Fordmods Logo

new kid on the block - xf 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: new kid on the block - xf
Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:39 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: xf

New Zealand

hey guys, been using a mates login for awhile now checkn out technical docs and that. thought id better make up alogin and introduce myself coz im loving how much helpful stuff is on here, has benifitted my lil daily driver come project (isnt it always the way) a hell of alot. had my fair share of jap pocket rockets and towards the end of my ownership of my last one (1uzfe v8 celsior) i began panelling my old mans crusty old xf ute for resale. now i dunno how it happened, possibly sentiment for the old girl after dads 10 year plus ownership, or i didnt wanna see my fresh panel n paint go to waste, or that it was just too damn handy at the time, but she fell into my ownership.so, fresh paint, lowered, scored up some rims, and i was pimpin. ive had it for over a year now, and the new motors been in for around 6 months. new motor? but those 4.1 crossflows are bullet proof! i hear you say. that they are, and 350thou kays and plenty of 1st gear skids proved that. but more power and more smoke was what i wanted. a decent skid car i could drive to work. started asking questions, acquiring parts. i scored up an auto eb eng, loom susp and driveline along with an xr6 t5. (only needed the bellhousing as my xf came with a t5 too but a spare gearbox aint gona hurt anybody) chucked it all in, everything bolted up sweet as planned, wiring was a headache. as planned. :wink: you guys got me on the right track with a smartlock bypass module, and i basically ran just the eng managment side of the eb loom and used the xf loom for accesories. 2.5 inch exhaust, oil press and temp gauge slapped in too and i was skidding. ran sweet for awhile, then slowly developed a bit of a miss at idle. miss got abit worse, started sounding like it was really hunting for idle. replaced map sensor and vaccum hose reset ecu, seemed to fix it. but the miss came back. went thru a coupla map sensors nd ecus, replaced spark plugs, leads, dizzy cap and rotor all to no avail. replaced the factory fuel press reg with an adjustable one. set it to bout 40-43psi and mint! fixed it! took a mate for a drive bout a week later and blew me factory lsd. bugger! drove it in as much of a straight line home as possible (crunch crunch crunch) and chucked the eb single spinner in it place. (anyone know how to lock one of these?or a buggerd lsd) next arvo, all back together go to take it for a drive, chronic miss once more. replace fuel pump. fixed! for a day. i am now back to it hunting for idle real bad, doesnt miss much under hard load and just sort of gives a little miss every now and then while cruising. its really starting to piss me off the up/down/updown of the revs at idle, dropping right down til the idle up solonoid kicks in sometimes, sometimes brings itself up without it. this little problems the only real pain in the a*** ive had with wat has been a great vehicle. anyway, ideas on that would be great (taking me weeks to get thru all the tech library and links here haha). photo attachments of the ol girl should follow, gotta have a search nd get a "before" pic of it

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NMASIS - '89 XF. ED transplant engine, T5 with billet shortshifter, H/D clutch, adj fuel press reg, pod filter, 2.5'' exhaust, LSD, linelocker.
wishlist - DSR 480 turbo, big fat alloy radiator and a nine inch. oh and money. ha.

Post subject: Re: new kid on the block - xf
Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

SkidMcMarks wrote:
i scored up an auto eb eng, loom susp and driveline along with an xr6 t5.

Just curious, what ecu did you use, auto resistor tricked, or manual, or afermarket?
Just I've heard problems with resistor tricking the ecu.
Nice ute by the way.

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: DCII LTD V8

New Zealand

Loving the interior mate. My old XF wagon was brown inside and out, loved it!! So much better than Grey. Welcome to Fordmods

1993 LTD V8 Oregon 5 speed "click me"

Trick Flow Heads/Cam/Intake, Crane Ignition, T5Z Trans.

Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:37 pm 
Oompa Loompa

New Zealand

OZBMX-
none of the above, just factory auto one, i woulda thought all tricking the ecu does it makes it think its in neutral so it starts?
XFWAGON-
yep, go the brown. haha.

NMASIS - '89 XF. ED transplant engine, T5 with billet shortshifter, H/D clutch, adj fuel press reg, pod filter, 2.5'' exhaust, LSD, linelocker.
wishlist - DSR 480 turbo, big fat alloy radiator and a nine inch. oh and money. ha.

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

Hmm, well I'd be looking into that, as I've heard of people having problems with idle caused by auto ecu's used in manual conversions.

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:27 pm 
Oompa Loompa

New Zealand

mean cheers for that bro. ive looked into it, will put correct resistors in gear position an trans temp wires from ecu maybe next weekend. burnouts this weekend hopefully, will try get you guys some pics up or vids if i can find out how to put them up.

Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:54 pm 
Oompa Loompa

New Zealand

what a succesful week. got GIVEN (yes given, lucky coincidence) a mint ute lsd diff early in the week, had been sittn for a few years but changed the oil and it seems sweet, all put in before the weekend and had an awesome day of burnouts out at the local "private" burnout pad today, tryna find out how to put up vids now, can you add them as attachments? only real bugger of a thing is i got snaked on trademe for what i hope wasnt fiends last billet shortshifter on trademe today! gutted as! cheers for the pms guys, keep the questions coming, happy to answer anyone elses questions

Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Jut grab one off eBay mate, it's where i got mine, the price is right.(it's the same unit, i told Fiend about it) Unless ol Fiendy is ordering them in bulk now... which wouldn't surprise me lol

Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:23 pm 
Oompa Loompa

New Zealand

oh yeah might have to give that a go, he hasnt pmd me back bout another one yet. make much difference bro?

Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Dunno mate, lol haven't had the chance to put my Gbox in yet. Take a look at my build thread (coloured red in my sig) and you will see why. But according to a few people who have put one in, it does make a decent significance to how it performs

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:42 pm 
Oompa Loompa

New Zealand

truu sounds good mate keepin an eye out for one. s**t your sedans sexy, manual v8s are bloody awesome.

Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:38 am 
Oompa Loompa

New Zealand

manual ecu - check.
shortshifter and gasket set - check.
oh f**k theres water comin outta me water pump, so...
new water pump - check.
gotta put all this s**t in this weekend along with changin diff and gearbox oils, maybe even wire up this cool little 2'' tacho thats been sittn in the shed for months now. just wish i was abit better at saving so i could get the cash to turbo it. nothing worse than running outta money halfway through a project.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]