Fordmods Logo

windsor manifolds 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: windsor manifolds
Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:44 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

I realise that the 302 windsor was developed by Aussie for the Falcon and in the US for the Mustang, BUT, was there ever an injected 351w mass produced for either. This could be a really stupid question, i am aware of the clevelands etc, but not quite a train spotter on the windsors yet.
I am asking as I have a 351m-400 and am always thinking of increasing it's power/reliability/ economy(?) for when I ever come into some money. There is a bucket load of injected stuff out there for windors especially the US, and there is an out fit that makes adapters to the 351w manifold, hence the question. Any help?

Post subject: Re: windsor manifolds
Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: XH Ute / AU3 V8 Wagon

QLD, Australia

F-trucks had the EFI 351w, for quite a few years. But a 351w intake wont fit on your 400 with out a LOT of work, and I have heard the adaptors can give problems. If you really want EFI, think about the Edelbrock or Holley EFI setups that use a normal 4 barrel style intake manifold. Easier to do, looks standard, original air cleaner fits (if reqd) and goes well, and good economy. Not cheap though, but simple to fit.
If you can get hold of all the efi stuff off a 5.0 or a 5.8, you may be able to utilise most of it, but you would need to know what your doing..

Good luck. 8-)

Yes, I own a Ute. No, I won't help you move!

EL Wagon Build Thread http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sooty72-s-ef-futura-wagon-long-term-project-t90025.html
XH Ute Thread http://www.fordmods.com/post1138970.html#p1138970

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Check my build thread.
I am using a 94 351W roller block. Everything but the intake and exhaust was a bolt on job from the 5.0. I did use new instead of recycling my 5.0 stuff and just ordered it as if i was ordering for a 5.0
Hell i even used the same grind 5.0 cam as my 5.0 had. Edelbrock, Holley and Trickflow all do 351W EFI manifolds, but as can be seen in my thread, some are a lot taller when fitted to a 5.8 than a 5.0

Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:57 am 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

You wouldn't want to use a std truck 5.8EFI intake as the ports are just too small for a cleveland head.

You could get one of these(coming out Jan 11' I believe).
http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl= ... 29,r:0,s:0
It's a TFS-R intake for clevelands. Now obviously it's too narrow(9.2" deck) for your 400(10.2" deck) but with spacers it will work. You can either use the std. top or the Box upper which will be very tall.
The lowest cost option would be to use 5.0 Falcon EECIV. Plumb your existing manifold for injectors...I assume you at least have an aftermarket ally job? Use an Elbow on top of the carb flange to allow mounting an Ford EFI type T-body and use a 460 TFI distributor.

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:46 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Thanks Guys. Outstanding advice as usual. it is the curse of the 400 that while it is a cleveland of sorts, none of the good intake work is readily available. i have a Holley low rise street dom on it now that would be a primo candidate for swapping some fuel rails over onto it, although that was why i was asking if there was a direct bolt on (with adapters) with everything already on it. with these change overs, do i need a crank angle sensor or is it more old school?

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:11 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

The answer is in my post.

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:29 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

I assume you are referring to the TFI 460 distributor. I am sorry if i didn't get it at first glance but I am relatively new at this and will readily admit that I don't always know what every one is talking about. Just to be a pain, what is the story with the above mentioned dizzy?

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:48 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

No worries, one of these distributors will drop straight in. If not a 5.8 TFI dizzy will fit if you change to a cleveland gear. No crank encoder needed.

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

You have me thinking now. I am in the process of updating the ignition on my engine and replacing the original points dizzy on it as money allows. Would there be any benefit in trying to fit one of these as a standalone until later, saving me buying a dizzy twice and blowing cash? Or are they too hard to modify or just need too many other fiddlies to be a cost saver? I don't want to seem like i'm hijacking my own thread, but it is probably quite relevant considering what I want to do in the future. I was thinking of trying to fit a system with a lot of coil packs like the later fords to get a good punchy spark, but thought I may need something with a crank angle sensor. If the TFI type could be adapted to suit this, it may be (but probably isn't) cheaper, but would be definitely be more old school in using later gear on an old engine to make it better. Again please excuse me for my ignorance. I have been a fitter/turner/welder and machinery fitter in the u/g coal mines and supporting industry for over 20 odd years, and can quite happily rebuild most big chunky things especially if I have a manual, but I am new to the automotive side. This is my first V8. I appreciate your patience. Deep breaths usually works.

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:08 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Yes you can and I did just that with my EFI 351C conversion before I had actually made the intake manifold. The TFI-IV distributor only supplies crank angle and distributes spark, it does not control spark advance, the EEC does.
You have a few choices....
I used a jaycar programmable ignition kit to control it which wasn't quite straight forward but never-the-less I did achieve it.
Or If you are going to use an MSD type ignition you may be able to achieve a similar result with less work and then maintain it's use when the EEC gains control by using a programmable version of one these type ignitions.
You could also run the EEC and just use it to control spark...but you'll have to plumb the MAF in place for your carb to draw through so the EEC can calculate load.

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:27 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

starting to get complicated, but i am slowly getting my head around it. Thanks for that.

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:55 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Is the TFV IV dizzy adaptable with multiple coils?

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:11 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

No. An MSD will give you results just as good anyway.

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:18 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EB XR8

QLD, Australia

crsmith wrote:
Thanks Guys. Outstanding advice as usual. it is the curse of the 400 that while it is a cleveland of sorts, none of the good intake work is readily available. i have a Holley low rise street dom on it now that would be a primo candidate for swapping some fuel rails over onto it, although that was why i was asking if there was a direct bolt on (with adapters) with everything already on it. with these change overs, do i need a crank angle sensor or is it more old school?

chi and jon kaase racing have done fantastic things with the 400m, so much so that they have won the Engine Master comp 3 years in a row. Google is your friend

New project 5.4l 331ci S380R, 8.2 4.125 Man o war, Billet LAE crank, Jon Kaase Heads, Pauter Rods, JE pistons

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:00 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

xr8boy wrote:
chi and jon kaase racing have done fantastic things with the 400m, so much so that they have won the Engine Master comp 3 years in a row. Google is your friend

Unfortunately the CHI heads and intake are not a cost effective option for an easy EFI conversion for crsmith' Galaxie. Besides the intake alone would go through bonnet.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]