So, I built a new rig. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: So, I built a new rig.
Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:30 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

Its been a few years since I last did a somewhat serious upgrade on the PC,I like to build them to last 4 years, and just replace peripherals.

I opted for pretty much all Asus gear this time round. My last build was pretty much exclusively Gigabyte, and it left me somewhat underwhelmed and constantly battling compatability issues.

Mainly due to the CPU I choose.

This time round though, as I was reusing 50% of my original gear, it was alot cheaper.
I got
Asus P8Z68-v LX Mobo
Intel I7 2600 (not the K)
16gig of Patriot DDR3 ram
2x 1 gig Asus 6670 gfx cards on reference boards.
And a new sata DVD rom.

I as wary of compatability issues having a mobo and GFX cards from the same company on previous history, but, it went together perfectly.

I am pretty happy with the new setup, I put it all together and get change from $600 as well!! that was my biggest goal, under $600. I was surprised I was able to do it with 2 graphics cards as well as 16 gig ram.

I have a car.

Post subject: Re: So, I built a new rig.
Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:00 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

dc_todd wrote:
Its been a few years since I last did a somewhat serious upgrade on the PC,I like to build them to last 4 years, and just replace peripherals.

I opted for pretty much all Asus gear this time round. My last build was pretty much exclusively Gigabyte, and it left me somewhat underwhelmed and constantly battling compatability issues.

Mainly due to the CPU I choose.

This time round though, as I was reusing 50% of my original gear, it was alot cheaper.
I got
Asus P8Z68-v LX Mobo
Intel I7 2600 (not the K)
16gig of Patriot DDR3 ram
2x 1 gig Asus 6670 gfx cards on reference boards.
And a new sata DVD rom.

I as wary of compatability issues having a mobo and GFX cards from the same company on previous history, but, it went together perfectly.

I am pretty happy with the new setup, I put it all together and get change from $600 as well!! that was my biggest goal, under $600. I was surprised I was able to do it with 2 graphics cards as well as 16 gig ram.

That is one hell of a steal to get 2 graphics card, an I7 processor and 16G of ram for that price.

I built my current computer last year in December for around $900.

AMD Phenom II X4 960T Black Edition CPU (better than the new Bulldozer)
Asus M5A99X-EVO Mobo
8G Kingston DDR3 1600 RAM
1T Sata HDD
700W PSU
Asus ATI 6950 1G Graphics
Sata DVD drive

Most expensive part was my graphics card though.

How come you went with 2 x 6670? running multiple screens?

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:15 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

NSW, Australia

Yeah I have 2 sometimes 3 monitors attached. Can't live with one, even one big one. I like the way 2 monitors work, I was looking at a more expensive cars, but with the 6670's on sale for under $100 each, it helped my decision.

I was looking and thinking about an update for a while now, then an MSY sale was on at a new branch so I stuck my head in and picked up a good deal. I was actually looking for a 2700K, but nobody in Sydney had one in stock for a realistic price. would have wanted more, but the wallet is only so deep, add to that the TE50 rebuild process. thats more $$ going out as well that need to be accounted for.

I have a car.

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:25 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

dc_todd wrote:
Yeah I have 2 sometimes 3 monitors attached. Can't live with one, even one big one. I like the way 2 monitors work, I was looking at a more expensive cars, but with the 6670's on sale for under $100 each, it helped my decision.

I was looking and thinking about an update for a while now, then an MSY sale was on at a new branch so I stuck my head in and picked up a good deal. I was actually looking for a 2700K, but nobody in Sydney had one in stock for a realistic price. would have wanted more, but the wallet is only so deep, add to that the TE50 rebuild process. thats more $$ going out as well that need to be accounted for.

Money is always an issues it seems haha.

With the 6950 2G you can run 2 screens quiet easily without issues (so I have read). I can run 2 screen with the 6950 1G but don't think it will run as smooth as a 2G.

Now that you have a decent mobo and CPU, you can always get two 6950s or 6970 (when they get cheaper) and it'll be even more awesome!

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:43 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

NSW, Australia

Yeah I was thinking the same about GPU's, 6-8 months time. the way it stands now, it will handle anything thrown at it. I put em together, looking for about 3 -4 years out of them with minor upgrades along the way.

I think I have achieved that with this build as well.

I have a thermaltake 750w PSU, so I can still do 2 big cards down the track if I feel like it.

I have a car.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]