Fordmods Logo

Shim Thickness Help Please 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Shim Thickness Help Please
Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:27 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Hi guys,
I am currently doing a cam swap on my XG ute, everything is going great, went down to wreckers the other day, got some shims out of an EB to add to the rocker gear for my regrind wade 1673.

Hit a problem, I need some help fast. The shims I have to put in the rocker gear are the same diameter but different thickness!!!!!!

If I add this thicker shim am I gonna kill my motor, or will the lifter adjust to suit?

By my eyeometer it looks as if my current shim is around 1.6mm and the one I have to replace it is a 2.4mm thick one.

Or should I take out my factory shim and just run the thicker 2.4mm or will this not be enough to take up slack from what wade grind off.

I appreciate all your help. I got about 4 hours to finish this thing and I can't really do any more till I find out.

Any idea's??? or am i going to have to go to ford to go buy the correct thickness shims?

XG Ute. BBM conversion, EL ECU + J3 Chip, 3" Stainless Steel Intake Pipe, K&N Pod Filter, Wade 1673 Camshaft, Pacemaker extractors, 2.5 Inch Hi-Flow Cat, 2.5 Inch exhaust, Cab Extension, 18" FG GT Rims, resprayed in blueprint.

Post subject: Re: Shim Thickness Help Please
Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:59 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

actually i have 1.9mm factory shim and a 2.4mm shim i got from the wreckers.

Is this 0.5mm going to be too much for the lifter to adjust too?

XG Ute. BBM conversion, EL ECU + J3 Chip, 3" Stainless Steel Intake Pipe, K&N Pod Filter, Wade 1673 Camshaft, Pacemaker extractors, 2.5 Inch Hi-Flow Cat, 2.5 Inch exhaust, Cab Extension, 18" FG GT Rims, resprayed in blueprint.

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:11 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

This might give some pointers - documents.php?d=80

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

You actually need to measure stuff to know if it's going to work.

Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:28 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Thanks very much for the info, it was really helpful but a bit out of my hobbie mechanic league :( I would hate for things to go very wrong due to my incompetence of measuring something incorrectly.

Anyways the Cam change went well and I managed to find some 1.9mm shims which I threw in there. Wade grind 1.904mm off their cams so one standard shim does it.

For the EB rocker gear people out there I have some helpful hints to find the correct shims so you DON'T go through the annoying part of stripping down your rocker gear to find out you have the wrong shims and have to stop what your doing and wait for parts.

There are 3 shims sizes you can get for the EB. They should all be 14mm ones unless you are using the later ED onwards rocker gear. They come in 3 thicknesses 1.6mm, 1.9mm, 2.4mm. The ones you are after are the standard 1.9mm ones. These 1.9mm ones are marked with a dot and a straight line. You can see this through the top of the rocker gear. So rather than take off the 30 bolts to get the rocker cover off and then take the lifters out and measure, you can actually see if they are the right ones from the markings.

The 2.4mm ones are marked with 2 dots on the top. The 1.6mm one I can't remember, but if you at least remember the straight line with a dot on one side you'll be sweet. Get those, put in your wade regrind cam and away you go. I didnt even get any lifter tick when I started up for the first time! So if you shim correctly then "in theory" the lifter travel stays the same and everything works as normal.

Here's a pic of the markings if you are unsure of what I am talking about. Hope it helps others like it helped me! :D
Attachment:
File comment: Shim Sizes, you can see this through the top of the rocker gear
1.9mm shim.jpg
1.9mm shim.jpg [ 17.54 KiB | Viewed 234 times ]

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]