Fordmods Logo

Which Philips Headlight Globes Are Best? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Which Philips Headlight Globes Are Best?
Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:24 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 1998 EL Ford Futura

VIC, Australia

I'm looking at putting better Philips headlight globes in to improve the brightness of the headlights in my EL. What're some of the best globes I could use? I do like the look of the white/blue ones too, look pretty cool haha

MY BUILD:
- Oxford Green 1998 EL Ford Futura. Hybrid EL Tickford Engine. 3.45 LSD Diff. DL LTD Interior. Cruise Climate Trip HERE
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by ryanpatrick42 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: The best straight swap headlight globes available? Help!?
Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 95 EF GLI

VIC, Australia

ryanpatrick42 wrote:
I'm looking at putting better headlight globes in to improve the brightness of the headlights, but I want something simple, just a straight globe switch over. What're some of the best available globes I could use? ( I do like the look of the white ones too, look pretty cool haha )

what car? if h1 globes ive got these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PHILIPS-H1-X ... 19c941dfc3

best ive found so far for h1's.

95 Ef Gli, mods : Tickford Head, Tickford ecu, Pacemaker 4499, Venom 100 cpi cat, Redback 2.5" catback, Wade 977b cam, ba xr6 intake and SS inductions, k & n filter & leather seats. 147.5kw @ wheels

Post subject: Re: The best straight swap headlight globes available? Help!?
Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:31 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 1998 EL Ford Futura

VIC, Australia

Okay, I'll look into them thanks, it's an EL Futura.

MY BUILD:
- Oxford Green 1998 EL Ford Futura. Hybrid EL Tickford Engine. 3.45 LSD Diff. DL LTD Interior. Cruise Climate Trip HERE
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post subject: Re: Which Philips Headlight Globes Are Best?
Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i think you need h1 globes, hopefully someone can either confirm or correct me on that. So if you after better quality lights stay away from the blue ones, the more yellow the light the better distance i believe. The bluer light is brighter but dosnt spread as far. Again someone confirm or correct this.

95 Ef Gli, mods : Tickford Head, Tickford ecu, Pacemaker 4499, Venom 100 cpi cat, Redback 2.5" catback, Wade 977b cam, ba xr6 intake and SS inductions, k & n filter & leather seats. 147.5kw @ wheels

Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:25 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Your low beams will be H4's no telling... High's on EF/EL I'm not sure... They're H3 on EA-ED and I thought H3 on EF/EL too...

The best light is daylight colour temp because that's what our eyes are suited to...

Daylight comes in around the 5000K mark depending what you read...

I'm running 5000K HID D2S bulbs in my XR low beams... Lamps have been modified to take these globes... 5000K is the best colour in my opinion for night driving...

My high beam halogens are the Philips Diamond Vision because they're apparently "5000K"? I got these to colour match the HID bulbs I run... Looking at the lamps they are different colours (the H3's are warmer than the 5000K HID's) but from inside the car looking out it's very hard to tell...

Previous to these I was running 6000K and they were useless... Too white... Starting to go blue...

Trouble with EL lights is that they're EL lights... They are renowned for being useless... I don't a temperature colour change in a bulb will make two squirts of difference... You'd be best to retrofit some HID lamps in there and run them in your low beams (Like I've done), that's been a terrific upgrade... My low beams are awesome now, and unlike normal XR lamps are now dual high/low beam... My high beams are on par with most cars and only way I'd be able to see further now is with some driving lights, and I'm not doing that to my car...

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/produc ... cts_id=237

The above is the kit that I had fitted to my XR lamps... May fit in EL lamps, fits in ED lamps no worries, but because EL lamps are so "squinty" it may not fit (see the dimensions)...

That's my 2c anyway... HID ftw...

Then match the bulbs (whether you pick 5000K or 4300K) with the appropriate Phillips bulb giving the same colour temp off for your high beam lamps...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
Your low beams will be H4's no telling... High's on EF/EL I'm not sure... They're H3 on EA-ED and I thought H3 on EF/EL too...

The best light is daylight colour temp because that's what our eyes are suited to...

Daylight comes in around the 5000K mark depending what you read...

I'm running 5000K HID D2S bulbs in my XR low beams... Lamps have been modified to take these globes... 5000K is the best colour in my opinion for night driving...

My high beam halogens are the Philips Diamond Vision because they're apparently "5000K"? I got these to colour match the HID bulbs I run... Looking at the lamps they are different colours (the H3's are warmer than the 5000K HID's) but from inside the car looking out it's very hard to tell...

Previous to these I was running 6000K and they were useless... Too white... Starting to go blue...

Trouble with EL lights is that they're EL lights... They are renowned for being useless... I don't a temperature colour change in a bulb will make two squirts of difference... You'd be best to retrofit some HID lamps in there and run them in your low beams (Like I've done), that's been a terrific upgrade... My low beams are awesome now, and unlike normal XR lamps are now dual high/low beam... My high beams are on par with most cars and only way I'd be able to see further now is with some driving lights, and I'm not doing that to my car...

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/produc ... cts_id=237

The above is the kit that I had fitted to my XR lamps... May fit in EL lamps, fits in ED lamps no worries, but because EL lamps are so "squinty" it may not fit (see the dimensions)...

That's my 2c anyway... HID ftw...

Then match the bulbs (whether you pick 5000K or 4300K) with the appropriate Phillips bulb giving the same colour temp off for your high beam lamps...

Cheers,
Tim

are all el's low beam h4?

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:47 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

i would presume so. to my knowledge xr's run single element low beams while all other models run dual element low beam globes. these are either h4 or h7 and being the age i'd say h4.

take the cap off the back of the lamp and see how man wires are plugged onto the globe. if it has 3 it'll be h4. feel free to pull the globe out to double check (takes two seconds).
cheers,
tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I have used Phillips xtreme power, xtreme vision, crystal vision and blue vision all in my EL. The xtreme vision 100%+ has been the best by far. Its quite a bright white light, id recommend it out of the bunch from Phillips.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

GeZza200 wrote:
I have used Phillips xtreme power, xtreme vision, crystal vision and blue vision all in my EL. The xtreme vision 100%+ has been the best by far. Its quite a bright white light, id recommend it out of the bunch from Phillips.

have you got h1 or h4 low beam?

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:16 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 1991 eb1 fairmont

QLD, Australia

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/produc ... cts_id=227 these are the ones i have fitted to my xr lamps as they fit the projector housing better than the mini d2s.

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

I replaced my globes with some Narva 100 Plus Image

They put out a good amount of light, much better than whatever they normally use, and it's a really high end amber/white colour.

EL Ghia

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]