Fordmods Logo

Mach 2 Turbo kit??? (EBAY) 

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Mach 2 Turbo kit??? (EBAY)
Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:05 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 2002 Au Ford Falcon Ute

QLD, Australia

Hey,

I found this on ebay... anyone know much about these kits?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ford-Falcon-Mach ... 27b822b82d

Post subject: Re: Mach 2 Turbo kit??? (EBAY)
Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:26 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

looks great if you want to be under the bonnet everyday.

meaning - you'll be forever chasing detonation unless you have a good programmable fuel management installed.

Then you might get a few smiles for a couple of days!

not bad for the price tho i guess?

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:29 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I personally wouldn't buy it. Wonder if you can just use the pipe work and get a better turbo and aftermarket fuel management (even if it's a J3).

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF wagon

NSW, Australia

phongus wrote:
I personally wouldn't buy it. Wonder if you can just use the pipe work and get a better turbo and aftermarket fuel management (even if it's a J3).

At that price you could run it till that cheap Turbo blew and then replace with a decent unit. I think for 1800 bucks you would be hard pressed getting the manifolds/cooler/piping etc made up.-looks like good value to me.

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:44 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 2002 Au Ford Falcon Ute

QLD, Australia

So out of the kit, it is just the turbo that is poor quality? and most likely to stuff up?

But what about the rest of it? the manifold is it up to scratch for a better turbo etc?

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef falcon, el fairmont ghia

New Zealand

i was looking at them the yesterday lol, i don't think i'd touch them the welds on the manifold don't look to flash.

you could get everything but the manifold and get a log from snort

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

If you replace the turbo you will likely need to replace the dump pipe, the oil lines, all gaskets.

The gate might be alright but if it fails your up for another $500 or so for a tial gate.

If that happens you're well over the cost of a 6boost kit but instead you have a log manifold.

I know where I'd rather spend my money.

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

One issue I see is no support brace to support the turbo & dump pipe. Only needs to be a simple steel rod that goes from an engine mount bolt up to the flange of the turbo. Would help stop the manifold being stressed & cracking.

Factory turbo systems have them, very few after market systems have them.

Budget another $1000 to $1500 for a J3, larger injectors, bigger fuel pump & a quick tune and that's not a bad budget system.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

Turbo sits way back in the bay, will melt boosters. I agree with dansedgli though, not to mention cheap crappy turbo's like that are known to fail.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:48 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Troy wrote:
i was looking at them the yesterday lol, i don't think i'd touch them the welds on the manifold don't look to flash.

you could get everything but the manifold and get a log from snort

Can always clean it up a little if you can weld...if not cut it off and get someone to weld it back on better? Not sure if that would make it any cheaper though.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:29 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: turbo falcon

SA, Australia

Lol you guys are so judgemental. Dont let unqualified peoples negative opinions put you off whom have never dealt personaly with our products and service. Im no super master welding robot but i have been welding profesionaly for years, its all welded with a 220amp mig, all 5mm thick. All v welded on our jig with plenty of penetration. You wont have any problems with cracking and we back this with a lifetime warranty on all fabricated components! They are not easy to make! Also guys that t3 flange is welded both sides which that pic dosnt show.

Turbo sits back a bit so the heat is kept rearwards and giving room for a decent airfilter with the stock battery tray and position being retained which many people want. With the dumpipe heatwarapped we never came close to melting the efs plastic booster even after many burnout comp events and loads of idling/waiting in lanes, so if i cant melt one you wont either if its wrapped properally.

The t70s in our kits are great value for money, obviously they are not the best turbo money can buy as they are older bush bearing technology but they work very well on our big 4Ls and we have sold/used heaps of these with not one failing to date. We offer a 3month (6months if we do the install) replacment warranty on these.

Not everyone has a 10grand budget to boost their falcon, or want to spend 10grand on aging eseries when xr6ts are becoming affordable now. This is why our kits entered the market, and why they don't cost the earth. If you can fit it yourself, do your own cooler piping etc, use a basic fuel pump and rising 12:1 reg fmu setup with $200 j3 software you can have a basic setup for around $3000. With at minimum 200rwkw thats great bank for buck, people are realising this and we are selling these above our expectations. Were more than happy to take adelaide guys for a spin in our eb with the mach2 if your genuinly interested, its helped us sell a few kits now.

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

turbo_will,

In regards to a brace to support the turbo and or dump pipe, have you seen any issues with the manifold or the turbo cracking due to vibration?

Factory turbo setups have braces on the dump pipes. When they are not hooked back up, the manifolds tend to warp & crack.

Your right that most people don't want to spend $10k on boosting an e-series, but most people don't have that to spend on a e-series even if they wanted to.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:02 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: turbo falcon

SA, Australia

Hi Toranaguy thanks for your response, we havnt had any problems with cracking or stressing on turbo or manifold so we havn't needed bracing. What your saying makes sense and anyone concerned should add their own braces, shouldnt be hard to make up. I remember the old et/exa turbos had a small bar from the turbo flange to the block so maybe something like that may work. I guess hight egts would also be a contributing factor in manifold durability.

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Interesting, thanks for the reply.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:47 am 
Stock as a Rock

TAS, Australia

Have been tempted to give one of these kits a go myself. Will it definatly need a bigger pump and injectors? Was really hoping not to spend too much extra.. already have an aftermarket programable computer so at least that bit is taken care of.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next