Conversion V6 to V8 ( auto ) Falcon EL 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Conversion V6 to V8 ( auto ) Falcon EL
Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:24 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Falcon EL,

QLD, Australia

Well finally here i am a converted ford man,

Guys i am wanting to know if a EL xr8 motor will fit straight into it and what needs changing.

cheers, Corey

Post subject: Re: Conversion V6 to V8 ( auto ) Falcon EL
Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Fit straight in? Not without a lot of v8 bits swapped into the i6 car. Easiest to get a complete car from the auctions as an organ donor.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:02 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Falcon EL,

QLD, Australia

Thanks bud.

Is there any other tricks you might know..

Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Power: 327 rwkw

WA, Australia

Don't mean to be mean.....
But if you think your changing a V6 (in your falcon) to a V8 then you'll need alot more help then some advice from here :lol:

Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 98 NL, 97NL, 98EL

Power: 141 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Best of selling the I6 and getting a V8

But I believe one of the mods on here Waggin has converted a I6 EB? i think it was too V8, have a chat to him ..

Laticia.

BANNED!!!!

Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

Johnny C wrote:
Don't mean to be mean.....
But if you think your changing a V6 (in your falcon) to a V8 then you'll need alot more help then some advice from here :lol:

agreed, I'd start with some basics first, e.g. work out what motor your actually running before you try to change it. :lol:

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

There are a number of threads on here about converting from I6 to V8 with a lot of successes and they will come up easily if you use the search feature above.
One member "ovo616" did it himself and he has a very healthy 200rwkw+ at the moment.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Vic wrote:
There are a number of threads on here about converting from I6 to V8 with a lot of successes and they will come up easily if you use the search feature above.
One member "ovo616" did it himself and he has a very healthy 200rwkw+ at the moment.

A good point, but the OP should also look at hotting the 6cyl up, might be cheaper & easier to get 200rwkw from the 6 than doing a v8 swap & then power upgrades....

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: BA MKII Fairlane GHIA

VIC, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
Vic wrote:

A good point, but the OP should also look at hotting the 6cyl up, might be cheaper & easier to get 200rwkw from the 6 than doing a v8 swap & then power upgrades....

Cheers

ToranaGuy

i do not at all agree with that seemings there is only 1 i6 in australia that has 200rwkw and wasnt cheap
unless we are talking TURBO :D :D

Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Kenay wrote:
ToranaGuy wrote:
Vic wrote:

Cheers

ToranaGuy

i do not at all agree with that seemings there is only 1 i6 in australia that has 200rwkw and wasnt cheap

I wasn't so much talking turbo as thinking it ;-) , but if you already have the 6, what would 200rwkw cost compared to buying & converting to a v8, then working it to get 200rwkw? They are only 165kw at the flywheel from the factory, unless you get a factory hotted up v8, even they are not all that much more, and a fair way off 200rwkw....

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Blue and White Mercedes

NSW, Australia

FORDified wrote:
Well finally here i am a converted ford man,

Guys i am wanting to know if a EL xr8 motor will fit straight into it and what needs changing.

cheers, Corey

I have recently done the conversion. It will fit, but there is a fair bit of work involved.

The K frame on the EF-EL is the same between the 6 and the 8. If you have the round (oil filled) engine mounts, they can be used as well. The plate on top of the round mounts is different. The other difference is the bracket that links the round part of the mount to the K frame on the passenger side.

You will need the ECU loom that runs from the ECU to the engine. To replacce this, the heater box needs to come out - meaning the dash has to come out too.

If running an auto, the TCM wiring and module will also need to be added.

As you are running an EL, all of the parts will need to be sourced from an EF-EL. There are too many wiring differences between the EB-ED and the EF-EL. I learnt this the hard way - as my donor car was an EB.

As stated, for the cost and hassle, you are better off hunting down a car that is already a 5L. There is a lot of screwing around. If you are really up for it, then you can hunt for a 5L donor car. Don't just buy it piece by piece, as you will spend way too much.
I bought a wrecked EB 5L donor car for $2100, and then spent over a grand for the EF-EL specific parts to get the motor into my EL.

Looking back, I should have sold my EL, and bought one that was already a V8. The only advantage is that I know what has been done to the motor, and I have the satisfaction of knowing that it is something that I achieved It took 2 of us (as in myself and a mate) 4 days to complete the conversion - as most of the time was working out the differences in all the wiring between the EB and the EL - even though the motor itself is the same.

Another tip if you plan to attack such a job - invest in the genuine workshop manuals - they saved us a LOT of time with working out the electrical side of things 8-)

Remember kids, the more pages of crap in your build thread, the bigger your e-penis is

Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: BA MKII Fairlane GHIA

VIC, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
Kenay wrote:
ToranaGuy wrote:
Vic wrote:

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I wasn't so much talking turbo as thinking it ;-) , but if you already have the 6, what would 200rwkw cost compared to buying & converting to a v8, then working it to get 200rwkw? They are only 165kw at the flywheel from the factory, unless you get a factory hotted up v8, even they are not all that much more, and a fair way off 200rwkw....

Cheers

ToranaGuy

at the motor kw is totally different to at the wheels, as for price i couldnt tell you but maybe ask the guy that just made the fastest run down the quarter in a Na 6

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]