1994-95 XG Panel Van - Alternator Problem or Question 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: 1994-95 XG Panel Van - Alternator Problem or Question
Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:09 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford XG

VIC, Australia

Hi all,

I have a 94-95 XG Panel Van which I'm having a few problems with (albeit only small problems)..
I just wanted to know if anyone knows if there is a fuse or fusable link on the lead that runs from the alternator to the battery of if this is basically just a straight run..

The kead runs back to the battery to help charge it (or keep it charged) but the problem I'm having is there seems to be a break in this lead somewhere, so I was wondering if I was able to simply run another lead directly from the battery to the alternator.. It seems okay in principle, but I'm just worried it runs off somewhere else.. I just don't want to cause any further damage..

Plus, this same lead (running from the battery) (+) to the alt, has a smaller wire which disappears back into the loom, can anyone tell me what this lead is for? I'm assuming it's maybe got something to do with the voltage sensor or heads towards the dash somewhere but I can't seem to find anything & none of my mates have any idea..

I'd be really grateful for any help offered.

Many thanks.. Peter

Post subject: Re: 1994-95 XG Panel Van - Alternator Problem or Question
Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

It's 100% fine (and a good idea in my opinion) to run a lead straight from the battery to the alternator. I dont know what that black wire does, but I'd just leave it in place. Just make sure you use thick wire for the job, the thicker the better.

Gab

Post subject: Re: 1994-95 XG Panel Van - Alternator Problem or Question
Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:14 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford XG

VIC, Australia

Gab1 wrote:
It's 100% fine (and a good idea in my opinion) to run a lead straight from the battery to the alternator. I dont know what that black wire does, but I'd just leave it in place. Just make sure you use thick wire for the job, the thicker the better.

Gab

--------------------------------//---------------------------------
Hi Gab & thank you for your prompt reply, I've been pulling my hair out worrying about it..
I did get the chance to pick the brains of a local auto-electrician (I think he tried to trick me about having any..lol)..but he seemed pretty busy so I'm guessing he did.. anyway, he suggested that there would be a fuse or fusable link in-line somewhere but other than suggesting it'll be somewhere near the battery, he didn't help much, except for adding the warning that if I did run a lead directly in-line & it had a problem, it might burn out the rest of the wiring.. so I'm about to see if I cant find the link or fuse.. although the main problem at the moment is that there's no continuity in the current lead, so that may either help me locate the fuse/link or perhaps just suggest that it needed replacing..

I'll replace the lead I've currently got spanning between the two points with a heavier one & in the mean time I'm thinking I'll put a fuse in-line somewhere.. I was thinking a 30amp fuse would be suffice, but on second thoughts I'm not sure if that'll be enough..

As for the black wire (or thinner black/white wire) I'm doing just as you've suggested & leaving it alone.

Would you by chance happen to know where I'd find the fuses or fusable link for this main alt to battery wire?

Thanks again for your help.. it kinda seemed like a good idea at the time, but I thought it better to ask in here..

Many thanks again.. Peter

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]