a few random ideas 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: a few random ideas
Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

Hey, I just wanted to put forward a couple of ideas I've had recently for a bit of discussion.

1) I know that an E series windsor V8 has the same bellhousing pattern as an earlier V8 like a 351 cleveland from an XE. I have seen people use Single rail V8 bellhousings, and mount a 6 cylinder T5 to it by drilling new holes in the bellhousing and machining the bearing retainer down a bit to fit in the hole of the bellhousing. That got me thinking, what if I got a Single rail bellhousing, an EF T5, a manual clutch and flywheel setup, and bolted the 6 cylinder T5 onto the back of the EF's windsor engine, and tried to fit it into my EF? I know the starter motor will be on the RH side instead of the LH side, but you can use a small gear reduction type, and I'm wondering if it will clear the extractors, and the steering column shaft? Is this potentially a cheap way to go about fitting a T5 to the EF, or is it a waste of time? Can a hydraullic master cylinder fit an EF? Which one would be better to use? XE? BA? Thoughts please?

2) I understand that an early windsor carby manifold will bolt straight on to an E series Windsor. Question is, would this be a legal setup if I used a Holley base, and an Impco 425 Gas mixer, and ran straight gas? What about the idea of drilling a carby manifold for 8 injectors, and using a 4 barrel throttle body? Would it run off the standard ECU? would it need aftermarket management? or would a J3 allow that? Is it a good idea or not? I do like the old school V8 look and if I went for eithier of those options, I could have it.

3) How hard would it be to fit a 6 cylinder EF power steering pump to an E series windsor, as I understand they are a better pump? Thoughts on this too please

4) How restrictive is the standard throttle body on the 165kW engines? I've recently fitted up an explorer manifold, and the throttle body looks pretty small (even potentially smaller than a 6 cylinder one) What other cars can I get a bigger throttle body off?

That's probably do for now, any thoughts would be appreciated

Gab

Post subject: Re: a few random ideas
Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lots, all Fords

New Zealand

1- Use a CRS BH107. The extra money the bellhousing mods, reduction starter motor & hydraulic clutch setup would have cost offsets the extra CRS bellhousing cost. I have run one for 5 years now and all is good.

2- Use a GRA 510 TB on a 4bbl intake or do what I did and make an adapter plate to mount one in place of the original Ford TB on the 5.0

3- I have never had a problem with the C2 pump. It seems like a very good design. They ran them in Aus/USA since the early 80's. If there was a problem with the design, that would never have happened

4- The lower HO intake is the most restrictive intake component. Once this is upgraded the 58mm HO TB is next. Use the matching 65mm TB off the AU/Explorer intake

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:23 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: XF 5 LIT P/ VAN EF 5 LIT FUTURA

VIC, Australia

Hi I have a conversion to run a Saginor pump [EF with no body & a remote reservoir like AU V8] for E Series 5lit V8,s coz I got sick of the whine the pump made on my EF. They where no good on XE v8,s they all got XF six pumps fitted. Ford did make some brackets to do that job but they never went into production. Give me a call 0407813725. Regards T.P.V.M.

SALT IS FOR RACING ON. SAUCE IS FOR FISH & CHIPS.

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

The Panel Van Man wrote:
Hi I have a conversion to run a Saginor pump [EF with no body & a remote reservoir like AU V8] for E Series 5lit V8,s coz I got sick of the whine the pump made on my EF. They where no good on XE v8,s they all got XF six pumps fitted. Ford did make some brackets to do that job but they never went into production. Give me a call 0407813725. Regards T.P.V.M.

How much u want for it? what's needed to be changed?

Gab

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:47 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: XF 5 LIT P/ VAN EF 5 LIT FUTURA

VIC, Australia

Hi I will work out what I have and what else I need and let you know. It comes with everything you need to do the job. Reco Pump, Remote Reservoir and Bracket, Pressure Hose Adapter, Modified Pulley and Adapter to fit pump to your bracket. Only issue is you need to be able to remove your Pump Pulley without damaging it as they get bored out and reused. Depending on what area you are in it might be easier if I fit it up as well. I do have some pictures if you send me your E mail Address. Mine is allace53@bigpond.com Regards Alan T.P.V.M.

SALT IS FOR RACING ON. SAUCE IS FOR FISH & CHIPS.

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

Just on the steering pump bit when I was a cabbie we had EBII's at the time, just starting to swap to EL's, AU's, so the EB's would have been very high k's by that point (over 500 - 750,000km.) Anyway, my owner who had 6 cars and the other guys in the same complex (2 other crews, about 20 cabs between them) all started getting steering pump failures. They were replaced as they went with Mustang pumps - only problem with this story is nobody I ever asked knew exactly which model Mustang pump they were using - the assumption was they were Fox body cars but can't be sure - they bolt in the same as the std part but are supposed to be stronger and they were sourcing them cheaper than the EB pumps anyway....

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]