Fordmods Logo

dash lights not working after trip computer instal 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: dash lights not working after trip computer instal
Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:36 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: S1 AU Fairmont Ghia VCT

NSW, Australia

I just finished doing a trip computer instal in my EF GLi.
I followed the instructions given here to the letter and while I was at it,I fitted an EF Fairmont headlight switch.
My problem is I now have no instrument illumination,except when I move the dimmer switch away from its neutral position.
I will be fitting a Fairmont cluster on the weekend.Will this have any effect?
Thanks for any help.

Post subject: Re: dash lights not working after trip computer instal
Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

The Fairmont light switch operates differently to the GLi one in regards to instrument lighting. Ie, it won't work with the GLi cluster. Refit the original switch and you should be ok. Once you have the Fairmont cluster in you can put the other switch in.

Have a read of this. It should give you a better understanding of how the cluster differ in regards to the lighting. Pay particular attention to this bit and what follows it.
Quote:
With exception to the NF Fairlane cluster, and fitting Fairmont Clusters to GLi/Futura/XR models, it is possible to change between different Cluster models rather painlessly.
The Low, Mid and Police Clusters all use the same connectors, same Bulb holders, same needles, and very similar circuit boards / Needle Assemblies.
NOTE : Fairmont, Fairmont Ghia, and EL-GT Clusters are missing 1 Resistor, that is used to allow LCD Illumination, with the Park Lamps on !
When fitting an EF/EL Fairmont, EF/EL Fairmont Ghia, or ELGT Instrument Cluster to an EF/EL GLi/Futura/XR model Falcon, you will Need to add this resistor for the LCD Panels to function correctly.
Without this resistor, the LCD Panels (Clock/Trip Computer/Odometer/Climate Control) WILL NOT ILLUMINATE AT ALL WHEN THE PARK LAMPS OR HEADLAMPS HAVE BEEN TURNED ON !)
NOTE : This resistor is not required when Fitting Fairmont/Fairmont Ghia/EL-GT/Fairlane/LTD Clusters to vehicles fitted with a High Series BEM (Fairmont/Ghia/EL-GT/Fairlane/LTD)

I have a Fairmont cluster in the wagon with the GLi switch, just added the required resistor and it was fine.
Edit: Just re read what I posted and need to correct one thing. The Fairmont switch WILL NOT work unless you put a high spec BEM in. Much rewiring etc involved in doing this, so probably better off just adding the resistor.

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.

Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:31 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Thanks so much for that. I thought I had done something wrong,but you have put my mind at rest. I can live without dashlights till I fit the new cluster .I will swap the switch when the cluster is out.

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

ACT, Australia

Hi,

When you change the cluster, you will need to change the oil sender and remove the existing oil light globe. Despite what the instructions say, you can put the resister in from the front without taking the whole thing apart. I did mine that way.

Regards 96ELGli

Regards 96ELGli

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:52 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Thanks 96ELGLi.
I was hoping that the resistor could be done that way. I am waiting for my wife to return from her grothers place with my resistor in her purse. I have an oil pressure sender here for it from an ED.Yhey share the same part#,so hopefully it will work.
I might have to start a build thread,as what was origionally purchased as temp work transport ended up being not a bad thing,

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

EFrustrated wrote:
Thanks 96ELGLi.
I was hoping that the resistor could be done that way. I am waiting for my wife to return from her grothers place with my resistor in her purse. I have an oil pressure sender here for it from an ED.Yhey share the same part#,so hopefully it will work.
I might have to start a build thread,as what was origionally purchased as temp work transport ended up being not a bad thing,

The only senders that are calibrated to work with the EF/L clusters are the round ones like this. The EA-D ones wont work, or even fit in the EF-AU. The lower part of the intake manifold gets in the way.
Why they have the same part # is a mystery to me, are you sure it's off an ED? They are a longer hexagonal looking type as opposed to the round ones.
Also, have a read of this thread for info on removing the sender.

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.

Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

ACT, Australia

Hi,

I thought the sender was different, but same part number ? Anyway, the resistor is needed when you have the parkers or headlights on to dim the odometer. Without it the display will go out when you put the lights on. It is a little bit hard to put in from the front, but I thought about the risk of damaging or breaking it by pulling the whole thing apart, and no. It doesnt have to sit right on the board, better up to let air flow around it. Long nose pliers are the main thing you will use to get it in.

Regards 96ELGli

Regards 96ELGli

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:07 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

96ELGli wrote:
Hi,

I thought the sender was different, but same part number ? .

Regards 96ELGli

You are right. I had the ED sender given to me by a guy at a local wreckers hoping it would do the job. When I looked at the tridon applivation chart,it had the one part suiting Falcons,fairmonts,XRs etc as using the same sender.Part#TPS061. This is just a pressure switch. The correct sender is part#TPS069.
Can't trust catalogues.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]