Fordmods Logo

twr7cx's ride - currently under going heart transplant 

Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post subject: Re: twr7cx's ride - currently under going heart transplant
Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

BOV that I run is a Turbosmart Dual Port. I've modified it with the softer Turbosmart supercharger spring, I've also blocked off the lower port and put a larger trumpet on the upper port (but I'm going to ditch the trumpet to try to reduce noise).

Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Cheers. Mine was rebuilt with the better belt and ceramic bearings, and has the case breather mods (not active cooling, however). It has a stock impeller.

My setup has a TurboSmart 35mm bov, its bloody massive. It has the red supercharger spring. Has yours been cut? I am told that even though mine is the supercharger spring it will have too much tension, apparently it needs to be cut about 40mm to get the right preload.

I don't think the heat was the problem with mine because it wasn't running for long or very hard.

Anyway once some parts arrive I hope to have it running again, hopefully the bov spring was my only issue.

Cheers again and sorry for the hijack.

Jason

Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:09 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU111 XR6 VCT Supercharged

QLD, Australia

galapogos01 wrote:
Hmm... im running a 2.7" pulley on a setup I just bought which has some "issues" at the moment and i've been told to put the 2.9" back on. According to my calcs, a 2.7" is well within spec of what 928 rate their blowers to with the high performance rebuild. And you're running a 2.5 with no issues??? :shock:

I'll be modifying my BOV spring as suggested by the pro's as they think this is the cause of my problems. What BOV are you running?

Thanks for the answers, much appreciated as I try to make my setup (a lot) more reliable...

Jason

I have the same supercharger and raptor mods. If you have a dig through the 928 website, they recommend the basic bosch BOV (plumb back) as being the most suitable for supercharger applications. This is what they use on they're own vehicles. Apparently the turbo style BOV's flutter when releasing boost, which places undue load on the supercharger. We need the air to be dumped quickly and in one go. Worth a look. The Bosch items are cheap too, but you won't get the noises you may be after.

Joe

FOR SALE! - Supercharged AUIII XR6 VCT, intercooled, T5, big brakes.... details in the 'For Sale' section - ford-parts-for-sale-f17/fs-supercharged-au-xr6-vct-series-iii-intercooled-rwc-rego-t114254.html

Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

galapogos01 wrote:
My setup has a TurboSmart 35mm bov, its bloody massive. It has the red supercharger spring. Has yours been cut? I am told that even though mine is the supercharger spring it will have too much tension, apparently it needs to be cut about 40mm to get the right preload.

No, I did not have to cut mine. The supercharger spring is extremely soft already in comparison - if I cut mine by 40mm it would be open constantly. I wonder if you have the right spring. I know I have 2 spare springs, I will check what colour they are.

Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

JoeXR6 wrote:
galapogos01 wrote:
Hmm... im running a 2.7" pulley on a setup I just bought which has some "issues" at the moment and i've been told to put the 2.9" back on. According to my calcs, a 2.7" is well within spec of what 928 rate their blowers to with the high performance rebuild. And you're running a 2.5 with no issues??? :shock:

I'll be modifying my BOV spring as suggested by the pro's as they think this is the cause of my problems. What BOV are you running?

Thanks for the answers, much appreciated as I try to make my setup (a lot) more reliable...

Jason

I have the same supercharger and raptor mods. If you have a dig through the 928 website, they recommend the basic bosch BOV (plumb back) as being the most suitable for supercharger applications. This is what they use on they're own vehicles. Apparently the turbo style BOV's flutter when releasing boost, which places undue load on the supercharger. We need the air to be dumped quickly and in one go. Worth a look. The Bosch items are cheap too, but you won't get the noises you may be after.

Joe

Makes no difference if you run the correct spring. But if you run a turbo BOV with the turbo spring then it will not work correctly.

Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:10 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

dis you ever do a dyno run on the old engine with the powerdyne??

Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
galapogos01 wrote:

No, I did not have to cut mine. The supercharger spring is extremely soft already in comparison - if I cut mine by 40mm it would be open constantly. I wonder if you have the right spring. I know I have 2 spare springs, I will check what colour they are.

that would be great. here's a pic of mine:
with the (red) spring i have, under any deceleration at any speed it would vent very loudly. i want to shut it up - going to look at welding some bungs to plumb it back once it's running again.

i understand the diaphragm bov types are smoother in operation than some spring type bovs, but the diaphragm ones are also prone to leaking from what im told, plus i'd probably need two to match the vent capacity of this thing.

edit: Is this more like the spring you have?
part number FG-BVS-SPCS... looks a lot softer than the red one I have...

Jason

Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
dis you ever do a dyno run on the old engine with the powerdyne??

Nope.

Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

The bottom sprign looks like the one I'm running. As long as your run your BOV venting atmospheric it will be noisey. One option is to run a pipe down to the bottom of the engine bay, this will help to reduce the noise somewhat.

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3