Fordmods Logo

ford laser carby troubles 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: ford laser carby troubles
Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

i bought a timing light this morning and adjusted the timing to 10 deg btdc and dropped the idle from 1500 to 800rpm(before i did the timing), now i have a problem that the car is running rich as hell and has a bit of a back fire when im off the throttle, tryed adjusting the air fuel mix screw and cant seem to fix it up no matter how far i lean the car out, the only next option i can think of looking at is the float level, does it sound like im on the money or could i be looking at anything else? Choke isnt stuck on, the carb has been completly stripped and cleaned and new bits by a professional along with the engine being rebuilt and still being ran in, car ran pretty good with the timing advanced compared to now but it was running some pretty stupid ignition advance i couldnt even see the white mark on the pulley when the timing light fired it was so far advanced, also it is the E5 mazda engine

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Post subject: Re: ford laser carby troubles
Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

just had a look at the sight glass in the side if the carby and it seems as though its almost full to the top, where should it be? I remember on my old laser it had to be adjusted down when i had this problem, because it was over full, but it was higher than what it is in this car,
I adjusted something else, dono what it does but it made a small difference,

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

so this morning the car would not start so i rolled it down the road and it fired, i adjusted the timing rite out again to a rediculous amount, and it runs fine again, cant get the car into the shed so i have to wait for it to stop raining, the float level seems to be set high because the fuel level in the carb should only be about half way? and its nearly all the way at the top, it runs fine with the timing set high with no pinging or backfiring at all(i am running 98 octane) i feel like its using too much petrol like this for the size of the engine so i really would like it to run at all standard specs/maybe @ 12 degrees advanced for a little more get up and go,

BF XR6

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

since no body cares on here unless its an e series ill just go to the laser forum, where i can b**ch about how s**t you all are :D

peace out b**ch :twisted:

BF XR6

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

now ive dropped the float level to half way where its ment to be, readjusted the idle and the air fuel mixure, unscrewed the jets and just checked if they were blocked, they were fine, now im thinking the owner got the frikken things drilled out because he was going to install a cam and everybody had put ideas in his head.
and where he got the carby rebuilt at taree, this guy stuck the carby on a old 186 holden motor, didnt bolt it down just sat it there, tuned it took it off and handed to my mate after the rebuild.

so im starting to think what kind of wanker is he? and now im wondering why the hell my timing wont go below being maxxed out, if i set it to 11 degrees or 10 degrees, it just smells of petrol at the tail pipe and misfires and acts like a s**t when i try to drive it, but when its put at approx 16 or more it runs fine?

anyone know if i can buy new jets from repco or similar place cheap enough or am i after a standard carby?
not willing to spend too much money as i only bought it as a s**t for work and it hasent cost me anything but some petrol and oil so far..

BF XR6

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

been told by a carby mechanic i cant buy new jets, and the cam timing is probably out and thats why i can only run heaps of ignition advance to get it to run, so i guess since the tappets need adjusting ill have to check the cam timing tommorrow aswell

BF XR6

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

ACT, Australia

Hi,

An old post I realize, there should be a line on the glass for the fuel level. If it is small and round, the middle is the point. Big and square the line will be about 3/4 of the way up. To high and it will run rich. The mixture screw is for idle only. If you are having strange problems with the timing, check the centrifical advance. They can stick and not return. I had starting issues with an MA2000 and this is what it was. A good carb kit should have new jets, maybe get some out of a 2nd hand carb. Should be a cheap item to buy. An old style tuner can drill Jets, you may be able to solder them up and then drill to see if that is the fix.

Hope you have it sorted.

Regards 96ELGli

Regards 96ELGli

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]