High Flow Service Line and Lockoffs 300+RWKW 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: High Flow Service Line and Lockoffs 300+RWKW
Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

wondering what choices there are for lines and lockoffs/outlets that can support 300+rwkw...

was figureing on duel std lockoffs/outlets and dual 5/16 lines from tank to convertors (twin b2's)
only prob with this is converting the tank to duel lockoffs...

is there larger lockoffs and gas line available at reasonable cost that would support this power level?

was thinking of something like this:
but does this still have an AFL or is it just a filler elbow?

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/7825 ... ph3ww9.jpg

Post subject: Re: High Flow Service Line and Lockoffs 300+RWKW
Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

I have seen a 3/8" LPG line on a car before, but I think you are better off to twin it.

gogetta wrote:
was thinking of something like this:
but does this still have an AFL or is it just a filler elbow?

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/7825 ... ph3ww9.jpg

I think it will still have an AFL, not 100% sure but someone else will confirm.

Gab

Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

It has a screw in AFL. But it's not really ideal as it's not mounted at the right height.
You could spend a little time bending the float arm to get the %80 fill that AS1425 states.

You could run that with twin lines or you could use a single 10mm flex hose or 3/8 copper with brass Y fittings at each end.

Just remember there are rules in AS1425 about excess flow valves ect that you should consider when looking at twin service valves.

Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
It has a screw in AFL. But it's not really ideal as it's not mounted at the right height.
You could spend a little time bending the float arm to get the %80 fill that AS1425 states.

You could run that with twin lines or you could use a single 10mm flex hose or 3/8 copper with brass Y fittings at each end.

Just remember there are rules in AS1425 about excess flow valves ect that you should consider when looking at twin service valves.

the setup is twin flex lines Tee'd of one service valve that has been "high flowed" by previous owner...not acceptable to me at all....

what would u personally do short of a custom tank to get better than standard flow?

Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

I'll make some calls.

Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

EXCESS-FLOW VALVE
AS1425 3.11 (B) The nominal closing flow rate shall not exceed 215ml/s of LP Gas liquid

(C) The bypass flow rate when the valve is shut shall not exceed 3.3ml/s of LP Gas liquid at 350kpa differential pressure.

(D) The valve shall re-open automatically when the excess flow condition has ceased.

Talking with one of my guys, Your biggest problem is going to be the excess flow valve which is required. To get any more then 215ml/s you will need more then one service tap.

The gas locks will be the next issue as they are only a 1/8 hole, you can get lock locks with a 1/4 hole.

Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

OK. I got to finisht he conversion with him AND I've stripped down an service tap/lock.

the biggest restriction like I said is the Excess flow valve.

From there it's the gas lock that is part of the service tap.

The fitting of large lines or twin lines from a single tap serves only one purpose, It increases the reserve of liquid between the tap and converter/s.
Which can help for short periods of full demand.

The only way around it properly is two service taps in one tank OR two tanks with the tanks feeding one coverter each. As soon you join two tanks into one service line you need to fit an hydrostatic T valve, which only adds more restriction.

Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

thanks for that..u r a champion...

i havent approached any gas places as im pretty sure of the response im gunna get due to their ignorance on this sort of thing...

next step will be actually approaching them with what I want to do...which is now twin taps (1/4 inch outlet) and seeing if theyll accept the job of compliancing such a system... :roll:

the system in the car didnt have a comp plate and there were cable ties used on some sections of the second line to hold it in place....convertors were mounted down near the LHF sway bar mount (which had been removed to allow space)...one of the lines was rubbing on the rear swaybar link and had gone through to the metal wires...There were only a couple of small plates under the blots to hold the tank in (should have had plates for all 4 - 2 were just thin washers), filler was only held in by 1 self tapping screw......the whole install is just BAADDDD!!!....needs to be done right or not at all....so now the car has been stripped of all its gas install and is to be done right this time...

Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

The way the standard reads about the excess flow valve I see no reason not to compliance it IF each service valve has it's own service line and converter.

If you joined them into say a single 10mm flex line or 3/8 copper then you are effectively doubling the closing flow and bypass flow.

It's grey as there are no rules written that deal directly with what you want to do.
There is also nothing saying that you can't do it.

Perhaps call APA and talk to them about a custom tank with two service taps and see what they say about it. Making the phone call doesn't mean you have to commit.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]