Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

unclewoja wrote:
Pft. $2500. You gotta be kidding.

This is consistent with what i've found - but it was $2500 drive in, drive out. Lol, not disagreeing with you... maybe its the price of a Box that's ready to bolt up to the 8? Pretty sure an I6 t5 needs a bit of stuffing around. Sounds like brett was quoting new as well...

Quote:
even a Megasquirt with Wideband oxy all for around the $8000 mark.

Why convert to bank fire speed density from mass-air sequential? Get a compatible ECU and tweecer the b**ch if you need tunability.

Sounds like you've got a plan tho... just need to tee up those parts!!

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
Why convert to bank fire speed density from mass-air sequential? Get a compatible ECU and tweecer the b**ch if you need tunability.

Sounds like you've got a plan tho... just need to tee up those parts!!

Calculated on 80% injector duty cycle, batch fire and sequential injection are exactally the same above 2300RPM. Injectors open at the same time, and fuel is injected into the port well before it's needed in both situations.
The only thing sequential gives you over batch is a slightly smoother idle and lower emissions @ idle and cruise.
But, like I pointed out to my friend, a batch fire system with wideband oxy tuned for 16.5:1 ARF @ cruise would be FAR FAR more fuel efficient than a sequential setup that only uses narrow band and runs at 14.7:1 AFR.

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:03 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF XR8

NSW, Australia

unclewoja wrote:
Pft. $2500. You gotta be kidding.

I've done some investigating and I can get V8, car, 5spd box (and put heavier duty bearings in it before it goes in), progressive rate suspension and maybe even a Megasquirt with Wideband oxy all for around the $8000 mark.

How can you say $2500 for a 5spd box when they've been advertised on this very forum for $500?

You do know the 6cyl t5's are different to the v8 t5's.

Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED V8

WA, Australia

If you are planning on picking up a T5 for $500 then I would suggest you are talking about an old EA T5 or similar. Be prepared for a new input shaft and buy a compass and take it to the dentist. (Bearings and teeth??)lol. Cos I reckon that the box you buy for that money will be an absolute P.O.S.!!!!!

Make sure as well that the motor you are pricing has all the ancillaries, ie coil packs, PS pump, alternator, A/C comp etc as a lot of them don't and they cost big dollars by themselves. The AU pump which you may get MAY not be compatible with the EF/EL rack (apparently don't work with EB/ED) and the A/C comp (if V8 is out of fairmont or higher series) will be variable stage application and probably won't work with the EF/EL electrics! Bear in mind as well that (I think) the serpentine drive on the AU's is different to the EF/EL's and the different ancillaries dont play together due to belt location etc.

I reckon you are a brave (I think brave is the right word??) bloke doing the conversion when V8 EF/EL's are so readily available. But just be aware of the pitfalls and don't expect that your costing sums will work out right. Add murphy's 35% and you will probably not be far off!

Good luck anyway!

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:15 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Fairmont

VIC, Australia

philaddis wrote:
If you are planning on picking up a T5 for $500 then I would suggest you are talking about an old EA T5 or similar. Be prepared for a new input shaft and buy a compass and take it to the dentist. (Bearings and teeth??)lol. Cos I reckon that the box you buy for that money will be an absolute P.O.S.!!!!!

Make sure as well that the motor you are pricing has all the ancillaries, ie coil packs, PS pump, alternator, A/C comp etc as a lot of them don't and they cost big dollars by themselves. The AU pump which you may get MAY not be compatible with the EF/EL rack (apparently don't work with EB/ED) and the A/C comp (if V8 is out of fairmont or higher series) will be variable stage application and probably won't work with the EF/EL electrics! Bear in mind as well that (I think) the serpentine drive on the AU's is different to the EF/EL's and the different ancillaries dont play together due to belt location etc.

I reckon you are a brave (I think brave is the right word??) bloke doing the conversion when V8 EF/EL's are so readily available. But just be aware of the pitfalls and don't expect that your costing sums will work out right. Add murphy's 35% and you will probably not be far off!

Good luck anyway!

All these points you mention above are indeed valid phil and this is the exact reason why I want a donor car that meets my cars exact specifications. I can't be bothered stuffing around to discover what works with what from what model Fairmont... all I want is plug and play. As they say.. keep it simple stupid

V8 Windsor here we come.....

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: BA Ford Fairlane V8

NSW, Australia

I've done a T5 conversion on my fairmont V8 wagon. It's out of a six and yes there was a bit of stuffing around. No probs though but the main thing now is that having a 5 speed has changed the car in the way it accelerates and the control you have. My fuel bill has dropped also.

Interested in a fair go for the Hunter-New England area of NSW?

Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:08 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF XR8

NSW, Australia

banarcus wrote:
I've done a T5 conversion on my fairmont V8 wagon. It's out of a six and yes there was a bit of stuffing around. No probs though but the main thing now is that having a 5 speed has changed the car in the way it accelerates and the control you have. My fuel bill has dropped also.

What did you do to modify the input shaft?

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Theres a mob in Sydney that ended up modifying it. They are called the gearbox factory and they basically did a cut and shut - lengthened it. They do a decent job too as its all been heat treated and crack tested, xrayed etc. I listened to all the BS that was flying around when putting in a I6 T5 into a V8. In the end, I HAD to do it. No dramas at all. The best thing I've ever done.

Bellhousing and flywheel + the clutch fork from the cranky old git at Dellows. EBGT clutch, new clutch cablea and a trip to the wreckers for the box, gearstick boot and a pedal box + a new knob all up for about $2300.

Post subject: I6 T5 into V8 5.0L
Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 31 images

Ride: G6E TURBO

NSW, Australia

well this is a 1st.
As i was told also it cant be done.
can it be any T5 box or does it have to be FORD as me mate has one for a VL turbo I wouldnt mind gettin.
Do you have change the auto computer to manual? or by pass it?
what about the dash will it still work like speedo & tacho?

MEMBER 1390

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Cant comment on the VL T5 as it might have a different pattern to the bellhousing. The ECU must either be swapped for a manual one or the existing ECU can be "tricked"(cheers 4.9 futura). This only goes for the V8 as its got the separate TCM. Dash was never touched the the little gear cog for the speedo in the gearbox was swapped with the one from my old auto.

If you're coming to the Bathurst cruise on the 29th, I can show you everthing.

Post subject: Re: I6 T5 into V8 5.0L
Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA XR8, XD Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

Ben_Daui wrote:
well this is a 1st.
As i was told also it cant be done.
can it be any T5 box or does it have to be FORD as me mate has one for a VL turbo I wouldnt mind gettin.
Do you have change the auto computer to manual? or by pass it?
what about the dash will it still work like speedo & tacho?

VL turbo doesnt use a T5 they use a box of there own.

you can use a 6cyl box if you buy the bellhousing to suit but after all the stuffing around you could have just bought a 5 speed conversion from a V8

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2