Fordmods Logo

LPG Issues 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: LPG Issues
Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:49 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: El Falcon Futura Tickford LPG

NSW, Australia

Hello i got a tickford lpg system which doesnt start on gas.im in the process of troubleshooting i bought this car and it wasnt working when i got it.now out of the gas computer were the wires go into a loom theres a disconnected yellow wire which has a insulated female spade terminal which reads 0.5v when the cars running im lead to believe its the 02 sensor wire can anyone tell me were it goes or atleast if im right.
,thanks Brad

Post subject: Re: LPG Issues
Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:13 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Actually while i got this thread up.Any Ideas as to why the car wont kick over to gas,I have had the converter and tank out and put back in the converter is rekitted and im pretty confident its kitted right.the computer has been out.the service valve is open.and theres no gas at all coming out of the converter.it wont start hot or cold,so not at all.So any ideas even the most basic like were the fuses are which wires at the computer should have power ect.

Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:42 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EF xr6 AU3 220kw xr8

VIC, Australia

Check power at the relay that controls the LPG lockoff. Also the lockoff solenoid might be up the duff itself. 1 pin on the relay will have constant power which should be (pin87) and one wire will be an earth (pin85) which is sometimes connected to bolt through the relay make sure this blot is tight as you may not have a good earth. (pin86) is the switching or signal wire which activates the relay and (pin30) is the power outlet to the solenoid. Fuses, power and grounds was what i was always told to check 1st.

Do the basics as its usually something simple. Also check for power at the tank itself with ignition on.

Hope that gives you some direction.

Cheers Joel.

Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:02 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

I am going in the right direction now.There is no power to the tank.I couldn't find the relay nor the fuses as yet :? but the lock of solenoid clicks when it changes over so i believe all thats good.

So that leaves me wondering why theres no power to the tank? and if that is related to a yellow wire unconected which i think is an o2 sensor

Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:43 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

ok i have done some painful research theres two fuses one i have found in the fuse box the other is surposed to be near the batery,which i cant find.... there is 12v however at the supply voltage for the computer so ruled out that the fuse is blown

But now its came to mind that my dad wired up a relay that bypassed the standard relay wondering if that has anything to do with it?

Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:46 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EF xr6 AU3 220kw xr8

VIC, Australia

Have you checked all the fuses near the steering wheel, maybe ford pulled power from there being factory fitted. You shouldn't find a random fuse under the driver footwell, It should all be wired up properly not like mine which was fitted by ford but not in factory.

Also another check which maybe be a bit of a pain in the a***, if you have a multimeter and you switch it to ohms readings, Put one probe from the multimeter on the disconnected yellow wire and tap into each wire separately at the tank with a very long separate wire run upto the front of the car to see if you get continuity. If you get a reading on the multimeter then that will tell you that the yellow wire could possibly be the power wire to the tank. If the yellow wire doesnt get a reading do the same to each wire on the O2 sensor to see if the yellow wire is for the O2 sensor.

Unfortunately i dont know how ford wired up their factory gas system so i can only give you some basic ideas to chase.

Let me know how you go.

Cheers Joel

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:00 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

I did lotsa research found that yellow wire is connected to the o2 sensor but its there for tuning purposes all is good at the moment i think its the valve at the tank i cracked the line and no gas came out with the solenoid energised .i have bigger things to worry about now.engine doesn't sound good at all.diagnosis starts this arv when i finish work.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]