Fordmods Logo

Help!! Slow Cranking on the EB XR8 

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: Help!! Slow Cranking on the EB XR8
Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:16 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: ED GHIA V8

NSW, Australia

Got a new battery in today as it would only start with a battery pack for the last week. Starter motor really kicks over fast now. Still have to bash around handbreak but no more slow turning starter. Had a bad cell in my battery. (wont get wet in the rain now with battery pack :oops: )

Black ED Ghia
V8 with lpg
Full leather
waitng on sunroof..

Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

Glad to hear its working - I had similar probs about 2 months ago and was about to get a new battery, and I got told about this stuff called Inox. Now I have no faith in snake oil bullshyt cures but it was $9 and I was going to be dropping around $160 on a new heavy duty battery so I thought what the hell, give it a shot...my battery was at the click click, won't hold a charge stage anyway...so I put this stuff in, gave it a charge and F**k me I've never heard the starter spin so fast..anyway, it has been absolutely fine ever since. Other day the kids were listening to the radio in the car and left it on for 2 hours and I thought oh well, there goes the battery - no worries, started fine...

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 2021 Amarok V6

SA, Australia

jaysway wrote:
iv just had a very similar problem with an eb v8 that has 261k kms on it, slow cranking then sometimes no cranking at all, alternator and battery tested fine.

removed the starter motor and tested on the bench to find it was getting jammed up.
disassembled starter motor to find the internals full of s**t and 2 of the 4 brushes getting low.
cleaned the brush pack with gunwash and an air blower.
"adjusted" the 2 low brushes by stretching the springs out slightly.
greased the starter gear, reassembled starter motor and is now starting like new.

my only problem is 2 of the 4 brushes are low..

does anyone know where i can buy the brush pack for the eb v8 motorcraft starter motor?
either from a reputable site in the US or somewhere here in Aus?

cheers guys

ive got the same problem, brushes getting low... mines the original starter afaik and has 255k on it.

so can we get a brush pack? :D

2021 V6 Manual Amarok - 245kw/750nm - many goodies
1997 EL Fairmont Ghia 4.0 - Heritage Green & Cappa
2010 Suzuki GSX650F - when I want to be silly

Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

alfy wrote:
jaysway wrote:
iv just had a very similar problem with an eb v8 that has 261k kms on it, slow cranking then sometimes no cranking at all, alternator and battery tested fine.

removed the starter motor and tested on the bench to find it was getting jammed up.
disassembled starter motor to find the internals full of s**t and 2 of the 4 brushes getting low.
cleaned the brush pack with gunwash and an air blower.
"adjusted" the 2 low brushes by stretching the springs out slightly.
greased the starter gear, reassembled starter motor and is now starting like new.

my only problem is 2 of the 4 brushes are low..

does anyone know where i can buy the brush pack for the eb v8 motorcraft starter motor?
either from a reputable site in the US or somewhere here in Aus?

cheers guys

ive got the same problem, brushes getting low... mines the original starter afaik and has 255k on it.

so can we get a brush pack? :D

i found a complete brush set which included the holder from an ebay seller "starterimporter" i didnt buy off the net i went to his shop in thomastown, paid $19 bucks, i havent installed it yet as my repair job described above is still running fine.

cheers

Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:32 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 1996 NF ford fairlane v8

VIC, Australia

I like you had the same issue and my starter has a lot of trub engagin when its hot. the other day i was fixing my TPS as it was sitting at 65v. with that fixed i turned to setting my base idle as its been running ruff. both the terminals had problem with the nuts and bolts that tighten the clamp onto the post (6 month old narva top tof the range). Positive terminal has had corrostion on it every now and then but centery battery is only 6 months as well. The cables running into the pos terminal did not contact properly as i found and after cleaning the terminal, strip cable down again so it was fresh and put it back together so all contacted properly it starts without any issues at all. it cranks over faster than it ever has, new battery included.

give it a try.... new battery clamps, clean up or replace attached cables and make sure the fluids are at the right levels
hope this helps

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2