Fordmods Logo

EL 4.0 LPG Wiring (without LPG ECU) 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: EL 4.0 LPG Wiring (without LPG ECU)
Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Anyone have wiring diagram for EL Falcon non-tickford using a non-lpg ECU?

The 4.0 is only going to be on LPG for 4 months - then my 185kw goes in. So Im not changing the ECU.

The factory wiring diagrams show that the power for injectors also supplies power for IAC, and the Ignition.

Is there a best point in the harness to disable the injectors, and also reenable the Ignition, and IAC?

Nigel

Post subject: Re: EL 4.0 LPG Wiring (without LPG ECU)
Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Nigel, what LPG system are you running?

BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Im using a BRC converter, with factory LPG mixer. I have the FP50 gas processor.

The wiring for tank, switch etc doesnt bother me at all.

I know that the answer is the power wire on the manifold to injectors. The issue is that that same wire powers the ignition coil as well as the IAC.
On previous models (EB onward) you would bypass the IAC direct back to power, and then you could use a relay to turn the power to the injectors off.
The Gastec has the relay built in.
So I guess the real issue is : how far along the harness do I need to go before I cut in so that I can keep or divert power for the coil, and IAC, and split the power for the injectors off.

Nigel

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

My setup was IMPCO, but for the purpose of cutting the injectors, anywhere along the loom, including at the ECU plug (where I cut mine) will do the job.

Without the factory GAS ECU, what will be the new ignition source for timing etc?

I would just leave the coil operating as per petrol and just cut the injectors, power to the lockoff valves and gas system, and away you go.

BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Ben your right about cutting injector power. as I was saying the correct way is to cut the 12v power to the injectors, not the ECU triggers for them. The 12v power to injectors is also the power supply for the IAC (we like that) and the Coil.

I think I have it sorted now. I'll be using petrol Maps - the reason for this initial conversion is the rebate, and to make the car affordable.
I have a late EL XR8 185 engine in the shed which goes in in 4 months

Nigel

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:36 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Took me a while to understand what you were trying to do - SEFI V8's and EF I6's need to disable injector power unlike the bank fire I6's (EB/ED/EL)- had to do similar on my EFXR6 wagon - the injector power feeds the ISC right up to the injector harness, so had to unravel it and make the ISC get it's power from the BBM soleniod on it's own line, there were a number of IGN power lines back to the ECU, so I cut them and ID'ed what was what, combined a couple and had a devoted line back in near the ECU so I could use a relay to cut injector power.
I do have the V8 diags - let me know how you get on . . . .

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

yep. Im wiring an EL 4.0 up the same was as the SEFI 5.0 - to make for a nice quick conversion when the newer engine goes in shortly.

I looked at the factory wiring diagrams - as long as I get far enough in the harness I should find the common point where the 12v is all connected in the manifold - and can isolate the injectors off.

Nigel

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

So anyway - a quick update. I unwrapped the EL Harness on the car (I removed the top of the BBM), and disconnected the 6 injector power feeds in the harness itself. Did it this way as the common power feed fed not only the IAC, but also the ignition, and transmission - car doesnt work without them.

I connected the 6 power feeds together, and ran them to the FP50 Injector power circuit.

While I was there I also grabbed the tach and tps feeds, and dropped an Earth wire in as well.

Re-Wrapped the whole lot, and now I have a working LPG EL.

Cheers

Nigel

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:34 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yeah those power feeds are a stagger splice from memory - they're crimped together in stages, so you do have to unravel the whole lot to get to them all.
That single square connector plug the EL's have can be either good or a PITA.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

It was a PITA - but its done. LOL. For 3-5 months. now to get to work on the harness change for the 5.0 into the car. the 185 engine looks great - but looking great isnt making it go.

Looks like the total difference in ECU harnesses from EF to EL is about 3 wires - one of them is the third Fan Speed feed (turned into SSPS) - the other 2 Im not so sure about.

But it looks like the EF harness wont be too hard to make work if I cant find a good priced EL one.

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:36 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yeah, I'm looking to 'ELize' my EFXR6 wagon - I've overhauled and fitted an SSPS rack, so will need to run an EL ghia ECU.
So yeah, those few extra EF wires will do the job to add a TFI/dizzy, alarm siren, front parking camera, couple of LPG SVI wires, etc.
Good thing too the EF mid series wiring has the climate control ambient air sensor section too.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]