NF 5lt Oil Presh Issues 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: NF 5lt Oil Presh Issues
Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:41 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 1996 NF ford fairlane v8

VIC, Australia

Hi guys

Cutting a long saga short i have an NF Fairlane V8 with 430,000K's on the clock. resently spent a crap load of cash trying to freshen her up and ended up with even more head f@#ks! Had to replace the intake mani cos it was porus, water pump, starter, all hoses replaced, termostat n housing, fitted extractors, new O2 sensors, balancer, head n intake gaskets, cats and a few other things i cant remember.

In the prosess of doing this the oil presh has gone almost compleately! the mechanic ended u takin the sump off and cleaned the pick up as it was blocked with gasket crap. oh and there are 2 bolts snaped off in the water pump and i know there was a stud that broke in the left hand head.

starts fine but once it heats up it drops to just over a quarter. it is now using hpr70 (freakin thick) and oil stabiliser and its still no good.

I can see an oil leak from the back of the left hand head and i have changed the oil 3 since dec last year.

no 1- could it have anything to do with that leak at the back of the head?
no 2- could it be the timing cover?
no 3- where is the oil pump conected to
no 4- how am i going to get out of this as cheap as pos cos i have already spent 6.5k on the bucket!

thanks guys any help would be great

Attachments:
File comment: a lota oil leakin from the head gasket?
P3080026.JPG
P3080026.JPG [ 217.58 KiB | Viewed 216 times ]
File comment: oil leak behind the left hand cylinder head
P3080031.JPG
P3080031.JPG [ 284.42 KiB | Viewed 218 times ]
File comment: broken studs in the water pump
P3080024.JPG
P3080024.JPG [ 215.61 KiB | Viewed 199 times ]

Last edited by japcrp on Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: NF 5lt Oil Presh Issues
Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

no.1: if your loosing oil from there then yes this could be a reason your oil is going down
no.2: unless its leakin oil outta ther too then no.
no.3: its internal not exactly sure but it runs along side the oil filter so possible leak ther too.
no.4: wow.. impressive.

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lots, all Fords

New Zealand

Windsors aren't known to have oil pressure problems. I have one here with 620k's on it and it's just fine. I assume you've changed the oil filter? Try putting a mechanical oil pressure gauge on it. The factory sender/wiring/gauge can cause an apparent oil pressure problem. If the low oil pressure problem is confirmed as real then put a new oil pump in it. I've got to ask why your mechanic didn't do this before when he had the sump off to clean the pickup screen, it's only a $50 part and with oil pressure problems already apparent it was foolish to not replace it at the same time. I'd hit him up with this question and see if he'll cut you a deal on the labour cost to fit a new pump.

There are no pressurised oil feeds anywhere near your oil leaks. None of these will be causing the low oil pressure.

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:14 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

xafalcon wrote:
Windsors aren't known to have oil pressure problems. I have one here with 620k's on it and it's just fine. I assume you've changed the oil filter? Try putting a mechanical oil pressure gauge on it. The factory sender/wiring/gauge can cause an apparent oil pressure problem. If the low oil pressure problem is confirmed as real then put a new oil pump in it. I've got to ask why your mechanic didn't do this before when he had the sump off to clean the pickup screen, it's only a $50 part and with oil pressure problems already apparent it was foolish to not replace it at the same time. I'd hit him up with this question and see if he'll cut you a deal on the labour cost to fit a new pump.

There are no pressurised oil feeds anywhere near your oil leaks. None of these will be causing the low oil pressure.

thanks for the healp guys. the guy that did the work was a freind who rebuilds motors for a living? why he didnt change the pump was cos it needed to be sortted after the pick up was blocked and it was after hours. am i kicking myself most def!
i know its not the guage cos i can hear the change when she warms up. i guess my major issue is do i pull the motor out and find out whats wrong with it, try and fix whats wrong with it in car or buy a secondhand low k/reco 5L?

I dont know i just want the freakin thing running right cos its been so long since it has!

oh and yes i have changed the filter every oil change

Last edited by japcrp on Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

if its just the ender unit then it will be fine to run for ages.
if you can hear your motor when its runnning and its not tapping and carrying on like its low on oil it will be fine.
if it is tapping alot it would seem like you need to replace your oil pump.
or stick a xr8 220 in it :)

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:10 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

now added a few picks and noticed the pcv valve that was fitted was loose as? part number on it isev-98 5j12 old one was ev-98 5f02.
does the pcv have anything to do with oil?

hmmm this is freakin pissin me off!!!

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:44 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

PCV valve will not effect oil pressure directly.
Neither will external leaks on the engine unless the oil filter is loose.
If you had crap in the pickup I'd be inspecting the oil pump.
Plus, 70 weight oil with crap in the pickup is probably making the problem worse. ie; if the pump is dodgy and you try to make it drink treacle you won't get oil pressure.
Oil leaks at the back of the engine are usually caused by a leak at the manifold end seal.
As someone else said make sure your oil pressure sender ain't faulty.
If the engine is toast stick a 351 in it. :mrgreen:

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:10 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

XR9UTE wrote:
PCV valve will not effect oil pressure directly.
Neither will external leaks on the engine unless the oil filter is loose.
If you had crap in the pickup I'd be inspecting the oil pump.
Plus, 70 weight oil with crap in the pickup is probably making the problem worse. ie; if the pump is dodgy and you try to make it drink treacle you won't get oil pressure.
Oil leaks at the back of the engine are usually caused by a leak at the manifold end seal.
As someone else said make sure your oil pressure sender ain't faulty.
If the engine is toast stick a 351 in it. :mrgreen:

thanks for the info but with hpr30 i had no pressure at all but i can see ya point.
the leak seems to be comming out of the left hand corner of the head gasket but i will find out more after i start her up in a min. there was a intake stud that had broken and welded itself into the left head.
i really am dreading the coin im about to spend....... again :(

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:16 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

No wuckers dude,
Unfortunately with 430k on that engine it probably would have been wiser to get another engine and just swap or a full rebuild on that engine. Or of course a 351 swap...sorry I can't help myself :mrgreen:

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

i would hav to agree with the 351 swap :P

230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]