LPG Starting issues - Help me find a compatible timing relay 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: LPG Starting issues - Help me find a compatible timing relay
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:32 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AU XR8 / FG LPi XR6

VIC, Australia

Hi Guys,

Recently I have had intermittent issues starting/running my AUII XR8 ute on petrol. It has had a conventional dual fuel conversion, where gas is added into the manifold, performed 3 years ago (before I owned the car).

As the car still ran fine on LPG I began looking for issues in the fuel system.

I found that when the car wouldn't work on petrol, there was no power to the injectors. Tracing it back, I found that the contact on the A.E.B box was not closing disconnecting the injectors. Giving the box a good tap magically enabled the injectors again. This is the 'A.E.B' box.

So I busted open the A.E.B box and found this broken resistor.

Now that I know what the issue is, I need to fix it. So here are my questions.

I can't seem to find a replacement box anywhere on the net, I'll make some calls tomorrow to the gas conversion places around Geelong, but if you guys know anywhere I can get this unit please let me know. Also, whats the actual name of the 'box'?

If any of you guys have this same unit, could you possibly take a photo of the resistor on your unit so I can replace the one in mine (as you can see I cant see the colors on mine).

Does anyone know what the pots on the front of the unit do? At a guess its got something to do with timing, what do you have to do to set them up?

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: LPG Starting issues - Help me find a compatible timing relay
Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

It is my guess that somewhere on the car is a plate that tells you by whom, and when, the system was installed. (If that is not there, the system is illegal)

Anyway, if you can find the plate, maybe you could go back to the installer (but they have probably gone bust by now :roll: ) and get another box?? Probably easier than trying to track down the resistor :lol:

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Why don't you just call Sprint Gas and buy a new Sprint-D? The box even has the SGA part number on it.

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:27 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AU XR8 / FG LPi XR6

VIC, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
Why don't you just call Sprint Gas and buy a new Sprint-D? The box even has the SGA part number on it.

Thats exactly what I did, pulled the new one apart, found out what the resistors value is and repaired the old one aswell.. all good now, i just thought the module would be hard to come by, turns out is fairly common

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

doobs wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:

Thats exactly what I did, pulled the new one apart, found out what the resistors value is and repaired the old one aswell.. all good now, i just thought the module would be hard to come by, turns out is fairly common

Actually im with Doobs here from the begining - why was asking about "servicing" the box unreasonable?
Just buying a new box is wasteful if the old one only required a resistor. Yes, easier to fix. Yes, less wasted time perhaps, but is just replacing it a good use of resources available? - especially if you know what your doing.
Good work by the way

Nigel

Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

I'm all for repairing it if you can.

Quote:
I can't seem to find a replacement box anywhere on the net, I'll make some calls tomorrow to the gas conversion places around Geelong, but if you guys know anywhere I can get this unit please let me know. Also, whats the actual name of the 'box'?

This is why I said call sprintgas.

If i'd had am old sprint-d at the workshop I would have pulled it apart for him.
But I'm not going to split a brand new unit.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]