Fordmods Logo

XH outback column shift economy button - where is it???????? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: XH outback column shift economy button - where is it????????
Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:45 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: XH Ute

NT, Australia

Hi all

I have just bought myself a series 1 auto outback ute with column shift. The users manual and gregories states the economy switch is on the top left of the dash (same place as headlights but opposite side), but it is not there.

Did they come with one - has someone changed it - I am lost. Any info on this would be appreciated.

Also I can't seem to get cruise control working and no lights display on the dash after hitting cruise control "on" button on the steering wheel. The cruise control module is there as I saw it under the bonnet.

Next, ABS, how do I know if it has ABS without doing the obvious and slamming on the breaks.

Thanks for your help.

1997 XH I Gli 5spd Man Ute
1996 XH I Outback Auto Ute
1989 XF 5spd Man Ute
Too many utes in the driveway? :)

Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: F350

QLD, Australia

Its down to the right of the steering wheel, on the bright alloy piece, next to the fuse panel

Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:54 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NT, Australia

On the bright alloy piece I have the fuel tank selector and a aftermarket switch I presume were for spotties.

1989 XF 5spd Man Ute

Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EF11 Ghia EB11 Ghia Courier ute

QLD, Australia

ABS info
brake rotors will be castleated and there wil be a squarish metal block (in simple terms) under the bonnet with lots of brake lines attached to it

Post subject: Re: XH outback column shift economy button - where is it????
Posted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:17 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

SandersG wrote:
I have just bought myself a series 1 auto outback ute with column shift. The users manual and gregories states the economy switch is on the top left of the dash (same place as headlights but opposite side), but it is not there.Did they come with one - has someone changed it - I am lost. Any info on this would be appreciated.
That's where it should be - carefully pry the bezel off and see if there is a plug sitting in the cavity.

SandersG wrote:
Also I can't seem to get cruise control working and no lights display on the dash after hitting cruise control "on" button on the steering wheel. The cruise control module is there as I saw it under the bonnet.
Sounds obvious, but does the caption light work. Do the brake lights work ??

SandersG wrote:
Next, ABS, how do I know if it has ABS without doing the obvious and slamming on the breaks.
They'll be two lines running off the master cylinder toward the passenger side - if there is a third line running off under the master cylinder through the front right fender then it is non ABS, if that line is absent, then it is ABS.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:52 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NT, Australia

I have worked out the problem with the cruise control. It is somewhere in the clock spring on the steering wheel as the horn also does not work. When disconnecting the steering wheel and joining the appropriate wires together I have been able to work the horn and turn cruise control on and off.

Does anyone know what a clock spring costs to replace also the cost of the T50 torx socket to remove the steering wheel and where I could get one from.

In terms of the economy switch I have removed the surround and there is a plug there however it contains four wires. The colour of these wires are 1. red, 2. red/green stripe. 3. blue/red stripe and 4. brown. The wiring diagram I have indicates that the switch should join wires Red with Red. Wire No 1 is earthed IAW the wiring diagram but there is not a second red wire from the ECU. My question is is this second red wire on the diagram a red/green, blue/red or brown wire that are in the plug.

I have also looked at the ECU but access is a problem to find the Grey/Black stripe wire that will eventually turn into the red wire I am after. It comes out of socket 27 on the ECU but I can not see it and I don't want to start removing the ECU. Is there another spot to start looking for this wire.

Essentially I want to know whether the plug that is there is for the economy switch and if so which wires do I join?

If not I am completely lost as to where my economy switch and wiring is?

Cheers

1989 XF 5spd Man Ute

Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:08 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

SandersG wrote:
I have worked out the problem with the cruise control. It is somewhere in the clock spring on the steering wheel as the horn also does not work. When disconnecting the steering wheel and joining the appropriate wires together I have been able to work the horn and turn cruise control on and off.
Does anyone know what a clock spring costs to replace also the cost of the T50 torx socket to remove the steering wheel and where I could get one from.
clock spring - wreckers, torx bits, etc - any auto store.

SandersG wrote:
In terms of the economy switch I have removed the surround and there is a plug there however it contains four wires. The colour of these wires are 1. red, 2. red/green stripe. 3. blue/red stripe and 4. brown. The wiring diagram I have indicates that the switch should join wires Red with Red. Wire No 1 is earthed IAW the wiring diagram but there is not a second red wire from the ECU. My question is is this second red wire on the diagram a red/green, blue/red or brown wire that are in the plug.
I have also looked at the ECU but access is a problem to find the Grey/Black stripe wire that will eventually turn into the red wire I am after. It comes out of socket 27 on the ECU but I can not see it and I don't want to start removing the ECU. Is there another spot to start looking for this wire.
Essentially I want to know whether the plug that is there is for the economy switch and if so which wires do I join?
If not I am completely lost as to where my economy switch and wiring is?
Cheers

1. red, 2. red/green stripe. - Econ s/w
3. blue/red stripe and 4. brown. - switch lighting

You might be able to get Econ switches from ford (dash type) - they look like a demist switch, except the demist is momentary, the econ switch is latching.
Failing that, you might need to use a power antenna switch - just rearrange the pinouts to suit.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:27 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NT, Australia

Thanks snap0964 I just joined the red with red/green and the economy light came on on the dash.

I wonder why the switch wasn't there because the instrument surround looks like it has never been off as all screws were there and tight and the tabs on the top were glued down not to mention that the foam seal along the top was stuck to the instrument clear plastic cover?

Anyway when looking at the wreckers will the clock spring be the same as an el/ef/xg or maybe even ed?

Snap0964 do you know much about the BCM and the problems with smart lock meaning the car won't start. It has happened to me twice now and I just have to give it a tap but I am thinking it won't be long till it won't start at all.

Thanks again for your help

1989 XF 5spd Man Ute

Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:08 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

NP.
The switch may've been overlooked on the assembly line.
Not too sure about the steering column - AFAIK the airbag wheels run an EF/EL type column, so I'd say an EF/EL clock spring would suit yours, because it runs EF/EL type cruise.
You can check this through ford part number wise.

For your BEM, you can always just replace it with an EF low or mid series BEM - see http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=89 .

Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:39 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NT, Australia

Cheers snap0964

I will see what next week brings

I am in Darwin however and I am not confident the wreckers will have what I am after. I can only try. :) :)

1989 XF 5spd Man Ute

Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Boosted ED XR6, EBII Mont Wgn

Power: 252 rwkw

VIC, Australia

if you dont have much luck with locating a clock spring let me know as i can supply one, i have a few laying around.... just PM me..

[SEXYR-6] ED XR6 T5 Turbo Build
[EBW-347] EB Wagon V8 Stroker Build
FordMods Member #1761

Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 10:34 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

SandersG wrote:
Cheers snap0964

I will see what next week brings

I am in Darwin however and I am not confident the wreckers will have what I am after. I can only try. :) :)

NP.

Looks like the clock spring is covered - try posting a wanted on here for an EF low or mid series BEM - should be a few around.

Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:17 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NT, Australia

Thanks for all your help.

I just removed the clock spring after buying the torx socket and taking the steering wheel off. They are a simple item that is essentially a loosely wrapped bit of insulated electrical tape. I removed the airbag wires to make life simpler (It doesn't have an airbag by the way) and simply cut about 10mm off the tape and re soldered the left over wires to the appropriate band on the tape. It is a fiddly job but it didn't seem too bad. I then melted the end of a zip tie to form a plastic insulation shield over the bare just soldered wires. I then put it all back together again after checking it with a multimeter and the job is done.

I now have a horn and cruise control and the cruise control works fine. I am yet to do full lock of the steering in both directions but I don't believe 10mm will make much difference. If it does I will just have to add more wire.

Once again thanks for all your help.
I now have the following:
-Working economy option on the auto
-Working cruise control
-Working horn
-I now know it is non ABS

Next on the list - new BEM at the moment a slight ta starts the car
- radio wiring (the radio does not work but I haven't begun to look at it yet)
-odometer light replacement on both xh's (believe it or not nowhere in Darwin has the bulb so its on order)

I just could be an auto-electrician by the end of all this

1989 XF 5spd Man Ute

Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:43 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XHII V8S Ute

NT, Australia

You will probably find that no wreckers in Darwin have any parts for EF/EL yet alone XH, I've certainly had no luck. If its a major part like gearbox/headlight/interior & exterior parts I find it best to use Ferntree Gully Auto Salvage - they are in Melb but can get most parts up here pretty quick. For other small things likes switches and the like Ford are the best or try Independent Motor Mart.

Pacies & single 2.5'. New manifold to come soon...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]