Upgrading alternator 

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: Upgrading alternator
Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: "08 XR6T Ute

QLD, Australia

Can someone point me in the right direction for upgrading the alternator in my fg?
I believe standard is 130A, but beyond that I don't know much about them. So any advice would be helpful.
If it makes a difference I am just curious to find out what it takes ($ and also if other parts are required) to upgrade it to accommodate for a larger audio setup... Possibly also a second battery in the boot. But as I said, my knowledge in this field is EXTREMELY limited.

Cheers

"08 XR6T Ute

Post subject: Re: Upgrading alternator
Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:47 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

130A is already pretty a pretty damn high capacity alternator, I think you could get away with it and a dual/multi battery setup, have the audio gear on the second battery in the boot with a smart start solenoid, so it doesn't kill your main starting one, isolates it once it drops below a certain voltage.

Optima yellow top, or Supercharge all rounder in the boot, if you didn't mind losing some boot space and adding a lot of weight, a normal starting N200P in the boot would keep you going for a LONG time and they're not that expensive.

http://www.supercharge.com.au/product_detail.php?seq=99

Thats the Supercharge all rounder.

If you wanted to go a higher amperage alternator you'd have to have something custom made, fairly big $$$. Someone might suggest getting the alternator rewound but this can be a dud, because it will generally only have a high output at higher engine revs, and you could even lose a lot of amperage at idle, which would be no good at all.

These would be the guys to talk to about it though:

http://www.mechman.com/

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]