Fordmods Logo

XTREME CLUTCH KITS 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: XTREME CLUTCH KITS
Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:18 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Falcon EF

SA, Australia

Hey guys im soon to be in the market for a new clutch kit and have narrowed my options down to one of two kits,firstly is the xtreme heavy duty kit KFD26001HD and secondly the dampened cushion button heavy duty kit KFD26001DCBHD,i think the first option will be plenty for me as my car is basically a stock EF with XR6 running gear but was just after peoples views and opinions on the two kits

Cheers guys

Post subject: Re: XTREME CLUTCH KITS
Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

When I did the manual conversion on my ED the "Kit" came with an Extreme Clutches clutch (purple fancy looking thing) - it works fine but caused me quite a bit of trouble - ie. it is extremely hard / stiff to operate which has caused:
1. the cable spiggot in the firewall to tear out - I have repaired this with a sandwiching double metal plates arrangement with an externally threaded tube as the new spiggot (ie. nut and plate on inside, nut and plate on outside - with angle cut "wedges" of box big enough to fit over tube/spiggot so as to make it angled correctly for the cable).

2. I used a Mal Wood clutch pedal shaft - ie. it bolts into the otherwise empty hole in the auto pedal box - and it is tearing the side out of the pedal box. I have a complete new auto pedal box with reinforcing plates ready to be fitted when I get round to it (used auto pedal box as it's about 1/4 cost of manual one and the Mal Wood shaft with plates is much easier way to strengthen the situation than trying to beef up the poxy factory manual pedal box with built in shaft).

3. The clip that attaches the cable to the pedal broke - which was a heap of fun.... I fitted a new clip and put a small hose clamp over it to help keep it from being able to spread and break again - but I hold my breath every time I push the clutch in.....

Also the engagement travel is VERY small - it's almost an oil-can type action. To make it useable I had the clutch pedal modified by moving the cable attachment stud about 15mm closer to the pedal shaft spiggot (ie. to give the pedal more mechanical advantage over the cable). This makes the clutch travel and operate more normally and also softened it somewhat but by christ it's still F**k hard!!

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:05 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

bloody hell,your making me feel like turning the car back to auto,sounds like you had a bad run mate,anyway basically guys my car is a daily driver and i forgot to mention when i converted to manual i strengthened my pedal box and firewall before all the usual troubles arised.

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 2021 Amarok V6

SA, Australia

Greenmachine wrote:
When I did the manual conversion on my ED the "Kit" came with an Extreme Clutches clutch (purple fancy looking thing) - it works fine but caused me quite a bit of trouble - ie. it is extremely hard / stiff to operate which has caused:
1. the cable spiggot in the firewall to tear out - I have repaired this with a sandwiching double metal plates arrangement with an externally threaded tube as the new spiggot (ie. nut and plate on inside, nut and plate on outside - with angle cut "wedges" of box big enough to fit over tube/spiggot so as to make it angled correctly for the cable).

2. I used a Mal Wood clutch pedal shaft - ie. it bolts into the otherwise empty hole in the auto pedal box - and it is tearing the side out of the pedal box. I have a complete new auto pedal box with reinforcing plates ready to be fitted when I get round to it (used auto pedal box as it's about 1/4 cost of manual one and the Mal Wood shaft with plates is much easier way to strengthen the situation than trying to beef up the poxy factory manual pedal box with built in shaft).

3. The clip that attaches the cable to the pedal broke - which was a heap of fun.... I fitted a new clip and put a small hose clamp over it to help keep it from being able to spread and break again - but I hold my breath every time I push the clutch in.....

Also the engagement travel is VERY small - it's almost an oil-can type action. To make it useable I had the clutch pedal modified by moving the cable attachment stud about 15mm closer to the pedal shaft spiggot (ie. to give the pedal more mechanical advantage over the cable). This makes the clutch travel and operate more normally and also softened it somewhat but by christ it's still F**k hard!!

sounds a bit like my dramas. i modified my auto pedalbox with a home made clutch pin, and its lasted just over a month, and its totally f**k. ive practically torn it in half, due to having an extremely heavy clutch (not sure what brand it is). the cable fork on the bellhousing that the clutch cable connects to lasted one press of the pedal before that snapped :lol: and i haven't checked my firewall yet, but im not looking forward to it.

so ima go get another auto pedalbox, and make the whole f**k thing at least 1/2 in thick :lol: so it will never EVER bend :lol: i dont care if it weighs 15kg, as long as it doesnt break i'l be happy. lol

i might do the same to my firewall when i get the chance.

2021 V6 Manual Amarok - 245kw/750nm - many goodies
1997 EL Fairmont Ghia 4.0 - Heritage Green & Cappa
2010 Suzuki GSX650F - when I want to be silly

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:40 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

well thats why xtreme dont list or make a xhd clutch kit for e series,due to the ongoing cable,firewall and pedalbox cracking issues,but all im really interested in is the differences in the clutch bite of the two different clutch plates as thats the only difference on the two that ive mentioned

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]