Sprintex S5-335 pie cooker 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Sprintex S5-335 pie cooker
Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:28 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: Falcon BA 6 cyl

QLD, Australia

Due to the fact that everything I post in the Snort Performance section gets deleted I decided to post this here because it is important.

Now for those of you lucky/unlucky people who have purchased the Snort S5-335 Sprintex Kit you will have noticed that this Blower gets HOT. It doesn't matter if you Inter-cool it either because the actual blower still gets egg frying hot.

Mr Snort with all his wisdom on these things put this heat generation down to being purely heat soak from the motor, which does happen a little but it is not the main cause of these Blowers getting burning hot to touch.

No, heat soak is not the main reason the S5-335 gets pie cooking hot, it is purely due to a design fault . The Sprintex kit that Snort supplies comes with a Greddy Type S Blow Off Valve to handle the recirculation of boosted air at Idle & under cruise conditions. The problem is that this supplied BOV is designed to work on a Turbo & it is terribly inefficient on a Supercharger. Superchargers need to be fitted with Bypass valves (which are not the same thing as a restrictive Blow off valve).

No other credible Supercharger kit manufacturer fits BOV's to their Twin Screw kits, they all have Bypass valves & some (like Eaton) are even incorporated into the Blower.

Now my original Snort supplied BOV died within weeks of bolting on the blower, it would not open and when it was removed & opened up the diaphragm was leaking, probably because the BOV was actually second-hand & the diaphragm had already been repaired at least once with Super-Glue. That was when I also discovered that it wasn't even a real Greddy valve & it was obvious that it was a really poor counterfeit copy (but that is another story).

The BOV that was supplied by Snort recirculated the unwanted boost air (at idle & cruise)back through the system via a tiny & restrictive 8mm discharge pipe & plumbing. Now even at only 5 psi boost these blowers work hard & 8 mm plumbing just does not work. It is a ridiculously bad design & the Blower is working double time pumping this unwanted boost air when it shouldn't be because the recirculation plumbing is too small & the unwanted air cannot get away quick enough. The by-product of this extra work that is unnecessarily being performed by the Blower is HEAT & lots of it.

So I replaced the (so called) Type S BOV with a larger proper Greddy Type RZ BOV. This time it had a 32mm bore & Low & behold the Temps dropped by 15 *deg C. But it was still working inefficiently because of Snorts built in plumbing orifices being a max diameter of 10 mm.

So off came the Kit again (for the 5th time) & the recirculation holes in the plenum lid where made larger to 32 mm & the Greddy BOV went up on the shelf in my shed.
I then purchased a 32mm Magnuson Bypass valve & fitted it to the plenum lid,, then I had Snorts Alloy throttle intake remodeled. I had a 32mm alloy tube welded in place to accept the 32mm bypass tube from the Magnuson BPV & then I removed the original 10 mm Greddy BOV flange that was there.

The final outcome is that now the Supercharger just gets warm under all conditions & not hand burning hot ( previously at one stage on the Dyno the actual Blower casing Temp reached 170*deg C). The overall performance has increased, No more pinging & it is more responsive across the board. Also while the throttle intake was off I had the throttle bore in it matched to suit the BA Throttle body. There was 6mm restrictive lip between the two parts before. I think my Alloy throttle intake was matched for an earlier version Ford because it was way off.

Post subject: Re: Sprintex S5-335 pie cooker
Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:43 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

Interesting, I would actually like to see this remain constructive with some input from Snort as well. If what your saying is correct, I have reason to doubt you, Then perhaps your R&D could be of benefit to others.

I would hate to see people get agressive or defensive. There are right ways and wrong ways to go abou this type of feedback, I think you have done well, simply stated the facts and the benefits from a little re-engineering.

Simple minded fools, go post elsewhere, I have started plenty of off topic threads for you to deposit your brown nuggets of wisdom in.

I have a car.

Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

Do you have any photos of the 8mm orifices?

Im not sure what you mean by the blow off valve could only recirculate through an 8 mm hole.

Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:26 pm 
Commercial Sponsor

Ride: eb-twin turbo

VIC, Australia

rob here you go again trying to use the forum to discredit us ... lame

the bypass valves supplied are modified for supercharged applications , the hole/piston diameter is 25mm larger then used in the stock eaton m112 , with the engine under light load/idle we see 20kpa vacume ( as standard ) proves there is no restriction to airflow or you would notice either drop in vacume or even positive pressure

you have modified the kit many times ( even though you where informed it would void warranty ) , claimed it didint fit, then sold it then purchased it back ??? you refused to send back the so called defective parts so we replaced them ( which we had no obligation to do so ) , we even gave you components you had not paid for to try and resolve your attitude , however you refused to send back the parts which you no longer required or could use??? ( which you agreed in writing to return )

you also agreed in writing not to continue this internet based attack to try to discredit snort performance or myself - your a parasite and a liar there is some people beyond fixing

we have never encountered a customer like yourself and hope never to do so again , your posts and comments have been removed from more then this forum as it has been seen for its true intent not moderated to our benefit

you have never used our liquid/air intercoolers to even comment other then your perception . the non intercooled systems are not suitable for higher boost applications however the fact you are producing excess of 200++ rwkw @ 5psi simply shows the systems work as expected

we have NEVER seen intake temps over 90c even running 12psi boost with the sprintex blowers ( non intercooled ) so again where you get you figures from is beyond me

in short you are dirty as dept fair trading and your threats of legal action didnt end in the result you had hoped , rest assured we have just finished installing the s5335 supercharger system ( liquid cooled ) and for those interested the results and power levels will be provided

Snort Snort, we make our own speed!!!!!

Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:06 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

please dont turn this into another argument thread..
feedback is good but please keep it constructive guys...

in regards to the blow off valve, the gready style bovs can be used as bypass valves, its a matter of removing the second spring, seting it to its softest position so the bov is open on light cruise and deceleration..
if its a non genuine gready type bov. they are cheap hence the reason the diaphragms dont last that long, im using a cheap one from my old supercharger set up on my current turbo set up, and to be honest in my case the diaphragms only last about 12 months max..

again the heat issues can be related to the fact that compressed air creates heat and heat from the block will transfer to anything bolted to it.
i had a raptor supercharger (un intercooled) and this was mounted via a steel bracket to the block and the charger itself would get as hot as anything else in the engine bay, eg rockercover ect..the intake temps would reach 90-100 degc under boost..

Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:56 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF falcon

WA, Australia

i think if he had these problems and by the sounds he has fixed them it could be a benfit for snort to take it as advice, imo anything that lowers the operating temps is worth checking into.

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:33 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EB falcon

QLD, Australia

sounds much like the reply i had from haltech b4 they banned me from the forums for getting cranky about spending thousands on an ecu and various haltech parts and the ecu wont read half the sensors correctally, had recipts and the mechanic who installed it write a letter and sent a video to provide as much to them to resovle it and they ban me from the forum. snort your gear is good but could use some improvements, youse arnt top of the line gear nor are you bottom of the line gear but you could do so much better, any advice good or bad can be taken into account that maybe something need an improvement.

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:46 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Falcon BA 6 cyl

QLD, Australia

Snort Performance wrote:
rob here you go again trying to use the forum to discredit us ... lame

the bypass valves supplied are modified for supercharged applications , the hole/piston diameter is 25mm larger then used in the stock eaton m112 , with the engine under light load/idle we see 20kpa vacume ( as standard ) proves there is no restriction to airflow or you would notice either drop in vacume or even positive pressure

you have modified the kit many times ( even though you where informed it would void warranty ) , claimed it didint fit, then sold it then purchased it back ??? you refused to send back the so called defective parts so we replaced them ( which we had no obligation to do so ) , we even gave you components you had not paid for to try and resolve your attitude , however you refused to send back the parts which you no longer required or could use??? ( which you agreed in writing to return )

you also agreed in writing not to continue this internet based attack to try to discredit snort performance or myself - your a parasite and a liar there is some people beyond fixing

we have never encountered a customer like yourself and hope never to do so again , your posts and comments have been removed from more then this forum as it has been seen for its true intent not moderated to our benefit

you have never used our liquid/air intercoolers to even comment other then your perception . the non intercooled systems are not suitable for higher boost applications however the fact you are producing excess of 200++ rwkw @ 5psi simply shows the systems work as expected

we have NEVER seen intake temps over 90c even running 12psi boost with the sprintex blowers ( non intercooled ) so again where you get you figures from is beyond me

in short you are dirty as dept fair trading and your threats of legal action didnt end in the result you had hoped , rest assured we have just finished installing the s5335 supercharger system ( liquid cooled ) and for those interested the results and power levels will be provided

Snort wrote:
Quote:

Well Geoff, I suggest you contact Chiptorque Performance on the Gold Coast & ask to speak to the Founder - Technical Director & BOSS TUNER about the Snort Performance S3-335 Sprintex setup on a BA Falcon 4.0 & the amount of heat it generates with a Greddy BOV. He will give you the facts & figures.

The heat that this setup was generating even with the 5 psi pulley was well over 100c & that was at idle of course. The heat was causing the engine ping so much that the huge amounts of timing that had be taken out to remove the detonation was defeating the purpose of even having a supercharger fitted.

His advice ( & also on the advice from Bullet Cars/ Performance Products & a few others) was the reason we changed it to a proper Magnuson Bypass-valve.
Just by doing this & opening up the plumbing to a decent size the temps dropped to around 90c non-inter cooled (with 5psi pulley). Using the 10/12 psi pulley would still Kill it for sure.

As for the rest of what you wrote,,,,, well before I got my solicitor & Fair trading on your back you were not going to give me anything. I ended up paying you over $4000 bucks & a year later I got a box of non fitting prototype parts & then I had to jump through hoops to get the correct ones.

But you sure changed your tune real quick & sent everything pronto when my solicitor started sending you letters,, so it did kind of end with the result I had had hoped for.
But then again on top of that it has cost us another $4000 dollars in tuning & machining costs JUST to get a slightly average power output, So 200 rwk for $10,000+++ dollars aint all that good in my view, and it would never have even made it over 177kw if we hadn't re-engineered the entire kit ourselves. The only part that we never touched is the runners (other than for a machine to get them true) what do you use to do it...A Grinder??

So when you sent the parts I withdrew my complaint with VIC & QLD Fair Trading "in good faith".
I shouldn't have though, because I would have got my outlay in legal costs back if I had continued.
The fact is that my claims where proved True & correct & because of a loophole in how everything was done in the purchase the fair trading side would have been heard in QLD not NSW as you originally thought. Maybe that's why you finally took notice.
A word of advice to anyone who reads this,,, pay for all online BIG DOLLAR purchases by cheque if you can because there are a few hidden legal loopholes that will work in the buyers favor that are not available to other methods of payment or transfer. I didn't pay Snort that way, but trust me,, you will be thankful if the deal turns sour.
But even being in the right it still cost me over $2000 dollars in legal fees just to get from you what was rightfully mine.

As for the unneeded parts, you will get them back as I have promised & agreed upon but only when I can get this kit to run the 10/12 psi pulley RELIABLY non-intercooled as you promised me it would. It hasn't happened yet so you may be waiting a while longer I think, they are CRAP Parts anyway.

Nobody is trying to discredit you (unless you call telling the truth discrediting) & if you feel that way you are in denial because by saying these things about me you have & are still discrediting yourself now.

I have spoken the truth from the beginning & you know it.... So that is all that matters for me..
Calling me a parasite and a liar takes the Cake! How do you sleep at night?

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:13 pm 
Commercial Sponsor

Ride: eb-twin turbo

VIC, Australia

yet again more lies .... i didnt send the parts because of fair trading or your solicitor ( which i still have the letters to all partys ) both fair trading and your solicitor dropped you whitout any action needed to be taken by us , we sent the parts only to try and appease you and only after you agreed to discontinue your attempts to spread lies and misinformation ( again i have all the copys )

you where offered the following

send the kit back and receive full refund
replace with a turbo kit to the same value
replace the so-called parts that you claimed didnt fit or work correctly

all of which you refused , even when dept fair trading got involved they also where amazed at your attitude ... in the end to try and resolve the matter we sent almost another complete kit out to you only after you agreed to return the unused parts - to make it clear here your original complaint with fair trading was you didnt receive a receipt or the new cast allow intake section ( which you where originally offered but again you refused due to the time line ) some of these parts had not even been developed at the time you purchased your kit

using the internet to try and discredit snort performance products is a desperate act of a child

we supplied all the parts you requested and more , not because of your weak attempts of threats /legal action ect but because i thought we had finally reached an agreement which you failed to comply

most of the other forums clued on very early on your true intent and either banned you or deleted your threads ...its only here you seem to continue your s**t

Snort Snort, we make our own speed!!!!!

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

Oh god. Chiptorque? Thers your f**k problem......

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]