Fordmods Logo

Dual Fuel Conversion EL Sedan 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Dual Fuel Conversion EL Sedan
Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:29 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: el falcon futura

VIC, Australia

Hi, I am looking to covert my 98 el futura sedan to dual fuel. I seem to get mixed responses when i talk to different people about it so I'm just after opinions.

I have had a quote for a mixer system for $2500 before the rebate, is this a reasonable price? What should i be looking out for and asking before i get the conversion? Considering i have 263,XXX kms on the car (original head) will running it on gas cause problems?

Any help would be great.

Post subject: Re: Dual Fuel Conversion EL Sedan
Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

James. Thats not bad, but a better option is available.

Go to Woolongong and get it converted.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/190687515584 ... 309wt_1270

KIt cost $680, Installation $1600 including the tank. Total $2280

Rebate is the same. Thats LPG Injection, using an AEB ECU. Ive spoken to my local LPG Guy, and the injectors are reasonable. not the A-grade kit, but when you can get injection for less than you were quoted for a mixer system youd be silly not to.

No Performance loss on Petrol, or on LPG.

The only disadvantage of dual fuel injection, is that the car needs to warm up to 35 degrees first (that can be changed, but its 35 for a reason). It then just switches over by itself.

On an i6, you'll also get lean cruise. All adds up to better economy and performance

Nigel

Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:21 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Ahh, i might be being taken for a bit of a walk.. That gives me a figure to aim for thanks heaps. Problem is I'm in Melbourne haha

Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Somewhere between $2000 & $2500 is what the gas joints are charging for the mixer systems, then you qualify for the grant, if your being quoted around that after the grant, they are trying to take you for a ride!

Injection is the way to go, it would be worth travelling that far for the kit to be installed, I don't know of anywhere close to that price for injection down here in melb.

I've got gas injection on my EB Ghia, it's worth the extra money & effort!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:50 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Definitely some food for thought. Thanks for the help il let you know how i go, i think the rebate ends at the end of the month. Is that true?

Cheers

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

I thought it was just dropping down a couple of hundred? Don't quote me on that, I am not sure TBH.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:24 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Rebate's still til 2014/5 from memory - drops $250 a yr. Check the government's website - there's a thread or two in the LPG forum here.
If you buy that kit, get a copy of the emissions cert, so if you upgrade to a BF or FG, you can swap the kit over.
You'll find in threads here it is better to buy a petrol vehicle and go SVI rather than the factory Egas - unless it's a later FG which has factory LPG injection.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

snap0964 wrote:
Rebate's still til 2014/5 from memory - drops $250 a yr. Check the government's website - there's a thread or two in the LPG forum here.
If you buy that kit, get a copy of the emissions cert, so if you upgrade to a BF or FG, you can swap the kit over.
You'll find in threads here it is better to buy a petrol vehicle and go SVI rather than the factory Egas - unless it's a later FG which has factory LPG injection.

I'd still prefer to buy a petrol FG and have it converted with the Orbital system.
Being stuck with LPG as the only option isn't great if you travel out side of major cities, There are times here when you just can't find a servo that has any.

Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:13 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: fairmont

NSW, Australia

boys, so if i convert my falcon with that ebay kit and get them to install it for grand total of 2200, how much rebate am i looking at?

just had a look, so $1000 rebate, ends up costing me $1200 out of my pocket. and the savings will be made in a couple of months i guess.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]