Fordmods Logo

is this a good buy? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: is this a good buy?
Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:45 pm 
Stock as a Rock

ACT, Australia

Ford motorsports R302? block(3 splayed caps)(8.2 d/h)
Eagle (347cube) forged bottom end L19 rod bolts
Venolia blower pistons 8.5 to 1
All rings/bearings
Crane hyd roller cam and lifters
Mellings pump
Head stud set
SS bolt set
Copper head gaskets
New timing cover
Rollmaster premium set
Yella Terra platinum shaft mount rockers
AFR225's complete CNC ported, dual springs, etc
Romac dual keyway blower balancer

The rotating assembly has been balanced and the block has preliminary machine work done but would require O-ringing and final hone, then just a total blueprint and assembly. The cam would need to be swapped out for a turbo friendly version. All parts are new in box.

He is asking $12000 and isn't very negotiable, is it worth 12K or less/more????????????? Everything suits my needs apart from the blower camshaft. I don't know whether to pass this up or buy it???

Any thoughts?????????????????????

Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 9:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: F350

QLD, Australia

Its on the money, offer him 11, but its not a bad deal.....

Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 9:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Sounds good..I guess with blower pistons the ring gap is alittle more?Which is what you want....
What length rods..Unfortunately to get good rod angle the pin needs to go through oil control ring...Or top ring is too close to top of piston..The lesser of the two evels..Is longer 5.4" rod...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 10:02 pm 
Stock as a Rock

ACT, Australia

not sure of rod length, the funny thing is that he said that its been balanced to 1/10 of a gram yet the rings arent gapped or even fitted up????

Personally I would have liked to use a world block with more deck height but if I can get this for $10K or less it sounds like pretty good value, probably drop back to a 331 like yours but bore it out more to get back to 350 or close to that, I hate funny rod angles and dodgy oil control.

those rods you have, the oliver ones, are they the billet rods??? if so how much they cost you??

Posted: Wed May 18, 2005 10:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

There has to be some holes into oil control ring area...I went through all this some time back...C.P pistons which are right up there with the best..Has oil control going over pin BUT with tool steel guides either side of rings...This allows more room for the compression rings...It's not good to have top compression ring too close to piston crown as its too close to heat, pluss valve relief [Twisted Wedge]makes top of piston weaker etc..The C.P turbo pistons have gas porting...There is a grove between top and second compression ring [ Looks like another ring land / 3 comp rings]..
They port small holes from this grove to behind bottom comp ring, so compression helps seal rings against bore..With .026 ring gap on top and alittle less on lower ring...That way any gas trapped between rings doesn't hold them away from bore..Giving better ring seal...I have NO oil control problems....It may have been an issue with std type pistons where there's big oil passages behing oil control rings...C.P pistons also run at terrably tight clearances also....I also think the oil problems of past with 347's was using std rod which drove the piston against the bore big time...
My pistons are custom not off the shelf...To get compression I wanted...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's

Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 4:52 pm 
Stock as a Rock

ACT, Australia

F**k waiting around for that guy too call me back, if he wants to sell it you would think he'd be more keen.

Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 7:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Ring VPW 1300 659 904 speak to Burney...Get a quote off him..I didn't use there pistons though..There comp was too high...But he'll give you an idea...Other than honeing bores there was no other machining to be done on my Dart block...Std roller tappets can be used with alittle machining of dog bones and spider tray...But you'll possibly use aftermarket as you don't have roller block to change over parts ?? Go the 9.5 deck height ??...

Raceparts, Ford parts Queensland
07 380 76970

Or Rocket industries Sydney
02 8825 1900
http://www.rocketindustries.com.au/search.php

Better add these guys too...
http://www.highperformanceworld.com.au/home.html

As in ZOOM 126 edition

Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 1:05 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

That's a good deal for 12k. I'd go 5.315" rods to keep the pin out of the ring land.
The S302 block has an 8.7" deck...means you'll have to make thin spacers for the intake or buy the carb type victor jnr intake and plumb for injectors.
Having said that you may as well buy what the guy has, sell off what you don't want and go the 3.25" crank with a larger bore and keep your rod length at 5.4".
Has the crane hyd roller got the factory style lifters or the tie-bar type design?

Pete.

Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 6:14 pm 
Stock as a Rock

ACT, Australia

too late he can keep it, I bought the parts to build a 351W using world block eagle bottom end CP pistons custom cam etc, gonna cost heaps more but I don't really want a 347 anyway. Might see if he will sell the heads, but then again may as well wait around for world to release the 6 bolt heads to suit the block I have.

Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 11:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

XR9UTE wrote:
That's a good deal for 12k. I'd go 5.315" rods to keep the pin out of the ring land.
The S302 block has an 8.7" deck...means you'll have to make thin spacers for the intake or buy the carb type victor jnr intake and plumb for injectors.
Having said that you may as well buy what the guy has, sell off what you don't want and go the 3.25" crank with a larger bore and keep your rod length at 5.4".
Has the crane hyd roller got the factory style lifters or the tie-bar type design?

Pete.

How about machining 351 inlet down and aligning ports??

As in ZOOM 126 edition

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]