Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: NL V8 Temperture Gauge
Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:08 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: NL Fairlane V8

NSW, Australia

Hi guys,

A quick q... I'm interested in EF EL / NF NL temperture gauges and how they work? My NL gauge reads between the A and L in the NORMAL area when cruising around.

In heavy traffic or a slow down in traffic, the coolant seems to get warm very quickly, probably over a minute or so, and the gauge reads at the R, basically sitting there with the fans kicking in and out... I have replaced the radiator, hoses and thermostat, which were all getting on, but has not made a difference. Could it be another faulty thermostat or that the engine block needs a really good flush out? Or it's possible this is how the V8 Windsor runs?

Also more noticeable when cold, but even so when warm still, I have a hesitation and stutter on petrol... Could possibly be due to the reading of the coolant? I have been running Premium 95 with the odd fuel injector cleaner too... Along with a replaced fuel filter...
Or maybe the fuel pressure is wrong? Could it be the fuel pump?

Anyhow, these are on the agenda... I'm having the diff overhauled shortly as the Lane sounds like a taxi!! :oops:

Look forward to your responses. Cheers!!

'98 NL Fairlane Ghia 5.0l

Post subject: Re: NL V8 Temperture Gauge
Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:32 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EFII Fairmont XR8

TAS, Australia

Know this isn't much help but anyway,

Never seen my windsor that high. Usually sits around O and R and max at M. It seemed to run a little cooler/take longer to reach operating temperature after a good flush, so i'd suggest that.

If that doesn't help maybe a new thermostat. Maybe one that opens at a cooler temperature? Sure someone else can elaborate.

Cheers.

Edit just noticed you changed the thermo so disregard.

With the fuel problem - try an ECU reset. The higher octane *may* be making things worse as the ECU needs to adapt to the higher octane. Unplug the battery overnight and she how she goes.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]