear bar.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:53 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

cjh wrote:
You are better off with a set of springs made for the job.....better than lowering blocks.
You can add some extra leaves so if you have a load in the back, it will handle it.
I did this years ago with an XD sedan.....was $450 for new specially made springs to do this job.
I handled like a train on rails......had 27mm front bar and 24mm rear bar.

Thanks for that mate, i will eventually get my current springs reset but i was after a way to avoid the expense for now, that's why i am sking about the wagon leaves.

Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:54 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

edit. repost

Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Do you carry anything in the ute?

The wagon springs may sit a bit lower because they are softer, and will sag easily with any weight in the back.

You could try doing what I just did to my wagon.

CLICK HERE.

I hope that helps.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:39 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

BenJ wrote:

The wagon springs may sit a bit lower because they are softer, and will sag easily with any weight in the back.

CLICK HERE.

I hope that helps.

Cheers
BenJ

Thanks Ben, that's pretty clever what you did with the wagon. I think i am trying to do the reverse of what you did though, as i am trying to make the ute lower but also be able to handle the same weight as it does now. I guess what you're saying is to get a set of wagon springs then tuffen them up with some leaves from the ute spring pack? couldn't i just remove some of the ute's current leaves?

To answer your question i do carry some loads but 95% of the time my tray is empty, that's the reason why i'm happy to put up with softer springs (wagon) for the time being until i can the current springs reset or have new ones made so i can have both the lowish ride hide AND the load capacity, so putting wagon springs in the ute is only temporary anyway.

So i take it the wagon leaf set fits straight into a ute then?

Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:41 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

BenJ wrote:

CLICK HERE.

I hope that helps.

Cheers
BenJ

Thanks Ben, that's pretty clever what you did with the wagon. I think i am trying to do the reverse of what you did though, as i am trying to make the ute lower but also be able to handle the same weight as it does now. I guess what you're saying is to get a set of wagon springs then tuffen them up with some leaves from the ute spring pack? couldn't i just remove some of the ute's current leaves?

To answer your question i do carry some loads but 95% of the time my tray is empty, that's the reason why i'm happy to put up with softer springs (wagon) for the time being until i can the current springs reset or have new ones made so i can have both the lowish ride hide AND the load capacity, so putting wagon springs in the ute is only temporary anyway.

So i take it the wagon leaf set fits straight into a ute then?

Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

You could continue to use your Ute Springs, source a set of Wagon Springs and do the same mod I did to my Ute Springs, to your springs.

In the E Series/XG-XH Series vehicles, the leaf springs are interchangeable. I don't see why they wouldn't be in the early cars either.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:27 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Yeah i'll give that a go. I guess now i need a set of wagon springs, if anyone has any lying around in Melb please let me know. Thanks for the help mate.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]