Fordmods Logo

XHII Cruise control 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: XHII Cruise control
Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:23 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: XH II 1 tonne

NSW, Australia

I'm putting cruise control into my '98 XHII Tradesman T5 manual. I've just looked up the wiring diagram and found a "clutch vacuum switch". Does my ute already have one? Will I need to source one from another manual with cruise? So far I've got the module and wiring. Also, will I need to change out my clock spring or is the wiring there?

Cheers

Post subject: Re: XHII Cruise control
Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:34 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

You have an EF/EL module? Is your XH running a log or BBM manifold? If it is a log do you have the proper XH throttle cable? (long than the common BBM cable)...

Because it is XH it will most probably use an EF/EL style module (or the proper XH module)

Attachment:
Cruise Control Wiring.JPG
Cruise Control Wiring.JPG [ 44.5 KiB | Viewed 565 times ]

This was how I wired it into my ED... Fairly straight forward... The EF/EL stuff doesn't have vacuum... That is EB/ED stuff which is a more complicated system to try and install (module under the console, pump under the passenger side cowling, actuator under the driver side cowling)... While EF/EL is all one module...

Not sure if EH had a special clock spring... You'll need 5 wires in the clock spring through... 2 are for the airbag (you wont have one) 3 for the horn and cruise buttons... If you take off the horn pad you'll soon see if the plug is under there for the buttons (has 3 wires in it) and how many wires are in the clock spring...

Upload photos to us if you get stuck... We're here to help...

Cheers,
Tim

EDIT:

I should mention the above wiring only works on the EF/EL era of cruise module... The AU cruise module will not set with the above wiring... I made it fail safe, where on EF/EL it wasn't... So Ford made it fail safe on AU and their fail safe doesn't like my fail safe wiring...

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:53 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

I've had a look and the module I got is short and doesn't reach the the throttle body. I took it out of an EF or EL, can't remember which one. I've put an airbag in my car and the cable was there for it but I did notice there weren't many wires going into the connection from the loom in the steering wheel. I might c.m.a. and just get the clock spring out of the car that had the cruise switches. What is a BBM?

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:36 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Ah man... You're a rookie hey?

Ok first things first... The airbag... Get rid of it...

You plugged the air bag in? Lucky the ute lacks all the other components to make the airbag fire... I sure as hell hope you didn't mount crash sensors and the airbag module and make up wiring looms to fit it...

What you need to understand is this...

There was an XF sedan and XF ute...
Then came the EA-ED styled sedan... The ute was called the XG... It was an XF ute with ED headlights, steering wheel, instrument cluster, motor and computer
Then came the EF-EL styled sedan... The ute was the XH... It was still an XF ute but with EL headlights, steering wheel, instrument cluster, mixed bag motor and computer...

Because the utes are all essentially the XF ute structurally... The ARE NOT engineered to use an airbag... For a car to safely fire an airbag and not kill anyone doing it a lot has to change about the car... You can't just put airbags into something that didn't come off the production line with them... I run an FG steering wheel and I pulled the airbag out of the horn pad and tossed it in the bin (see my build thread if you don't believe me)... My ED wasn't engineered to have airbags so they're not going in...

With your seatbelts and the airbag you'll be more likely to have the airbag break your neck than save it... Not mention the way the general structural integrity of a pre 90's designed ute is...

Airbag has to go... Along with any crash sensors you may or may not have improperly mounted in the ute... It's dangerous...

Second part...

XH ute education... Snap may know more than me and if he reads this he'll tune in I'm sure...

XH utes were a mixed bag... The entry level utes were fitted with an EL motor, but Ford still had log manifolds left over from the ED days... So the EL motor got the log manifold (log manifold hangs down the side of the motor and the throttle body points forward)... As such the cruise control for these utes (keep in mind not many "entry level" utes were optioned with cruise) was an EF/EL module with a SPECIAL XH cruise control cable... It was longer and featured the fitting on one end for the EF/EL module and a fitting on the other end for the ED thottle body...

This sounds to be the cable you need... They're as rare as rocking horse s**t... My old man found one after searching Australia (cost him a fortune too) as I installed an EF/EL cruise module in his ED and he needed the long cable with fitting to clip onto the ED throttle body... I tried to make one for mine but it didn't work so well (see my build thread) it jammed on me one day... Flexible drive solutions my be able to custom make you a cable if you send them in the used cables so they can steal the fittings off them... This will too cost a fortune...

XH XR and late model utes all had the BBM (broad band manifold) which is the manifold EF/EL run and these are characterised by the 6 loops and the throttle body on top of the rocker cover pointing to the driver side of the car... These utes run the std easy to find EF/EL module with the short cable...

I would recommend you pull off the log manifold and fit the BBM manifold (just generally better) and then you wont have try to find one of these super rare XH cruise control cables... You can just run that EF/EL module you have there... Other alternative is you mount the module closer to the throttle body (will look tacky)... But you'll have to get the end fitting changed to the ED type fitting to clip onto the ED throttle body you're running (cannot mount an EF/EL throttle body on a log manifold)...

I ended up fitting a BBM to my ED... See my build thread again... (link in sig below)... first page has a contents...

Third thing...

Because the XH ute is an XF ute... I have no idea what style of pedal box they run... I'd think an XF pedal box... as such you might not be able to run the std EF/EL switch arrangement... You have to investigate and send me (us) photos of up under the dash so we can see the switch mounts on the pedal box to tell you what you need... Again unless Snap chimes in (he's an XH ute man)...

Also the EF/EL runs a back up de-activator in the master cylinder... If your ute has an XF booster and master cylinder then you wont be able to run this de activator so you'll need to mount a normally close switch somewhere and create a system so that if the brake light switch fails then the cruise will still cancel...

Lastly, Back to the clock spring...

I doubt ford made an "XH cloxk spring"... I bet you have a std EF/EL one, esp if you managed to plug an airbag into it... All you're looking for under the hornpad is a small 3 pin plug to plug into the cruise buttons... There will be nothing plugged into it at the bottom of it's wiring I'd guess so you'll have quite a bit of wiring to do up under the dash... I found it easiest to remove the dash for the cruise install...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:14 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

I know about the procession of falcon utes I've owned and worked on XF and XG utes. But I'm confused because the XH utes came with the option of an airbag for $990.

http://www.mynrma.com.au/motoring/revie ... con-xh.htm

I might have a tinker and see what i can find at my local wreckers and how the BBM will work (thanks for clearing that up). I'll have a look at my pedal box and see what I can find. It is an XF booster btw.

Hopefully see if snap chimes in, I know he's done it to his ute.

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:08 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Just search my posts - the info is already out there.
Your education will be better if you do that.

EF/EL cruise install is same - there's a tech doco here too.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:06 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Would you be able to link me to the doco?

from what i understand the wiring should be there (except the clock spring) and i'll need a different cable from the module?

Cheers :lol:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]