Nc steering question 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Nc steering question
Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

About 2 months ago I went from Griffith to Blackheath to look at a rental ( about 700km's). On the way home I noticed the steering was a bit heavy to the right, then it would free up and be fine. At that time I thought it was because I had the car looked at by Blue Mountains Fuel Injection because the lights were not working, and Brad ( great mechanic) had taken the rag I had stuffed between the battery and the battery brace and left it on the top of the battery, and when I left being in such a rush, forgot to put it back and maybe it had got caught up in the rack somehow. The problem is that it still is apparent, mainly when its cold or if its been on a hwy for a long time with little movement in the steering. I am uncertain of the cause........ the rack on visual inspection looks fine, the p/s pump seems to be opperating normally, the bushes are good, and there does not seem to be any problem with the whole steering that I can see. There is no free play in the steering either. The only thing I can see is with the big tow I did about 2 weeks ago, the front bearings have lost a little grease ( too much heat), but I plan on repacking ( if they are ok) the front bearings in the next week or two. Is there some grease nipples on the front end that might need a bit of a top up?

Post subject: Re: Nc steering question
Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:28 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: FG MK2 XR6T

NSW, Australia

Get in your drivers footwell and put a few drops of general oil in the bearing where the shaft travels through the firewall.

I had a similar problem on my EB2 where it would "bind up" abit which created the feeling you describe of it being heavy and then freeing up and this was the issue.

Formerly LV XR5 Turbo, AU Fairmont Ghia V8 & EBII Fairmont I6.

Now......
Feb 2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual
- Luxury Pack

Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

good idea, thanks for that. Had me worried though cos the sparky at work was saying something the other day about some of these cars having to be recalled due to the column collapsing ( dont know if its true) and I was waiting for the steering to go completley. Will hit it with some grease tonight

Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:07 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: FG MK2 XR6T

NSW, Australia

Mine hasn't collapsed yet and I certainly hope it doesn't!! :shock: Put the oil in mine over 2.5yrs ago now and hasn't caused me an issue since.

Did it work for you?

Formerly LV XR5 Turbo, AU Fairmont Ghia V8 & EBII Fairmont I6.

Now......
Feb 2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual
- Luxury Pack

Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

ran out of grease.... got to go down to Penrith tomorrow to get some stuff to service the Fagna, so will get some then. I also thought seeing I have a size 13 foot I prob was putting dirt up there too, so your right I reckon. Will let you know how I go tomorrow

Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

did it today....... straight away problem resolved. Good thinking man. Thanks for that

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]