Page 4 of 4 [ 50 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post subject: Re: Xr6 body roll
Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

shyun wrote:
Greenmachine wrote:
You'll have to research this for sure - all I can say is I went to a workshop and told them I wanted an EL Diff cover put on my 1993 ED - they said ok they'll call me when the part comes in - about a week later I got the call, dropped off the car, picked it up that afternoon and indeed there was a shiny new diff cover on it. The invoice/receipt showed 1 x part number "xyz" EL Falcon Diff cover - I don't have the docket anymore nor do I remember the actual number. I do recall them saying they were holding their breath to see if it would fit "but it went straight on".

Did you actually notice a difference with the el cover on?
With the springs though, becuase it's an xr6, the xr6 lows are actually superlows on non lowered falcons (kinda misleading:P). They're not all that soft, the cars fairly stiff over bumps and such.
The only problem with upping the roll-bar's on the back is it will get stiffer, so the handling at the back should decrease even if it isn't rolling as much. I also managed to get a el diff cover from the wreckers for $20 so i'l have to see how that goes once i get some sealant, gasket and oil for the diff and chuck it on.

I can't say I did actually notice any difference - and same when I fitted XR6 type top trailing arms (from Whiteline - necessitated the attachment holes being redrilled in the diff bracket) - but I have to make it clear the car handled VERY well already and overall - but it always had this thing that showed most clearly on roundabouts where the rear under those conditions felt... "mushy" and traction was a big problem - not sure if that's actually your problem too?. Stiffening the sway bar didn't help as altho it reduced the mushyness the breakaway problem became worse and overall balance was adversely affected. I even tried softening the front - which DID help a bit but adversely affected overall performance - again it points to the springs themselves being too soft. To be clear it isn't the same sort of thing as having the rear too stiff - ie. not the old go-kart syndrome - "mushy" is the only term that describes it. In my case good tyres just made it more controllable - I could do wicked power slides with Dunlop FM901's.

Roll oversteer is a different thing to rigid oversteer I think?

I gave up trying to adjust it out and resigned myself to being careful thru roundabouts and tight slow corners - as I said, overall handling at all but fairly low speed in tight turns was fine. It just struck me how much firmer the std springs in this EF were when I could directly compare (or they may even be HD as it's evidently been set up for boat or horse float towing) - and I'm amazed how much more solid and secure the EF feels in roundabouts etc. I'm really thinking that the Kings were always too soft - but at higher speed the shockies would compensate to largely negate the problem.

You know, I'd suggest fitting a set of factory XR6 rear springs for a while just to see if it makes a difference (I know it'll raise the rear a bit but you should still get a sense for whether it's making a fundamental difference) - or do King do Superlow HD springs?

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:42 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: ED XR6, AUII XR8

VIC, Australia

Greenmachine wrote:
shyun wrote:
Greenmachine wrote:

I gave up trying to adjust it out and resigned myself to being careful thru roundabouts and tight slow corners - as I said, overall handling at all but fairly low speed in tight turns was fine. It just struck me how much firmer the std springs in this EF were when I could directly compare (or they may even be HD as it's evidently been set up for boat or horse float towing) - and I'm amazed how much more solid and secure the EF feels in roundabouts etc. I'm really thinking that the Kings were always too soft - but at higher speed the shockies would compensate to largely negate the problem.

You know, I'd suggest fitting a set of factory XR6 rear springs for a while just to see if it makes a difference (I know it'll raise the rear a bit but you should still get a sense for whether it's making a fundamental difference) - or do King do Superlow HD springs?

I don't think the superlows are HD, but since the car has always had them on i'm not sure what standard xr6 springs are like. It's more the back rolls more than the front, thr front is pretty solid.
It's funny though, for me tight slow corners is where the car handles best! It will go into understeer long before it starts to flip the back out. The situation it's worst in is where you go straight through a medium sized roundabout and you can go through reasonably fast. It doesn't realy like the change of direction- you turn left to go around, then sharply right and level off as the road goes back to the straight. In the turning right part you can feel it the worst, as long as you have some speed up. If i actually did a 90 degree turn and went right at the same roundabout the car would act fine, probably becuase i'd have to go slower .I've also noticed it doesnt like the weight going to the front. Weight chaniging to the front from slowing down makes the roll worse, and filling up with a full tank seems to make the back better. i'l just see how the el diff thing goes on the weekend

ED XR6, LeMans Red, 5-Speed
AUII XR8, Silhouette, 5-Speed

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

I'll be interested to hear what you find with the EL cover. Also I should add that the front King Low (std XR6 height) springs seem ok - it's only the rears that seem too soft - and they ALWAYS seemed soft to me - it was something I noticed when I first fitted them and then REALLY stood out when I had the EF and ED side by side for comparison.

It's really frustrating that I have no clear recollection of how the Lovells compared when I had them fitted for a while several years ago (they too were "low" - ie. brought a std car down to XR6 factory height) - but I was at the time concentrating to trying to get POS Koni shocks to handle decently.

And my experience is with lows, not superlows so may really not be relevant.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

this may not be as relivent to the posts here, but they changed the front geometry on the EL from the EF to help with the steering too. Don't know if it changed from the ED's to ef's tho

I think this change happened with the roll centre change on the diff as well

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:28 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: ED XR6, AUII XR8

VIC, Australia

fiftyone wrote:
this may not be as relivent to the posts here, but they changed the front geometry on the EL from the EF to help with the steering too. Don't know if it changed from the ED's to ef's tho

I think this change happened with the roll centre change on the diff as well

yeah the EF got different lower control arms, and then on the el they changed the strut rod mount on the front and changed the sway bars (not sure what changed though). Thats the changes i've read about, I wonder what sort of difference this made?

Dif cover was installed successfully too:P Bolted straight on, so dno what the wrecker was on about. I also used a dif gasket, but it needed holes poked in it for the seating plugs on the dif as it was an EA gasket. I think they must of stopped using gaskets after EA. Initial impressions are that the back sits flatter in higher speed cornering and feels more stable. On a few corners where it would understeer initially, then roll and slide the back out after straightening up, it seems to just understeer now without the after affect of the back feeling like it can't keep up. I'l see how it goes on a few more drives.

ED XR6, LeMans Red, 5-Speed
AUII XR8, Silhouette, 5-Speed

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 4  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4