Fordmods Logo

1995 Ford Fairmont v8 Station Wagon - Electrical Problem 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: 1995 Ford Fairmont v8 Station Wagon - Electrical Problem
Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:15 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Fairmont

New Zealand

I am having a problem with my fairmont, A week ago i noticed the fuse for the cigerette lighter had melted. I have a 3 plug lighter thing plugged in before, running a gps and radar detector off it. I changed the fuse and have only had the radar detector plugged in. Slowly it is getting harder to start the car and i now have to turn the key and wait for it to kick over. When i do one turn on the ignition the cigerette lighter, electric windows, radio, wipers go but when the motor is running none of these run. On the fuse box on the right of the steering wheel these things fuses are all on the lowest row. So pretty much when the car is running nothing on the lower level of fuses is running. Any help will be appreciated. cheers

Post subject: Re: 1995 Ford Fairmont v8 Station Wagon - Electrical Problem
Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Sounds like a random problem lol. From your 3 way splitter, it sounds like you drew too much current which is what blew(melted) the fuse. Does the starter motor turn the car over like normal or is it a bit slower? Have you checked the fuses in fused link box in the engine bay?

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Post subject: Re: 1995 Ford Fairmont v8 Station Wagon - Electrical Problem
Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:58 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Fairmont

New Zealand

One Drone wrote:
Sounds like a random problem lol. From your 3 way splitter, it sounds like you drew too much current which is what blew(melted) the fuse. Does the starter motor turn the car over like normal or is it a bit slower? Have you checked the fuses in fused link box in the engine bay?

Thanks for your feedback. I ended up taking it to an electrian and he found the ignition switch needed replacing. I got another one and he installed it and now the car is running sweet again. He reackoned having the radar detector and gps hooked up shouldn't have caused the problem and could understand why the fuse melted. I will just have to keep an eye on it. Cheers

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]