Regrind Cams 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Regrind Cams
Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:01 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: XR6 Turbo, EF 5.0L V8 Turbo

VIC, Australia

Just wondering about a regrind cam in a windsor, from wade or similar.. are they any good? do many people use them or am i better off with a new cam? this project is on a budget so just looking at cheaper options..

EF V8T 11.54 @118mph

Post subject: Re: Regrind Cams
Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

VIC, Australia

regrind will always be cheaper than a billet version. from what i understand from different sources is that you will gain a marginally more torque from a regrind due to the smaller base circle, but i could be wrong with that.

i recently purchased a crow regrind which i installed into my ef xr8 but am yet to see how it performs as i still need to organise an exhaust and tune

hope this helps

Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:33 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

hmm ok, so anyone else using one? i know alot of people use them in the 6's with good results.. so i guess they're ok for the old 5 0?

EF V8T 11.54 @118mph

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lots, all Fords

New Zealand

If it is a 5.0 hydraulic roller cam you are getting re-ground it's a reasonable idea. Crow cams did it for the Tickford AU2&3 200kW & 220kW XR8 engines. They started with a stock Explorer hydraulic roller cam. I use re-ground hydraulic roller cams in my 5.0's I build. But you can't take too much meat off the base circle or you will have no lifter pre-load unless your pushrods are replaced with longer units. Limit it to 1.10mm maximum base circle reduction with stock pushrods. The way I keep everything nice is to remove half the base circle reduction from the rocker arm pedistal which counters the pre-load problem while still maintaining reasonable rocker geometery.

If it is a flat tappet camshaft, don't bother. The hardening is only on the surface. A re-grind can go right through the hardened layer into the soft cast iron.

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:25 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Yeah its an EF 5.slo
Interesting about the tickford cams, as i have a 200kw cam in the shed and the car has a stock cam in it.. so if i get it reground i will be better off using the stocker. i compaired the pushrods of each engine and they seem to be the same length, so i assume tickford didn't get much groud off them?
Wouldn't it be just as easy to get longer pushrods than having to get machine work done to the rocker pedistals??

EF V8T 11.54 @118mph

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]