Fordmods Logo

stopping backfires on startup 

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: stopping backfires on startup
Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

This is a cross over pipe I removed from an AU falcon. (owner wanted the gas removed)

Bolted the 225 up and sat it across the engine of my AU.
It's tight but with the converter in a different position you could easily get a 90degree silicon bend in there and make up a pipe to run from that over the engine to the filter.

Please ignore the ugly looking install of the converter, coolant hoses and processor wiring. I didn't do the conversion on this car, Besides I've got an SVI system waiting in a box to go on that car.

Gogetta: Sorry for the off topic thread steel. I'll PM a mod and ask them if they can split the thread.

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:14 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Still relevant for the thread I'd think - I suppose you could add the pics to your dodgy installations thread.
Interesting pics - wonder why the converter is mounted that low - there's plenty of room above - would raise all the hoses too, etc.
IIRC 150mm is min clearance without heat shields, but even in the pics are too close for me - that shield still gets pretty hot.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

snap0964 wrote:
Still relevant for the thread I'd think - I suppose you could add the pics to your dodgy installations thread.
Interesting pics - wonder why the converter is mounted that low - there's plenty of room above - would raise all the hoses too, etc.
IIRC 150mm is min clearance without heat shields, but even in the pics are too close for me - that shield still gets pretty hot.

It's mounted on a kit supplied bracket, I don't like it and it has caused problems with the vapour hose in the past. I'd do something about it, but it's time thing mostly. It took me a 2 months to fit the new processor and even then I didn't spend a great deal of time on it. I pretty much did just enough to get it going properly. The wiring from the changer over switch must have been just to short when they fitted it. When I had my head under the dash looking for where 12v had been taken from I found the harness has been pulled tight to get it to reach the gas lock at the converter. I guess it was so they didn't have to use any extra wire.

Min clearance from a heat source with out a shield is 140mm, There is also a clearance stated for the distance for 'shield to heat source' Which off the top of my head is 15mm, that then lets you drop the 140mm down to 40mm.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2