My EL XR8 Upgrade 

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL XR8, '08 Mondeo XR5t

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

On the subject of the maf, IMO you'll probably find you'd be better off sticking with the AU one. If you were able to check, you'd probably find you'd be peaking it somewhere around 4.5 - 4.8v which is ideal as your tune would be pretty much using the full maf curve. If you used the 80mm maf, you'd more than likely find it would peak at not much more than 4v, which means you've got 20% of your maf transfer function going to waste.

I bought a Pro M 75mm maf and ended up going back to the AU one because of this. At full noise with my application, the AU maf won't peak above 4.6v, while I think the Pro M peaked at 4.1 or 4.2v.

Also, as Pete said, make sure they use the EL GT injector slopes and not using the formula a lot of people recommend where you use your injector size for the high slope and injector size multiplied by 1.15 or 1.2 for your low slope.

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:47 am 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EL XR8

QLD, Australia

Tom Davey wrote:
Make s**t up? Whats a `Ford advertised tuner`? Cool guy who can do burnouts with credit cards? Too many warranty handballs to the dealer eh? Diffs, gearboxes,tailshafts,pistons, turbos,cranks,valve springs, `Ford make s**t cars.`is the spiel from the owners. You guys have a lot to answer for. Im sorry but some of the modded s**t from `Ford Tuners` kills em. And Ford Australia pays for it. Which means so does the taxpayer.

Is that directed at someone!? If at me you should check the model of my car dude! 1997 EL XR8! No warranty on that! BUt if you were talking about some joker with like a BA or BF then yes.... although I don't see what this has to do with this thread??

XR9UTE wrote:
Don't worry, I was just taking the piss out of myself...you didn't offend me :D
Ok that'll be a Marauder MAF.. Ive got a transfer function for one of those if your tuner guy needs it.

I know what Tom is saying and I agree completely! Unfortunately it's the times we live in...everybody blames someone else for something they have done. Conscience is not in most peoples' vocabulary these days!

Ok....hahaha

Well I talked to I think Terry at BPT yesterday and also to Leigh at SVS(My Tuner). Leigh just modified the original MAF transfer not knowing about just using a different one. So yeah hopefully this is the only problem. I gave him BPT's number and he said he would talk to them and then arrange another time to play with my car again!

Hopefully I might get to the 280RWHP mark which would awesome!

I would also like to know what fuel pressure regs people have been using? I saw it in someone elses thread but I can't find it again!
Thanks for your help people!

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:05 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Scaffy wrote:
On the subject of the maf, IMO you'll probably find you'd be better off sticking with the AU one. If you were able to check, you'd probably find you'd be peaking it somewhere around 4.5 - 4.8v which is ideal as your tune would be pretty much using the full maf curve. If you used the 80mm maf, you'd more than likely find it would peak at not much more than 4v, which means you've got 20% of your maf transfer function going to waste.

I bought a Pro M 75mm maf and ended up going back to the AU one because of this. At full noise with my application, the AU maf won't peak above 4.6v, while I think the Pro M peaked at 4.1 or 4.2v.

Also, as Pete said, make sure they use the EL GT injector slopes and not using the formula a lot of people recommend where you use your injector size for the high slope and injector size multiplied by 1.15 or 1.2 for your low slope.

what difference will that peak voltage affect?

And also what does that Trickflow top end kit you have on your car consist of? if you dont mind me asking.

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

ALIENATE wrote:
what difference will that peak voltage affect?

And also what does that Trickflow top end kit you have on your car consist of? if you dont mind me asking.

In the maf transfer function, it is plotted out from 0 - 5v, converted to kg/hr. The way I see it, by utilising as much of the transfer function as you can, it allows for greater fine tuning. Especially if, like in my situation, initially it's quite rich up top and lean down the bottom. Having those few extra points to adjust makes quite a difference. If your tuner ends up getting the 80mm spot on, then I guess at the end of the day you won't notice a difference.

The top end kit I have is a heads, cam and intake combo. Here's the link to everything that comes with it. I've also got 70mm TB and 24lb injectors

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... 0B&FROM=MG

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

Post subject: Re: My EL XR8 Upgrade
Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:23 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

OK fella's I need some help.

They started tuning with the 80mm MAF and during this my computer has died!!

Now this what I was told has happened.
It was Idling on the dyno and stalled. The engine wouldn't restart. It still had spark(apparently) but no injector pulse. Originally they thought it may have been the TFI Module as it controls the injectors on start up(so they tell me). But after closer inspection a day or so later from a Auto Electrian, it was deemed the computer due to it heating up bad. The computer was sent away and I was told the 'EPROM' is stuffed in it.
Ok is it possible they have stuffed up some paramters in the tune?

Even if you can arm me with some questions to ask I would greatly appreciate it. As I do not want to pay for a new computer if it is the Tuners ERROR that cause the the failure of the 'EPROM'.

Thanks
Jimmy

Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I can't think of a way that they could damage the internals of your ECU with any of the tuning settings. Anything they change will alter information, not cause anything to burn out.

You should be able to pick up a second hand ecu for bugger all from the wreckers. Unfortunately, in that game, even if they did do something wrong it would be very hard to prove, as I'm unsure they'd admit to it. It'd be your word against theirs and they're "experts".

Don't mistake this as having a go at your tuners as I don't even know who they are. Just making a statement.

I don't know if you found a fix for your original problem or not, but see if there's a time delay for switching between part throttle to wide open throttle. Standard setting is 2 seconds and you can drop that down to .5 sec. I found this to help with the problem for me.

Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

anything is possible, but yeah the coincidence of the ECU s**t itself while they were playing with it makes you think....

Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:40 am 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

yeah Scaffy I understand. The problem is there was nothing wrong with it when it went in. Yes it would be hard to prove. I'm not much of a second hand guy. If I can get it new I usually will.

And as I have no idea about tuning it is hard to suggest.

The other thing is what happens when we put the new computer in? They couldn't diagnose what caused the computer to die.

Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Give Ford a quick buzz and see how much a brand new EEC will set you back. For probably 300 bucks you should be able to find a 6dfd or 6dfc or any other eec that's compatible with your tuning hardware, 2nd hand.

I couldn't even begin to think what could have caused it apart from them pulling the chip out of the J3 port with the power still on. Otherwise it probably just died, as s**t does from time to time.

XR9UTE would be the man to talk to, but I haven't seen him on here for a while now. May be just lurking in the shadows...

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:32 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

OK so after all the problems I incurred with so called 'Professional' tuners/workshops, my white
b!tch lives again. The standard ECU and SCT chip dumped in favour of a Vipec V88. It now runs like a dream and has a MAFless tune. It also now has a 3.45 ratio diff cause the old one sorta ate itself! My bad. Along with the computer it also got some new spring and shocks in the form of 'ultra lows' which look good but I think super lows would have been more practical. Red stripes(well they were really pink by the end) have all been replaced with black ones. Along with this new rims and tyres were purchased, 19x8.5 fronts with 245/35R19 Dunlop Sport MaxxTT and 19x9.5 rears wrapped with 275/30R19 Dunlop Sport Maxx.

Here's a few pic's

Attachment:
IMG_0141.JPG
IMG_0141.JPG [ 251.74 KiB | Viewed 221 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0142.JPG
IMG_0142.JPG [ 226.76 KiB | Viewed 211 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0144.JPG
IMG_0144.JPG [ 225.7 KiB | Viewed 187 times ]

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Vipec V88 is machine ECU!!!!

Put back on the factory bar with the little spoiler or Typhoon F6 bar

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:02 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

What's wrong with me ECU and front bar?

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:40 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: xr8 no.3 Au3 Ute

QLD, Australia

ur front bar is just screaming for an intercooler hehe :twisted:

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

ALIENATE wrote:
What's wrong with me ECU and front bar?

Carnt fault the ecu and i think its the best ecu as it has the same features as motec M800 for half the price but the bar dosent do it for me.

I prefer stock kit or F6 typhoon looks decent...................

Ur XR8 is screaming for a stroker engine now u know hahahaha

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:07 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EF XR8

NSW, Australia

Nice Work Alienate. I think it looks trick

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2