Fordmods Logo

cost of new pads and rotors? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: cost of new pads and rotors?
Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:32 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EF GliXR

ACT, Australia

it's coming time to change the brakes and i'm thinking of a bit of an overhaul. probably go the ol bendix ultimates with some slotted dba's. anyone know how much i'd be looking at? i figured under the $1000 mark. and outta curiosity does anyone know how much a new set of calipers for an ef would set me back? or possibly some aftermarket options? just curious since i'm pretty sure mine are f**k out on me. cheers.

\m/

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

Down here i got quoted $100 each for slotted rotors, DBA i think they were? Then $130 for a set of 2 EBC Green Stuff brake pads was gonna get that setup done on the front for just under $400 including fitting. :) thats a pretty good price if you ask me.

But i had other things to get done at the time (as usual) and i only ended up getting a set of Hightek (spelling) brake pads for the rears and as of next week for the front also.

Well worth the $$ i paid for as they are a very quiet brake pad, and pretty clean too (minimal brake dust) :)

Good luck

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:27 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

NSW, Australia

Mate, i upgraded my rotors to RDA slotted on the fronts and EBC green pads. Got some bendix advance rear pads, plus flushed out all the old brake fluid and topped with fresh DOT 5 fluid.

All this cost about $300.

Got my brake rotors & pads from www.hightekbrakes.com.au, just drop them an email and mention fordmods they'll take care of ya :D

The improvement in braking is awesome for that price.

Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Ummmm, does anyone replace wheel bearings when you replace rotors? If you don't, you're an idiot.

I payed $18/side for a wheel bearing kit. Cheap nashi bearings though. If I had have got them through work, I would have payed about $5/side for Timken.

Anyway, you've got to take the bearings out to replace the rotors, so why not replace the bearings while you're there? In all the posts in this forum I've seen about replacing rotors, I've never seen anyone talk about replacing the bearings at the same time.

Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:44 am 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EF GliXR

ACT, Australia

why do u need to?

\m/

Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA ute, FG XR6T

NSW, Australia

unclewoja wrote:
Ummmm, does anyone replace wheel bearings when you replace rotors? If you don't, you're an idiot.

I payed $18/side for a wheel bearing kit. Cheap nashi bearings though. If I had have got them through work, I would have payed about $5/side for Timken.

Anyway, you've got to take the bearings out to replace the rotors, so why not replace the bearings while you're there? In all the posts in this forum I've seen about replacing rotors, I've never seen anyone talk about replacing the bearings at the same time.

This is a good point raised. Any brake place that doesn't inspect and re-pack wheel bearings when replacing your disks should be viewed with contempt. It was once common practice, but no more. Verify this before you commit to their business and have them include those details on their invoice. The re-torquing of a dry (potentialy fatigued) bearing can only contribute to its eventual failure.
I was caught out once on a new S/H car, and it was the one time I didn't verify their practices. Bearing as dry as a nuns vagina, plus one rooted stub axle. It's just bad form.

Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Oettinger Golf GTI

NSW, Australia

rockerfella wrote:
why do u need to?

You can alternatively when your in Sydney next get Joe ot do it all for you if your not that way inclined, or get your rotors/pads from him or Cam @ Hightek.

Bearings arent much.. nothing for a falcon is these days esp thru fordmods discounts!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]