977b or Cms stage 3?. 

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: 977b or Cms stage 3?.
Posted: Sat May 26, 2012 7:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

ive had a 1673 ,977b and 1521a, 977b was the best for a daily, 1521a was a pig untuned, but still drive able above 3000rpm was awesome.

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Sat May 26, 2012 7:25 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

ef_falcon_95 wrote:
ive had a 1673 ,977b and 1521a, 977b was the best for a daily, 1521a was a pig untuned, but still drive able above 3000rpm was awesome.

So confused hehe. 977b looks like a good option for a bit more power. Might put the 1673 back in see what power it makes with the new bottom end. The old bottom end was still ed so the compression was not that high.

Posted: Sat May 26, 2012 7:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: EF XR8

NSW, Australia

maso1988 wrote:
id go cms stage 2a

+2
I have the 2a cam and it's pretty good for street use.

Blue blooded.

Posted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

mattymc wrote:
ef_falcon_95 wrote:

So confused hehe. 977b looks like a good option for a bit more power. Might put the 1673 back in see what power it makes with the new bottom end. The old bottom end was still ed so the compression was not that high.

1673 is a mix grind between 977b and 1636 . I'd prefer the 977b. More power up top .

Theres not much of a power increase going from 977b to 1521a, guys are actually lost a few kw. But gained a lot more torque , when I had it in it pulled so hard .

With 1521a you'd want a manual , short diff gears , head work , full exhaust , intake , tune .
All of that and it would be pretty good to drive , mine was fine , but getting it to idle was hard lol

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:04 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Ford EL Falcon

VIC, Australia

ef_falcon_95 wrote:
Theres not much of a power increase going from 977b to 1521a, guys are actually lost a few kw. But gained a lot more torque , when I had it in it pulled so hard .

wat.

You can get to 175rwkw with a 1521a, 977b will probably max out at 160rwkw. This is with headwork and tune btw.

Posted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Going off what I've seen on YouTube and threads . But don't think any of them had head work . Maybe 1 .

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

Hi Guys
my 2a cam which I made was mainly for the auto as it still had a good idle not as aggresive as the 3 it works very well, in saying that we started to use them in manuals & due to the slighty more duration than the 2 found that it made good torque.

The stg3, unless you had them tuned !!..... did require tps & idle readjusting, this was to keep the idle stable as it had around 15'' off vaccum@ idle & the map sensor was having a fit but once you got to 1200rpm everything was good again, we still have guys running around with the stage 3 head & cam set ups with no tune & still pull 170rwkw they choose not to worry about the idle due to its lopey feel...

thanks
joe

Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:25 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

AUXR8 2 wrote:
Hi Guys
my 2a cam which I made was mainly for the auto as it still had a good idle not as aggresive as the 3 it works very well, in saying that we started to use them in manuals & due to the slighty more duration than the 2 found that it made good torque.

The stg3, unless you had them tuned !!..... did require tps & idle readjusting, this was to keep the idle stable as it had around 15'' off vaccum@ idle & the map sensor was having a fit but once you got to 1200rpm everything was good again, we still have guys running around with the stage 3 head & cam set ups with no tune & still pull 170rwkw they choose not to worry about the idle due to its lopey feel...

thanks
joe

Cheers for the reply Joe,

Do you have a rough idea on what sort of power the 2a can produce. Meaning if all mods are done acordingly when do you think it will max out rwkw wise?

I would like to run a stage 3 but concerned it might be a bit much for a daily driven car. I will be doing a full tune to suit. Can you get this cam quite drivable with a good tune?.

Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:31 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 97 el ghia

NSW, Australia

AUXR8 2 wrote:
Hi Guys

thanks
joe

considering ripping the cam out of my spare engine and taking it down to sydney, does CMS do it as exchange or do you need to wait for the grind ?

my build thread

the-garage-f53/maso-s-el-fairmont-ghia-build-t112744.html

Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

our cams are on an exchange basis & I normally have them in stock, the 2a we see around the 150rwkw mark more with a manual, & the stg3 cam with a tune will be fine for day to day driving

thanks
Joe

Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:48 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

AUXR8 2 wrote:
our cams are on an exchange basis & I normally have them in stock, the 2a we see around the 150rwkw mark more with a manual, & the stg3 cam with a tune will be fine for day to day driving

thanks
Joe

Right now I'm at 158rwkw with the 1673 so I'm thinking the stage 3 will be the cam that will give me power gains. Think I'll give it a try and see how things go. I'll be in touch soon to organize a stage 3 Joe. Just waiting on my bottom end to be finished.

Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ive ran a few different Wade grinds in my old EF when i was playing with cars. Regardless if the car seems to drive fine after a cam swap, any cam needs a custom tune to get the most out of it.

TPS, ISC mods, yep i did them when i was hoping to get away without spending the $$ for a chip/tune (its the eseries way!! :lol: ) Seemed to work alright until i realized what an ISC really does and why its there. You cant adjust it so it idles great when the car is hot & cold. If you adjust so it idles great when warm, then it stalls when cold. Or adjust it so it idles great when cold, then it idles too high when warm.

Ive never ran CMS cams, but from what everyone here says, they are great cams, and a few have made alot of power. So i can only comment on the ones ive ran, so go 977b behind an auto along with diff gears and tune. Or behind a manual go the 1521a with a tune. Because you already have stronger springs you dont need to worry about them (although doubles cause extra wear & tear on the valvetrain, so i dont recomend them unless your running big cams)

the 1521a when tuned behind a manual will be as tame as a normal cam on the road. Its not a huge cam by any means!!!

Posted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

What sort of power are you after?, Give CVE a call im sure they will be able to help you with a decent cam. I have standard bottom end with CVE's head an cam and im putting out 195rwkw.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:57 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

GeZza200 wrote:
What sort of power are you after?, Give CVE a call im sure they will be able to help you with a decent cam. I have standard bottom end with CVE's head an cam and im putting out 195rwkw.

Intresting I did not even think about cve to be honest. I'll just be looking at a cam swap as my head has already been ported and dont want to spend more cash on the head. Not really sure what sort of power I'm after to be honest just want to make the most out of the fresh bottom end with more compression.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2