Fordmods Logo

XH ute vibration & auto service. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: XH ute vibration & auto service.
Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:34 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 2002 AU Fairlane Sportsman

NSW, Australia

Hi Guys, I have a 1996 XH ute, 244K on the speedo, 4.0 litre with the 4 speed auto. I have owned it for 6 months now and it has always had a vibration which comes through the dash and steering column. I have done the plugs and today I managed to tighten the bolts on the front engine mounts. About 3 months ago I replaced the rear mount but it is still vibrating. This only occurs when stopped in gear or sometimes in neutral when the revs are down to about 650. The only thing that I can think of now is possibly the auto transmission. Can someone tell me if this could be the cause, that's to say, could there be a problem in the auto box. Also what is the suggested service intervals for the auto? Once the car moves off it drives like a dream and there is no sign of any vibrations.Any ideas will be greatly appreciated or will it be a case of taking it to a Ford dealer for evaluation? Many thanks AU055

Post subject: Re: XH ute vibration & auto service.
Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Check your coil and dizzy.....they'd be due for a change out.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:57 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: xp falcn ute

WA, Australia

mine does exactly the same !!! 245k's
changed leads over on the weekend (cleaned up dizzy cap too) made a difference but still does it :?

cheers

Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:33 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 2002 AU Fairlane Sportsman

NSW, Australia

Thanks for that guys. XPUTE, is your XH an auto or manual?. I spoke to a mechanic today and he said that if it was the coil or dizzy then it would be rough across the rev range and not just when it goes into either drive or reverse. It may need a service on the transmission so I will have it done and see what happens. Either way with the mileage that is on it, it is pobably due for one anyway. Thanks again.

Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:07 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: xp falcn ute

WA, Australia

yeah auto mate , when stuck at lights i put into neutral :roll:
just had a service and tune , mechanic also said gearbox due for a service as the oil in it is black :|
so yeah will see how we go from ere :arrow:

cheers mate :mrgreen:

Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: XH Ute / AU3 V8 Wagon

QLD, Australia

Firstly, do not keep putting it into and out of neutral at every set of lights. It is a quick way to root the auto. Leave it in drive, it's called an "automatic" for a reason.

Secondly, make sure the trans place checks the rear bush, it will probably be flogged out by now. Mine was.

If the vibe is still there in neutral after you have replaced the electrical stuff (coil, module, etc) have the injectors cleaned. Mine idled like crap when I first got it, had the inj's done and it ran sweet.

Good luck. 8-)

Yes, I own a Ute. No, I won't help you move!

EL Wagon Build Thread http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sooty72-s-ef-futura-wagon-long-term-project-t90025.html
XH Ute Thread http://www.fordmods.com/post1138970.html#p1138970

Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:20 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL Fairmont

QLD, Australia

au055 wrote:
Hi Guys, I have a 1996 XH ute, 244K on the speedo, 4.0 litre with the 4 speed auto. I have owned it for 6 months now and it has always had a vibration which comes through the dash and steering column. I have done the plugs and today I managed to tighten the bolts on the front engine mounts. About 3 months ago I replaced the rear mount but it is still vibrating. This only occurs when stopped in gear or sometimes in neutral when the revs are down to about 650. The only thing that I can think of now is possibly the auto transmission. Can someone tell me if this could be the cause, that's to say, could there be a problem in the auto box. Also what is the suggested service intervals for the auto? Once the car moves off it drives like a dream and there is no sign of any vibrations.Any ideas will be greatly appreciated or will it be a case of taking it to a Ford dealer for evaluation? Many thanks AU055

Drivers side engine mount!!

Too check have someone apply the brake and rev the engine in drive then do the same in reverse(hold it for about 5-10secs). The engine should lift and pull at the same level on each side.

Current ride 2007
ML GLX Dualcab Triton 4x4

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]