Fordmods Logo

losing oil pressure and misfiring. 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: losing oil pressure and misfiring.
Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 930

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Ride: EB SXR6 | ED XR8 Sprint

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

Hi guys,

Pretty new to the forced world.

I have an ED Turbo that has had the following done to it:

Bottom End – Forged Pistons, h beam rods, hi volume oil pump, balanced crank,

Top End- ported and polished, double valve springs, stud kit, roll master timing chain.

Turbo – t4

It has a bosch 044 and is running a microtech with msd ignition and coil.

ANYWAY car was running ok but needed a good tune and bigger injectors. I jump in it this morning and I notice the oil pressure (when warm) has dropped from 30psi to about 20 psi, the car is idling very rough and when the revs are up high it back fires at times and has a massive miss everytime boost comes on, so pretty much running like crap.

Does anyone have any idea where I should start my diagnosis? I checked for any piping or vacuums that have fallen off but all looks ok….

Thanks
Mo

 

_________________

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Last edited by BOSXR8 on Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: losing oil pressure and misfiring.
Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 30

Posts: 1507

Joined: 14th Aug 2009

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

Location: Gosnells, Perth
WA, Australia

fuel pressure drop is a big sign i rekon chek or replace fuel pump.

 

_________________

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: losing oil pressure and misfiring.
Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 930

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Ride: EB SXR6 | ED XR8 Sprint

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

Benny D wrote:
fuel pressure drop is a big sign i rekon chek or replace fuel pump.


I meant oil pressure.

My bad...

 

_________________

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: losing oil pressure and misfiring.
Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 930

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Ride: EB SXR6 | ED XR8 Sprint

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

double post

 

_________________

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: losing oil pressure and misfiring.
Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:06 pm 
Moderator
Offline

Posts: 14510

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Ride: ford falcon au3 xr8

Location: a shit suburb in sydney
NSW, Australia

the misfire could be leaning out under boost or the spark plug gap could be to large??

the oil pressure issue could be a few things, but 20 psi at idle is still ok, what rpm does it idle at? what oil is in it and how old is the oil??
in std spec the min oil pressure is 20 psi at 2000rpm..

also being a t04 im assuming its a std bush bearing turbo? so if there is some excess wear in the turbo bearing this can bleed off a small amount of oil pressure aswell...
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: losing oil pressure and misfiring.
Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 930

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Ride: EB SXR6 | ED XR8 Sprint

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
the misfire could be leaning out under boost or the spark plug gap could be to large??

the oil pressure issue could be a few things, but 20 psi at idle is still ok, what rpm does it idle at? what oil is in it and how old is the oil??
in std spec the min oil pressure is 20 psi at 2000rpm..

also being a t04 im assuming its a std bush bearing turbo? so if there is some excess wear in the turbo bearing this can bleed off a small amount of oil pressure aswell...


Hi Troy, its idling at 1000rpm.

The oil 'looks' to be ok but im not sure when it was last changed. the only thing i know about current oil is that previous owner used 'Penrite HPR 40 Turbo'. it is a Bush Bearing turbo.

Its just strange that all this happened at once. If the tune isnt right could it cause this dramatic change from one day being good to the next being really bad?

 

_________________

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: losing oil pressure and misfiring.
Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:26 pm 
Moderator
Offline

Posts: 14510

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Ride: ford falcon au3 xr8

Location: a shit suburb in sydney
NSW, Australia

BOSXR8 wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:
the misfire could be leaning out under boost or the spark plug gap could be to large??

the oil pressure issue could be a few things, but 20 psi at idle is still ok, what rpm does it idle at? what oil is in it and how old is the oil??
in std spec the min oil pressure is 20 psi at 2000rpm..

also being a t04 im assuming its a std bush bearing turbo? so if there is some excess wear in the turbo bearing this can bleed off a small amount of oil pressure aswell...


Hi Troy, its idling at 1000rpm.

The oil 'looks' to be ok but im not sure when it was last changed. the only thing i know about current oil is that previous owner used 'Penrite HPR 40 Turbo'. it is a Bush Bearing turbo.

Its just strange that all this happened at once. If the tune isnt right could it cause this dramatic change from one day being good to the next being really bad?


it is strange that it just happend at once, but hpr 40 is a pretty heavy oil..
how long have you had the car for?
imo hpr40 which is a 25w70 is a slight heavy for a purpose built engine..but i guess it also depends on what clearences it was built to..
maybe it has been running this oil to hide a previous underlaying oil pressure issue?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: losing oil pressure and misfiring.
Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 930

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Ride: EB SXR6 | ED XR8 Sprint

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

Ive only had it for 1 week. Previous owner said this is the only oil he has ever run but you maybe right Troyman. It's like the warmer it gets the lower the oil pressure drops. Drove it back home this evening and the pressure dropped to 15psi in low gear.

I guess I'll give it a service including leads and plugs and see what happens... what oil you recommend?

 

_________________

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: losing oil pressure and misfiring.
Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 64

Posts: 3552

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

Location: Penrith
NSW, Australia

Hmm ??? I would suggest dropping sump and checking bearings..
A rebuilt engine should be running light mineral oil to assist ring bed in..
If it has been detonating??
Damage to bearings is an issue...

 

_________________

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Last edited by EBXR8380 on Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: losing oil pressure and misfiring.
Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:05 pm 
Moderator
Offline

Posts: 14510

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Ride: ford falcon au3 xr8

Location: a shit suburb in sydney
NSW, Australia

BOSXR8 wrote:
Ive only had it for 1 week. Previous owner said this is the only oil he has ever run but you maybe right Troyman. It's like the warmer it gets the lower the oil pressure drops. Drove it back home this evening and the pressure dropped to 15psi in low gear.

I guess I'll give it a service including leads and plugs and see what happens... what oil you recommend?


im running penrite hpr10, which is a 10w/40, my engine is a stock low km bottom end, also running a bush bearing to4..
but if you do have worn bearings putting a to light grade of oil could make it much worse..
so as it is,without knowing what the bearings are like or when the oil was changed last, a fresh batch of hpr40 might keep it within the happy pressure for a while longer..
if it is worn bearings its only going to get worse over time..
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: losing oil pressure and misfiring.
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:10 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline
User avatar

Age: 39

Posts: 141

Joined: 6th Jul 2008

Ride: FORD FE LTD TURBO/ XE TURBO

Location: LIVERPOOL
NSW, Australia

I think we're jumping to conclusions.
Car has been sitting for time so first thing is do the basics. Drop the oil, change the filter/s, check your leads for proper resistance, change plugs anyway, gap them properly and don't drive it until it can get a tune. I friggen hate microtechs but if you get a switched on tuner, they can get them right. Most guys who put microtechs in get them running with bare basics. There's a whole bunch of paramaters to sort to make her run nice and a lot of microtech tuners I've found have f#@k all knowledge. Funny how the more serious tuners always stick to better brands too.

Anyway, I think do the basics first, take her in for a tune and go step by step. Don't drive it until then

 

_________________

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: losing oil pressure and misfiring.
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 930

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Ride: EB SXR6 | ED XR8 Sprint

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

It has been a while buit i have been away from home and hadnt had a chance to look at the car.

Pulled the rocker cover off last weekend and the issue was that i had broken rocker arms (the back two). I pulled the head off and there was no other damage done thank god.

checking out the spring rate vs cam specs at the moment and will possibly need heavier springs.

while im at it im going to clean up the mess of wires in the engine bay.

 

 

Attachments:
photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG [ 33.87 KiB | Viewed 1181 times ]
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG [ 46.25 KiB | Viewed 1198 times ]
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG [ 40.03 KiB | Viewed 1203 times ]

 

_________________

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: losing oil pressure and misfiring.
Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 64

Posts: 3552

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

Location: Penrith
NSW, Australia

I would say the auxiliary drive has ceased .. Stuffing up timing chain etc..
This IS the end result...

 

_________________

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: losing oil pressure and misfiring.
Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:38 am 
Stock as a Rock
Offline
User avatar

Age: 39

Posts: 141

Joined: 6th Jul 2008

Ride: FORD FE LTD TURBO/ XE TURBO

Location: LIVERPOOL
NSW, Australia

over boost :D :mrgreen:

 

_________________

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:50 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names